Drive a 4ohm, 12" passive sub with an M2200?

Posted by: peteh

Drive a 4ohm, 12" passive sub with an M2200? - 06/12/20 08:10 AM

Sub is down-firing, in a ported cabinet. I've been using a Dayton Audio SA230, which works fine, when it's working. Looking for a more robust, reliable solution.

Anyone using an M2200 to run a subwoofer?
Does this have enough power to meet peak demands from movie soundtracks?

Thanks,
PeteH
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Drive a 4ohm, 12" passive sub with an M2200? - 06/15/20 11:57 AM

Depending on the size of the sub and its enclosure the 2200 will probably be a little undersized but better than the old amp.
Posted by: Outlaw Ben

Re: Drive a 4ohm, 12" passive sub with an M2200? - 06/15/20 12:26 PM

If you'd like, we can do some logarithms for you to help calculate that; open up a support ticket for a power amplifier recommendation at support.outlawaudio.com . We would need to know impedance of the driver as well as sensitivity and room size. There are obviously some things we can't take into account for remotely, like destructive interference and the impact of your cabinet. We would have to calculate the power assuming nothing negative was occurring, (which is almost never the case), and then recommend additional headroom for when there is.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Drive a 4ohm, 12" passive sub with an M2200? - 06/16/20 09:45 AM

You might be better off waiting until the M8 subs go on sale and then getting two of them for not much more than the 2200 amp.
Posted by: EEman

Re: Drive a 4ohm, 12" passive sub with an M2200? - 06/18/20 07:32 AM

Interesting question but everyone is right that you need to look deeper into the specs.

For example my old sub was based on the Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4, a 4-ohm, 10" driver, driven by the 240W DA plate amp. Worked fine but the specs on the driver said it could handle 350 watts so no, I wasn't giving it all the power it could handle.

When the time came to upgrade my bass I considered building a new sub or buying the Ultra X-12. For a variety of reasons (time, money, etc.) I decided on the X-12 and have been very happy. Although I still have the 15" 1000W sealed subwoofer idea floating around in the back of my head smile