Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#10082 - 08/10/08 07:33 PM Ideas for Music Server
gooomz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: new york
Building a HT/ Music system for my pops. He always scratches his CDs. Wanted to input his CD's into a server component which would feed my outlaw setup. Any ideas or brands on where to begin looking for that good quality music server to store all his music and then be able to output it in an high quality sound and is easy to use?

#10083 - 08/10/08 10:16 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
First step may be to find a media client that he would be comfortable with. Slim Devices (now owned by Logitech) has the SqueezeBox, which a lot of people really like. There is also the Sonos system, although it is a bit pricey. I've got a Roku SoundBridge, but it is an older platform and not especially impressive in the first place (at least in my mind). There is also Apple, who have both the Airport Express (no local controls unless pops carries an iPhone) and the AppleTV. Once you find the client you like, it will impose some limits on what server app and hardware you use.

#10084 - 08/10/08 10:19 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
gonk Offline
Desperado

Also, think about high quality you are interested in - you may need to think about lossless formats like FLAC or Apple Lossless or even raw WAV files, and support for such files varies between clients. It will also affect how much disc spaceypur server needs.

#10085 - 08/11/08 05:44 AM Re: Ideas for Music Server
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
I use a Linksys Music Bridge between my PC and my 990. The Music Bridge has both coax and optical digital outputs. I've used a couple of different music programs but settled on iTunes. I now rip my music in lossless AIFF format (with the iTunes correction feature on). Ripping to AIFF takes a significant amount of space but with hard drives so cheap (1TB for $275) ripping to WAV or AIFF is no big deal now.

To control iTunes there are now a couple of options. The iTouch and iPhone both have software available that will turn them into remotes for iTunes assuming you have a Mac computer. For those with PCs the Keyspan's Tuneview RF remote mimics the iTunes music library, including playlists.

Good luck with your search.

#10086 - 08/11/08 04:28 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
gooomz Offline
Gunslinger

so avfan, if i use apple tv to stream lossless music to my 990, can i use a logitech universal remote to control my apple tv, which would control my music?

#10087 - 08/11/08 04:51 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
gonk Offline
Desperado

If you use the Apple TV, you can use a universal remote - it comes with an IR remote of its own and a user interface you can view on the TV, so you can learn the commands to a Harmony remote (it's probably already in their database, actually). The only time you need to control iTunes directly is with a device like that Linksys Music Bridge or an Airport Express.

#10088 - 08/17/08 04:57 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
gooomz Offline
Gunslinger

any thoughts on using an actual imac as a music server placing the computer near my 990 and using itunes? good idea?

i think i can control it with a universal remote right and maybe output the video of my itunes to my plasma tv. does that work out?

#10089 - 08/17/08 06:03 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
gonk Offline
Desperado

New iMacs and Mac Minis come with an IR remote, I believe, so in theory it would certainly work - but I'd want to make sure they have a digital audio output as well. Of course, if you have a computer already and can get a network connection to your equipment rack (wired or wireless, something you'd want either way), it would be cheaper to get an AppleTV. You could even add a hard drive to an existing PC and get an AppleTV for less than a Mac Mini.

#10090 - 08/17/08 06:34 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
gooomz Offline
Gunslinger

yeah but does even the apple tv have a digital audio output?

#10091 - 08/17/08 07:02 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
gonk Offline
Desperado

Yes, the AppleTV has an optical output. It also has video outputs (component and HDMI, plus maybe composite) so you have an on-screen interface for controlling it, and a hard drive for storing some content on it locally. Check it out for specifics.

By the way, I looked - both the iMac and Mac Mini have optical outputs, but they are the 1.8" mini-jack style also found on the Airport Express, so you can't use a standard optical cable. The AppleTV actually has a standard optical connection.

#10092 - 08/17/08 08:53 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
ndskurfer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bismarck, ND
gooomz -
I am running a Slim Devices Squeezebox (SB3) and streaming FLAC (lossless) files from my computer's hard drive.

You can either stream over wifi (built into the SB3) if you have a wireless router, or hard wire an ethernet cable (which is what I do).

I programmed my Harmony remote so that it controls the SB3.

As for digital audio output, the SB3 has both coax and optical outs. I run my coax ditital out to an external DAC then into my preamp (at least I did till I sold my old stereo - in transition right now).

My parents actually bought 2 of them and introduced it to me a couple of years ago. They are quite amazing, and a lot of fun. You can actually sync them up if you wish.

The one catch to enjoying music off a hard drive is that you get your tags and format consistent/correct. I've spent hours and hours organizing my library so that I have consistent Genres, etc. My parents have a mess in their library, so it is a bit more difficult finding what you want. They have many forced playlists that they have created, which is not as efficient as sorting by tags. I hear that itunes has great software for this, but I used "tag and rename" for tags, along with "exact audio copy" for ripping.

#10093 - 08/18/08 12:03 AM Re: Ideas for Music Server
gooomz Offline
Gunslinger

if possible i guess it would be better to run a hard line from AppleTV to my imac correct?

and i have to ask, any loss in sound quality by using appletv? i know its all digital and the source depends and all, but any gitter issues or interference that could possible degrade sound quality?

#10094 - 08/18/08 12:32 AM Re: Ideas for Music Server
gonk Offline
Desperado

You will want some sort of network connection to whatever device is near your 990 (be it an iMac, an AppleTV, a SqueezeBox, or something else entirely). That can be wired or wireless, and it shouldn't matter which.

The key factor for sound quality will be the original files - compared to the compression scheme used (or lack thereof if its lossless), everything else will be secondary. That's true for any of these devices.

#10095 - 08/18/08 12:37 AM Re: Ideas for Music Server
ndskurfer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bismarck, ND
Only problem I had with wireless in my last home was in the kitchen. Each time we used the microwave, our connection to the SB3 was lost. But like Gonk said, get the compression right when ripping music to your hard drive.

#10096 - 08/18/08 10:51 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
Oy of Mid-World Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bartlett, TN
To throw another system into the mix, I have been using TVersity on my PC to stream music/video wirelessly to my PS3. The PS3 then sends the audio to the 990. The PS3 shows the computer's folders/file names for the songs on the TV screen. You just click to the album or specific song you want to hear.

It works great for MP3 files. I'm not sure about the high quality aspect of it though.

The drawbackis that the setup did take a lot of trial & error to get my network to recognize the PS3.

Oy
5 Outlaw 2200's
L/C/R speakers: Outlaw LCR
L/R Surround speakers: Axiom QS8
Outlaw LFM-1 Plus
Sony PS3
Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD
Comcast 8300HD DVR
URC MX-850

#10097 - 08/18/08 11:26 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
Yeah, I'm using TVersity with my 360. It works good, but it's not for the technophobe. The latest version is pretty solid.

It will also transcode from just about any type of file to what the 360 or PS3 can understand, so that's useful.

I think by default it transcodes from FLAC to wav on 360, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I've done the Pepsi challenge between FLAC and MP3 transcoded by TVersity and I can't tell the difference.

TVersity will also allow you to view videos and photos stored from PC on your TV.

#10098 - 08/18/08 11:27 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
gonk Offline
Desperado

This is another option, and both the PS3 and Xbox360 offer some capabilities in this regard. What I don't know is what lossless formats each will support.

#10099 - 08/18/08 11:30 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

I think that raw audio (wav) is the only lossless that 360 supports.

I should add that in order to transcode from a specific media format you have to have the proper codec installed on your PC. Usually not a problem for audio files unless you get into the more obscure types. TVersity has a codec pack that covers most of the usual file types you would deal with.

#10100 - 08/18/08 11:33 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Yes, you can read at the FAQ http://tversity.com/support/faq/#troubleshooting-faq that they transcode to WAV since just about all media servers, including the PS3 and 360, handle the WAV format.

#10101 - 02/23/09 09:16 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Waukesha, Wisconsin
I'll throw in my 2 cents and recommend the Logitech Squeezebox Duet system. Each duet consists of one receiver box that sits next to your audio system and plugs in through a digital or analogue cable,and a handheld remote controller. The duet remote is the real beauty of this system..it is really well done.

It fits in your hand nicely and feels like a quality piece of work. It has a color LCD screen and a scroll wheel that allow you to access all of your music library..including the album covers and info. It also allows access to thousands on internet radio stations and music services such as Rhapsody.

The sound quality using the digital outs into your own systems dac...like those in the 990 for example, is superb. Every bit the equal of the sound from a high end cd player. And it's ridiculously cheap.
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
OPPO BDP-83 universal player
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

#10102 - 03/04/09 07:48 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
pmn1 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Orlando
What ever you do - Don't get a Cambridge Audio Music server - It Sucks

#10103 - 03/05/09 07:40 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
edcon Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, South Carolina
How about the HP MediaSmart Connect?

http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/product/product_detail/KC816AA%2523ABA/1?jumpid=in_r329_personalization/browse1/PDP_PDP

Anybody have one or know about this system?

#10104 - 03/10/09 11:05 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
edcon
I checked out the web site. Thanks the lead. I am not that knowledgeable about computers so please bare with me.
Do I assume that besides connecting this unit to my Home Theater system and buying external harddrives all that I would have to do is download my music and movies into my iMac?

Thanks
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

#10105 - 03/11/09 01:07 AM Re: Ideas for Music Server
edcon Offline
Gunslinger

rubbersoul,

I must apologize. I jumped into this thread late and was also soliciting an opinion regarding a media server. I just read through your original post and this unit does not meet some of your criteria, specifically the highest resolution output is 720P, with blueray I would assume you want 1080P. It’s not real clear on this because spec sheet has a footnote “ 2 EDTV or HDTV that supports 1080i, 1080p, or 720p input is required.”

Further the system is designed to work with Microsoft Vista . iMac may or may not be compatible. It’s not listed as supported. I have no experience with iMAc. So I’m afraid I haven’t been much help here. Maybe someone a little more knowledgeable can jump in here.

The system appears to meet my needs as I have an HP computer with Vista. So I will upload my cd's and a few movies to my computer using winows media player lossless format (buy an extra Hard drive internal or external) and I can play through my 990 w/ graphic interface on TV.

Note: I have been reluctent to do anything other than pop a cd into a dedicated player for music so this is a big step for me.

#10106 - 03/11/09 07:23 AM Re: Ideas for Music Server
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

Note: I have been reluctent to do anything other than pop a cd into a dedicated player for music so this is a big step for me.

Go for it. I was always reluctant to go away from listening to actual CD's as well..until I set up a squeezebox Duet system. I absolutely love it and will never go back to looking all over trying to find a particula CD and then forgetting most of the ones I have.

I spent a few weeks and ripped all of my CD collection..over a thousand CD's, onto a one terabyte drive on my main computer. I have a second one terabyte drive that backs up the first. I used the wma- lossless format and the results are very very satisfying. I can't tell the difference between the CD and the squeezebox when running the duet digital out into my DAC.

I have my cd's packed away in the closet in boxes just in case I ever want to see what they looked like. The duet shows me the album covers and all of the song and artist info right on a nice color lcd screen on the remote.
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

#10107 - 03/11/09 06:57 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
edcon Offline
Gunslinger

Strindl,

I am going to just what you outlined and for all the reasons you mentioned. I ordered the HP Media Connect, should have it this Thursday.

#10108 - 03/11/09 08:02 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
Thanks Edcon, My projecter is at best 1080i or 720p.
As far as the unit being compatible I will have to look further.
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

#10109 - 03/11/09 08:49 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

I am going to just what you outlined and for all the reasons you mentioned. I ordered the HP Media Connect, should have it this Thursday.

I took at look at that just now on the HP website. I like the fact that it does video as well as audio. From what I could tell, it doesn't look like there is any method for browsing your audio collection without having a TV monitor on though. Is that correct?

That's the beauty of the squeezebox duet system...the LCD color display on the remote controller. That system does not do video though.

Scott
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

#10110 - 03/11/09 11:24 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
edcon Offline
Gunslinger

Yes you need a monitor. I liked what I read about the Squeeze Box as well, however I have a Harmony One and wanted to stay with a single remote. Plus I like the idea of a large display (maybe because I need reading glasses these days).

#10111 - 03/12/09 07:08 AM Re: Ideas for Music Server
dvenardos Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Thousand Oaks, Ca
Quote:
Originally posted by edcon:
Yes you need a monitor. I liked what I read about the Squeeze Box as well, however I have a Harmony One and wanted to stay with a single remote. Plus I like the idea of a large display (maybe because I need reading glasses these days).
I have the Squeezbox 3, same as the Squeezebox Classic and it works fine with the Harmony 620 and you can adjust the size of the text to your liking.

#10112 - 03/12/09 12:17 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
edcon Offline
Gunslinger

I see where the harmony remote would work for the squeeze box 3; however, the duet has a remote with an LCD screed instead of the display on the main unit itself. The duet remote has the art cover work, artist info and song list. The Harmony One may be capable of displaying this info, not sure. Squeeze Box definitely has solid products; I just like the idea of having the display on my large screen HDTV. If I were using for music only I would probably get the duet.

#10113 - 03/16/09 07:23 PM Re: Ideas for Music Server
Ritchie Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Richmond Tx
I have a laptop that I rip my CD's to the lossless WMA files to then run a Behringer U-Control from the laptop USB. The Behringer box has a optical audio out that I connect to the 970. No need for a monitor as I can look at the laptop screen or I could runn a DV cable to the 970 and see the menu, pics or video on TV. The sound quality is very good.

I noticed that there are two different audio devices that show up in the advanced speaker config. One is the Behringer USB, which is what the laptop chooses when I plug the usb cable into the center USB port (in the back of laptop). And USB Audio CODECS which is used if I plug into the other two USB ports. The USB Audio CODECS is a bit better.

Outlaw 970 or 990
(2) NAD C-272 amps
Sony (ES) SACD Player
(4) JBL 29Av-1 Speakers
JBL ES250PWCH 12" Sub
Dell GX620.
Asus sound card Optical out.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
1 registered (butchgo), 118 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts