Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#10505 - 09/29/02 10:37 AM SACD & DVDA - where to buy ?
Steve_C Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Two part question.

I am considering buying a SONY DVPNS755v progressive scan DVD. (250.oo) Because my current RPTV can not use the progressive input I am interested in a player primarily for MP3 audio playback - the video may not be used at all.
This model looks like a bonus since it also plays SACD.
If I go with this unit I would like to start collecting some SACDs. I tried searching online some to see what titles and places to purchase SACDs might be available. I did not find very many SACD titles or purchasing sources, online or B&M. I found one website that gives music reviews of SACD and DVDA titles, It included links to the various record companies producing either SACD or DVDA titles. It listed about 40 record labels that produce SACDs (many more DVDA sources) so I searched through most of these but it seems like most of the labels only offer a hand full of titles on SACD. There appears to be more DVDA availble but even these titles are limited.
I have not looked in any of the bigbox electronics retailers to see if they carry any SACDs od DVDAs yet and thought I might ask here to see if anyone knows of a good source for SACDs - DVDas online or B&M.
I am thinking, given the apparent lack of SACD titles, It would be a better idea to look for a comparably priced player, Say + $200ish ? that supports DVDA and MP3's on CDR/RW.

Any model suggestions or comments on SACD -vs- DVDA are welcome.
Thanks in advance for the feed back.

:MILD RANT:
Pretty bad when SONY who helped to develop this audio format and is a major record label only has 30-40 disks available instead of hundreds.

#10506 - 09/30/02 08:51 AM Re: SACD & DVDA - where to buy ?
pegasus Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ky
I have found three good sources for SACD:
Elusive Disc.com
Tower Records.com and Amazon........there are others but most are linked to Elusive.

#10507 - 10/03/02 12:17 AM Re: SACD & DVDA - where to buy ?
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
Quote:
I am thinking, given the apparent lack of SACD titles, It would be a better idea to look for a comparably priced player, Say + $200ish ?

I have seen reports that as many as 800 titles are now available in SACD. I counted about 450 or so titles that are available today through Acoustic Sounds as an example, with more coming out every month (or week?). I believe SACD titles still far outnumber DVD-A titles at this time. SACD vs DVD-A comments? Both formats are capable of better sound reproduction than that offered by the lowly CD, but both are still in their infancy. The new hybrid SACD can be played in your CD player, DVD player and your car. This alone may drive it to the top. Why do I believe one or even both formats will survive? Short answer- maybe not so much because they sound better, but because of underlying currents like new profits that can be made on existing catalogs and the fact they might provide an answer to the piracy issues. Another reason? Multi-channel releases. If you've got a 5.1 speaker HT setup, why not use 'em all for music as well. After all, ya paid good money for them- so don't let them feel left out during those listening sessions! Besides, if one or the other became a sort of "audiophile only" format, that would be ok too. Could this be successful? I don't know, but the fact that the LD actually thrived as a niche format for videophiles while surrounded by a sea of VHS releases tells me it could work- even on this level.

#10508 - 10/03/02 06:47 AM Re: SACD & DVDA - where to buy ?
pegasus Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ky
I would not buy the Sony for any audio reason.I have a Sony 900,it is a very nice unit,however it sucks for CDs,Mp3s and SACDs.The Hybrid SACDs are worth buying,however for the time being I would try a Nad T 562 or the Rotel 1080

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts