Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#10314 - 03/25/03 09:54 AM DVDA and SACD releases
Kiwi Offline
Gunslinger

Maybe we can give these two mediums a push along and help each camp with their terrible attempts at exposing themselves to the general public ! These discs are far superior to CD, and it would be a shame if it all went the way of Betamax tape (which was apparently superior to VHS in every way, but lost!)
I would like to see individual disc reviews, favorite disc reviews, opinions on which medium sounds better to you and of course why, will these two even survive? Where do we buy these bad boys? What player are you using and what are its peculiarities with either format?
ETC. ETC.
I'd like to start the ball rolling with my opinion on the recent release of Pink Floyds Dark Side on SACD. Maybe I built up too much expectation during the waiting period, but I'm disappointed. Maybe because Guthrie was doing a remix from admittedly old master tapes, or possibly something is lost when the disk is a hybrid (it will also play on a standard CD player), but to me the dynamics are missing. I believe Alan Parsons was considered for the remix job, but it was given to James Guthrie. I personally love everything Parsons has done!By comparison, the David Bowie SACD "Heathen", is way more open, alive and airy, though the music itself it not my cup of tea! This disc however benefitted from originating with surround SACD in mind, instead of remixing.
Please, lets see some rebuttal !

#10315 - 03/25/03 01:58 PM Re: DVDA and SACD releases
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Kiwi,

Also check out http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ for tons of reviews on DVD-A and SACD discs.

Jeff

Who's Online
0 registered (), 83 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM