Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#10218 - 03/25/09 12:13 PM advice on selling the Fathom
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Outside Phila.
Thankfully this isn't a post about hard luck economic times. But I've seriously been considering the F112 Fathom sub that I won a year ago. The way I've been looking at it, the proceeds of the sale could fund some other toys that I'm thinking of getting.

My main concern is that I don't want to ship the Fathom. It's well over 100 lbs and I think I might struggle to pack it as well as JL did when they shipped to me. Plus the box isn't brand new anymore, bearing the brunt of the initial ship. I'm thinking of selling it locally but I wonder if I'll even find a local buyer. If I were to have to custom pack it on my dime, it would probably cost enough that I don't think it would be worth it to me. How have you guys in the past shipped something like this? If you think local, what are the best venues online to find a buyer? Audiogon?

TIA
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
Elite DV-47Ai Universal SACD/DVD-A
Citypulse DA7.2x II + TXCO DAC
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112
Denon AH-D2000 Headphones

#10219 - 03/25/09 01:56 PM Re: advice on selling the Fathom
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I sold and shipped a sub several years ago that weighed approx. 50lbs. Not terribly heavy compared to the Fathom. I did not have the original box, so I used a box I found at work. I bought a pack of styrofoam insulation from Home Depot. There was about 6-8 sheets in the pack and that was enough to line the box. I added styrofoam peanuts I grabbed from the shipping dept. to fill in the gaps. The sub was delivered in perfect condition.

With yours, I would try and use the original packing since you still have it. Reinforce it where needed with strong packing tape. If the sub is too heavy to handle, flip it upside down. Lower the packing over the sub including the box, then flip the whole thing right side up. That way you are not trying to lift the sub's weight, but rather simply "rolling" the sub. State in your post that you can either split shipping with the buyer, or have them cover it. I'm sure there is a lot of demand for that sub, so a bargain price will leave room for the buyer to pay some of the shipping.

There is a site I just sold my Axiom QS8's through. Free listing. tweakcityaudio.com

Good luck!

#10220 - 04/07/09 12:22 AM Re: advice on selling the Fathom
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Outside Phila.
Cadboy -

Just wanted to drop a line to say thanks for the advice. I think I've decided to keep the Fathom though the advice isn't throw-away. I will be likely selling off some other equipment in the near future, once I get my hands on everything, assess my needs and give what's needed a proper home. All else will be sent packing...(unless the nature of my being and attachment to inanimate audio equipment overcomes me!)
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
Elite DV-47Ai Universal SACD/DVD-A
Citypulse DA7.2x II + TXCO DAC
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112
Denon AH-D2000 Headphones

Who's Online
1 registered (butchgo), 118 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts