Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#10135 - 08/21/08 10:09 PM Proper Wiring for 2 stereo pair outdoor speakers
gooomz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: new york
what is the proper way to wire 4 outdoor speakers?

the space is big enough where i would want 4 speakers to cover the entire area. just want to make sure their wired to my outlaw the right way.

also, since we're on the subject, what is the proper way to wire speakers in a store persay with 10 ceiling speakers. how would that be wired correctly to provide the best stereo imaging?

#10136 - 08/22/08 02:30 AM Re: Proper Wiring for 2 stereo pair outdoor speakers
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
What are you wiring them to? If you are driving both pairs with one pair of amp channels, there is a specific way to do it (don't have it handy here on the phone I'm browsing on). If you have four amp channels, all you need is a pair of "Y" splitters.

For five pairs of speakers, I would recommend a distribution amp built for that purpose (with 10 separate amp channels).

#10137 - 08/22/08 02:38 AM Re: Proper Wiring for 2 stereo pair outdoor speakers
gooomz Offline
Gunslinger

for the outdoor speakers iwould like to use outlaw products to power them. what outlaws would i need? monoblocks?

with the 5 pair of speakers, nothing i could use from outlaw?
and with 5 pair of speakers just put all the left channels on the left side of the room and the right speakers on the right side?

#10138 - 08/22/08 02:49 AM Re: Proper Wiring for 2 stereo pair outdoor speakers
gonk Offline
Desperado

You've got seven pairs of speakers to drive? One option is a pair of 7075's, but there's more to it when you start driving the same signal in that many directions. You will need a way to split the source that many ways. We're getting into whole-house distribution at this point.

#10139 - 08/22/08 11:32 AM Re: Proper Wiring for 2 stereo pair outdoor speakers
gooomz Offline
Gunslinger

there are 2 pair of outdoor speakers to drive. thats one system.

the other separate system is the basement which has 5 pair of ceiling speakers to drive. which outlaw products can i use for these two systems?

who makes distribution amps anyway?

#10140 - 08/22/08 11:34 AM Re: Proper Wiring for 2 stereo pair outdoor speakers
gooomz Offline
Gunslinger

there are 2 pair of outdoor speakers to drive. thats one system.

the other separate system is the basement which has 5 pair of ceiling speakers to drive. which outlaw products can i use for these two systems?

who makes distribution amps anyway?

#10141 - 08/22/08 02:06 PM Re: Proper Wiring for 2 stereo pair outdoor speakers
gonk Offline
Desperado

Personally, I'm not used to seeing very "high end" speakers set up outdoors, so I'm not very quick to suggest investing in amps of the caliber of Outlaw. A pair of M2200 monoblocks could be used to drive the two pairs (they can handle the 4 ohm load that's almost certainly going to be generated by wiring two speakers back to a single amp), but that's around $675 in amplification and a whole lot of power dedicated to some outdoor speakers. Seems like overkill to me, I guess. A 7075 costs about the same as that and would give you three extra channels, but I don't know what you'd do with them. If you had some speakers in an adjacent room that you wanted to have fed with the same signal going outdoors, you could do that, but there still seem like some less expensive options that would serve the purpose fine. Even something like this curious beastie could do the job, and a pair of them would cost a bit over $200. The in-wall amp is probably only a good choice if you are opening up a wall to run wires or you are building new, since the front power connection would make me want to locate the amp's junction box low in the wall or at least behind some sort of furniture, but other "conventional chassis" small amps can be had for a comparable price (see either the used market or someplace like Parts Express .

Is this basement a single open space? I'm trying to understand the need for ten speakers in the space with a stereo source being distributed to them all.

Distribution amps and similar switching and distribution hardware is a distinct market, so many of the names that dominate it are unfamiliar outside of that niche. Sites like Home Tech sell a lot of this sort of stuff: IR distribution, lighting control, drapery control, home automation, racks, in-wall wiring, and unusual wall plates. An example of a distribution amp is this 12x40W model, which could drive all ten of those basement speakers with two channels to spare.

#10142 - 08/22/08 03:53 PM Re: Proper Wiring for 2 stereo pair outdoor speakers
Bob Becker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, D.C.
My recollection is that the way you wire them depends on whether you want to maintain the same impedance or not. If you have a 2-channel system and you want to use 2 8-ohm speakers on each channel you wire them in parallel to maintain 8 ohms or series to reduce the impedance to 4 ohms.

But that takes me a long way back to shop class in high school.

Bob

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts