Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#990 - 01/28/02 12:30 AM My 1050 shuts off now
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I've had my 1050 for a few weeks now without a single problem. Today, though, I was playing a videw game (GT3, if you haven't played it, you gotta try it) when I had to go to the bathroom. I left the game on pause, but the music was still playing in the background.

When I returned from the bathrrom, there was no more sound and the 1050 had turned off. I tried to turn it on, but it immediately turned off again.

The first thing I suspected was the autoprotect feature, so I checked all the speaker connections to make sure nothing was shorted. Nothing was, so I tried disconnecting the speakers completely from the rear of the 1050, just to be sure. Unit still won't turn on. I also unplugged all the RCA jacks and the optical cable, but still no dice. I also tried disconnecting power for a while, then reconnecting. No dice.

Two more things that are odd: For one, if I press the power button, nothing happens. When I press it a second time, the unit turns on and then shuts off. Second, just as the unit starts to turn off, it displays something, scrolling from the right. I only see as far as "sys" before it fades back to black.

I was playing the game through the optical-in on the 1050, and nothing at all was disturbed while I was in the bathroom, so I'm completely confounded. Has anyone out there seen anything remotely like this with a 1050? Any suggestions?

I'm getting a new CD megachanger delivered on Tuesday and it will really kill me if I can't play with it right away.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#991 - 01/28/02 03:06 AM Re: My 1050 shuts off now
stott Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA
I would contact outlaw. Sounds like you need a new unit to me though.

------------------
Stott

#992 - 01/28/02 01:16 PM Re: My 1050 shuts off now
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Yeah, I think you're right. Was hoping that someone had a "did you remember to xxx" type of comment, though.

I sent them an e-mail a few hours ago. We'll see what happens. Even given the legendary Outlaw C.S., though, I doubt I'll have a working receiver before my megachanger arrives. Especially if it requires putting the thing back in a box and sending it somewhere. *sigh* oh well.

#993 - 01/28/02 02:34 PM Re: My 1050 shuts off now
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Wow... the Outlaws just made a liar out of me. I got an e-mail saying that they're shipping a replacement unit to me TONIGHT! If it's coming via DHL (the letter didn't say), that means it could actually get here before my megachanger.

I can say that I've never dealt with a customer service department like this before, and I'll be happy to send them my money again once the 950 is released.

I'm still curious about what happened to my unit, though. Maybe they'll tell me after I ship it to them and they get a chance to look at it.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#994 - 01/28/02 02:41 PM Re: My 1050 shuts off now
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I didn't say anything, but I thought we might see some sort of post along those lines today or tomorrow -- the few cases around here where units need replacement seem to typically be handled quickly by having units shipped out before the defective ones are returned. I didn't know much about their customer service before I ordered my 1050 (just positive comments in reviews at sites like AudioReview), but I did start to hear about stuff like this before I decided to add a five-channel amp last summer, and it made my decision to go with a 750 that much easier (and my decision to get on the 950 reservation list more recently).

------------------
Gonk

#995 - 01/28/02 03:06 PM Re: My 1050 shuts off now
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Yeah... the only thing that makes me nervous is that I still don't know what caused it. What if *I* caused it? If so, I would hope that whatever behavior of mine caused it, won't be repeated by me. I would very much hate to receive another 1050 and do something stupid to it to make it fail again.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#996 - 01/28/02 07:02 PM Re: My 1050 shuts off now
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
I sure it has a thermal protect, is it possible it overheated? Just a thought since that could be caused by just sitting there. You don't have any kids that stuck a coin in there or anything like that?

m-mmeyer
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#997 - 01/29/02 05:30 PM Re: My 1050 shuts off now
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

No, nobody lives in the house except me and the microorganisms. Also, the device is sitting on its own shelf with nothing to the sides or top, so I don't think I cooked it. If it was the thermal protect, wouldn't I be able to expect that it would eventually cool down and then function again?

This has me confounded. Well, I guess I'll know soon enough, once I ship it back.

On another note, the megachanger came today, and the new 1050 didn't. Well, I guess I have to wait a few days to play with my toy.

#998 - 01/29/02 07:32 PM Re: My 1050 shuts off now
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
All depends on if the thermal was a sacrifical type or not, some units have them. We may never know what happened. It doesn't sound like anything you did, since most things we can do to them they can recover from. The best things are worth waiting for. Right?

m-mmeyer
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#999 - 01/30/02 01:53 PM Re: My 1050 shuts off now
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Actually, I ran the cable from the megachanger to one of the unused inputs on my TV, which is doubling as my "audio system" until my 1050 is back in operation. I just had to unpack it and listen to it last night.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 150 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts