Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#10079 - 11/05/09 05:41 PM New Gunslinger lookin for Tips
John Appleby Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cuyahoga Falls , Ohio
Hello All,

Just purchased a 950 and became an Outlaw. Love it but have some questions and need some recommendations. First let me lay out my system

950 pre/processor
GFA-555 front amp
GFA-2535 Center/rear surround amp(3 channel mode)
Panasonic combo DVD/VCR Recorder
General Instruments set top Cable box
Vizio 37" 720P LCD TV
DVD using Monster S-Video and Optical outputs
Boston Acoustics RS-260 Front speakers with Design Acoustics passive 10" Subwoofer
Boston Acoustics CS225 Center Channel
Boston Acoustics HD6 rear speakers

First off, Remote control is difficult to use. Main volume takes 2 seconds of pushing before 950 reacts. replaced batteries - no change. I have a logitec harmony and it does fine...any recommendations?

Second - picture quality is fair to my Visio 720P 37" LCD TV. Currently using monster S-Video cables...should I hook up the HDMI output of the DCD direct to the TV for Viewing?

Third - two of my digital input covers are missing, any one know of a source to replace these?

Thanks for reading and looking forward to shooting the sh**t around the campfire...

John
Adcom GFA-555 front amp
Adcom GFA-2535 C/R amp
Macmini computer with Blu-Ray drive
Amazon Fire Stick
Epson Projector
Boston Acoustics RS-620 Front with Infinity active 12" sub and Polk CS250-S Center Channel
Boston Acoustics HD6 rear speakers
Monster interconnects and speaker wires

#10080 - 11/05/09 07:43 PM Re: New Gunslinger lookin for Tips
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Use the Harmony. I have the "ONE" and it is excellent. Probably the best gear I own. By all means get off S-video and on the HDMI. S-Video won't output HDTV.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#10081 - 11/06/09 04:51 AM Re: New Gunslinger lookin for Tips
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
First off, Remote control is difficult to use. Main volume takes 2 seconds of pushing before 950 reacts. replaced batteries - no change. I have a logitec harmony and it does fine...any recommendations?
I'm not sure why the remote is behaving oddly. Is anything other than volume affected? For what it's worth, the Harmony should have the 950 in its database so you should be able to retire the original remote. After all these years, my wife still says that our universal remote is the best upgrade we've ever made to the system. The first remote to get that praise was an MX-500, but the MX-700 and MX-900 have also been popular once I got their setup dialed in.
Quote:
Second - picture quality is fair to my Visio 720P 37" LCD TV. Currently using monster S-Video cables...should I hook up the HDMI output of the DCD direct to the TV for Viewing?
If you are using s-video from your DVD/VCR, you are right smack in the middle of the road for output options from that source: both component and HDMI offer the potential for video improvement, with HDMI generally being the recommended video option these days if it's available.

Are you using the Vizio's over-the-air tuner to get HD television broadcasts? If so, I'd suggest connecting the TV's digital audio output (probably optical) to the 950 so you can get Dolby Digital 5.1 when it is available.
Quote:
Third - two of my digital input covers are missing, any one know of a source to replace these?
I do not, although I've somehow accumulated a collection of them over the years from various components. It shouldn't hurt anything for them to be missing.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 114 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts