Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#10417 - 07/27/02 12:54 PM SONY TV CALIBRATION
HDCO1107 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles CA USA
I'm hoping someone can help me out with this. I bought a Sony KV-32FS10 from a friend and immediately had to make repairs when the set wouldn't turn on--just that flashing red light on the front. No problem, the friend and I worked it out.

250 bucks later, the service people had replaced something called the IC355 (part number A-1298-890-A).

Got the TV back and the picture is distorted, bending inward vertically on the left side, increasing toward the top left corner of the screen. Not fish-eye severe but noticeable when there are vertical graphics, etc.

So my question is, should the repair people have recalibrated the TV after installing this part? They didn't. Searching on the web, it seems that this may be necessary. I've tried to get the TV into the service mode to do it myself, but haven't been able to. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and one more thing, I've disconnected everything (including the Outlaw 1050)and the distortion is still there with an antenna connected.

#10418 - 07/27/02 02:04 PM Re: SONY TV CALIBRATION
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Just me. Yes, raise Cain with them saying you repaired my TV, but look at this pic!

I have never used a calibration, but if a part trade out affected calibration, in my book that would include while on site the service people finishing the 'part replacement' job by tweaking calibration to account for changes due to part change out.

They could argue that the part had nothing to do with your calibration being off that it must have already needed adjustment. Requiring a request by you for that added paid service. Sounds like you did not 'see' the pic before to be able to tell them that calibration was correct before the part install. That would be your grey area right now.

I found this site the other day, and since I just purchased a Sony bookmarked it. Have not really looked at it too closely yet. It might be helpful to you. And never having messed with service menu's myself, I would guess out of the gate, be careful whose advice you use when mucking in service menu’s.

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brandspecific/sony/sony_tips.html
or
http://members.accessus.net/~090/awh/sonyadj.html#sony

I have not checked out the validity of either of these sites yet.

#10419 - 07/28/02 12:29 PM Re: SONY TV CALIBRATION
HDCO1107 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles CA USA
Thanks! That second website was the most helpful one I found, as they give an explanation for the meaning of the service codes. I finally entered the service mode and managed to correct some stuff though I'm still getting the tech people out here on Monday. I will be curious to see whether THEY have any idea about what all the codes mean as I've seen responses now about this on various threads saying that few people really understand how to put all the convergence, alignment, etc. stuff in order. I guess it's like piano tuning--you can read it in a book but no sub. for experience.

#10420 - 09/13/02 11:05 PM Re: SONY TV CALIBRATION
Jim Christian Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Thousand Oaks, California

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts