Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#10464 - 09/16/02 09:08 AM Re: What other forum allows you to kick its' ass like this one???
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
Just try posting a review of a movie before Ron does... Ten minutes later, it'll be "What review"? And don't ever, ever, ever, refer to any studio exec, no matter what they've done, as a boob(intstant termination). Also, you don't have to do anything to get booted at all. All you need to do is be related to someone who got booted, just ask my wife.

IMO, HTF may have started out as a forum which existed to help people, forward the HT hobby, and to support a wide variety of opinions on equipment and movies; but now, it seems to exist merely for the veneration of a select group of golden idols and the self aggrandizement of a few, or one?

As a result, HTF is slowly losing its' most intelligent, experienced, and open minded HT hobbyists. It has progressed from a forum which fought hard against DiVX, to a forum which supports and defends the studios that release Pan and Scan (only) DVDs. It will always though, be a forum for the HT newbies(who don't know any better), Hollywood elitists, and those that support those hollywood boobs, and of course, HTF's little caesar.

It is surely, no longer, a true home theater forum.
merc\'s primary system

#10465 - 09/16/02 10:50 AM Re: What other forum allows you to kick its' ass like this one???
HT crazed Offline
Gunslinger

Merc - bummer about HTF finding out about your wifes account. It's cold turkey now, bud. You are right about HTF's gestapo tactics causing a brain drain. AVS has by far better information and a higher level of discourse.

But hey all these boards need to generate cash somehow. It'll be interesting see if HTF's hidden agenda model works longer term.

#10466 - 09/16/02 04:12 PM Re: What other forum allows you to kick its' ass like this one???
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Merc- If not HTF, then what?

Is AVS better? I used to surf there, but they had too many divisions, and I couldn't keep straight what was being talked about where so I gave up. But I know that there are discussions over there that never make it to HTF...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#10467 - 09/16/02 05:44 PM Re: What other forum allows you to kick its' ass like this one???
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
I surf both forums and find both useful. I do not, however, post very often. I can say that I like the people here better, and post here much more often.

#10468 - 09/16/02 07:47 PM Re: What other forum allows you to kick its' ass like this one???
bobliinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Quote:
don't ever, ever, ever, refer to any studio exec, no matter what they've done, as a boob(instant termination).

Hmm, apparently Ron doesn't know too many studio executives. I know a few and the preceding evaluation would be just a simple statement of fact.

I've been verbally abused many times on other forums just for expressing a positive opinion about the Outlaw 950, so I have some sympathy with forum moderators censoring the obnoxious. But, of course, that isn't what has been mentioned here. The examples above really do represent excessive moderator muscle in most cases.

FWIW, here's another suggestion. Go to ANY HT forum and try to discuss another HT forum. See what happens. For example, I happen to think that the lengthy DVD reviews posted on an unnamed forum are consistently uninformed, pretentious, and poorly written. But try to find a place where you can express that opinion. ("Oh, WE don't discuss OTHER forums here....")

Why should I care? Well, because I think it's a shame that film and DVD craftsmen have their best work evaluated publically by someone who has no more education or qualification in the area than my Aunt Tilly. And because of the nature of the medium, there isn't even a Letters to the Editor option to file a contrary opinion.

The Internet is great. It isn't perfect.

[This message has been edited by bobliinds (edited September 17, 2002).]

#10469 - 09/17/02 09:58 AM Re: What other forum allows you to kick its' ass like this one???
Scott Offline
Desperado

Notice:

We've always taken pride in how the Saloon has been as "un-moderated" as possible, but some of the postings in this thread are dangerously close to going over the line. We will remind all in this thread only once that you are free to express your opinion, but please do so with respect for others. NO name calling is allowed. If things don't get civil here we reserve the right to delete messages or threads as appropriate.

Best Regards,

The Outlaws

#10470 - 09/17/02 10:23 AM Re: What other forum allows you to kick its' ass like this one???
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
So as to comply with Scott's request, and not personally call anyone names, I'm gonna refer to a ficticious HT forum(Forum A) owner as John Doe or JD for short from now on.

It never amazes me how folks who moderate or own other forums, continue to come to the defense of JD, in the name of decency and fairness, when JD has in many cases previously and personally wronged them, hypothetically speaking of course.

In one case, hypothethically speaking, JD told one forum's(Forum B) owner and moderators that their mere posting presence on Forum A, was causing some of JD's members to go and join Forum B, and, that JD did not want them posting on Forum A anymore. Forum B's owner and mods complied with JD's request. But then, JD had the sheer gaul to post on Forum B, in defense of posted movie review, which was somewhat critical of that DVD's studio. JD, of course, defended the studio in the thread. Even moreso ballsy, was the fact that this review was posted on Forum B by a well known reviewer who is also not allowed to post his reviews on Forum A before JD posts his thread.

When a Forum B member criticized JD and Forum A, in response to JD's defense of the studio, Forum B's owner and mods jumped in to defend JD.

In another case, hypothetically speaking, the owner of Forum C, posted a Star Wars(AOTC?) movie review on Forum A well before JD could post his on his forum. As quick as you can say bullshot, the review was deleted. Yet, once again, Forum C's mod has come to the defense of JD and his forum, in spite of the injustice done in return by JD.

It is really admirable that these other forums can "turn the other cheek" and place themselves above the level sunk to by JD, but, in the same vein, this policy can and may do a dis-service to their members by not allowing others to notify folks of Forum A's policy of censureship, prejudice, unfairness, and their real reason to exist...hypothetically, of course.

Thank goodness for forums like this one!!!

[This message has been edited by merc (edited September 17, 2002).]
merc\'s primary system

#10471 - 09/17/02 03:19 PM Re: What other forum allows you to kick its' ass like this one???
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Most hypotheticals involve some sort of "what-if" scenario.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts