L.O.T.R. Return of the king.

Posted by: Lasher

L.O.T.R. Return of the king. - 05/25/04 10:25 PM

This has to be one of the best sound tracks I've heard to date. Not to mention a damn good movie The placement of sounds is right where they should be and the Bass will shake your chair. This is a must own.(or the box set will be) Let me know what you think

Lasher

[This message has been edited by Lasher (edited May 25, 2004).]
Posted by: Spiker

Re: L.O.T.R. Return of the king. - 05/26/04 09:51 AM

3 1/2 hours long for a movie? Terrible! It’s a bad movie.

Just kidding. I saw it in the theater and loved it.
I’m waiting for DVD extended edition which will take another 6 months and haven’t seen the one came out yesterday, so I wanted to ask you this. Did you see it in the theater? If you did, how would you compare the soundtrack of theater versus this DVD?

[This message has been edited by Spiker (edited May 26, 2004).]

Re: L.O.T.R. Return of the king. - 05/26/04 02:12 PM

I don't think I've been to the theater in maby 3yrs. Our local theater is priced to high for the poor condition it is in. Now if someone would open up a drive-in again you couldn't keep me away

Lasher
Posted by: curegeorg

Re: L.O.T.R. Return of the king. - 05/26/04 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiker:
Did you see it in the theater? If you did, how would you compare the soundtrack of theater versus this DVD?

[This message has been edited by Spiker (edited May 26, 2004).]

Yes, and I preferred the theater sound to the dvds. it was a little more encompassing and immersive. granted more speakers and louder will do that, but it is a good one none the less.
Posted by: bestbang4thebuck

Re: L.O.T.R. Return of the king. - 05/26/04 03:03 PM

IMHO, most theaters are not in excellent audio condition. It's a business, not an audiophile's dream. All they need to do is get paying customers to come through the door and all they have to do to do that is not disappoint the average Joe/Jane. While I have not seen the third Rings DVD yet, almost without exception I think my HT with DVD has outperformed any regular theater I have been to in years.
Posted by: Unferth

Re: L.O.T.R. Return of the king. - 05/26/04 03:23 PM

I agree bb4tb.. My wife has said that she likes the sound of our setup better than movie theaters...

I haven't seen the 3rd LOTR on dvd either and I'm trying to make myself wait for a box set or something otherwise I will have bought all 3 movies twice
Posted by: JT Clark

Re: L.O.T.R. Return of the king. - 05/26/04 03:35 PM

Lasher, could you fix the title to say the soundtrack? I think a lot of people are getting confused and seem to think the movie is out now.

There's only one theater that I like in my area. It costs a lot though. I don't know how much longer I can get away with using my student ID either.

After being into audio for a little while I can't believe how bad some of the theaters are!
Posted by: gonk

Re: L.O.T.R. Return of the king. - 05/26/04 03:43 PM

Actually, it came out yesterday (unless you have the willpower to ignore the theatrical release and wait for the Extended Edition this fall). I'd offer my thoughts on the DVD, but I didn't have a chance to watch it last night. The supertrailer on disc 2 was pretty fun, though.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

Re: L.O.T.R. Return of the king. - 05/26/04 04:14 PM

The movie is out JT and worth seeing/hearing

Lasher
Posted by: Cadboy

Re: L.O.T.R. Return of the king. - 05/26/04 04:23 PM

I saw it in the theater with my 9-year old son....it was his second time seeing it! We are on the waiting list at the library to get the DVD when thay have it. The only problem is my main TV is dead and I have a 20" RCA filling in. The first two movies sound great over the system, so I'd imagine this one to be every bit as spectacular!

Re: L.O.T.R. Return of the king. - 05/26/04 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lasher:
The movie is out JT and worth seeing/hearing

Lasher

Ok, now are you speaking of the music while watching the movie or separate from it?

Re: L.O.T.R. Return of the king. - 05/26/04 04:56 PM

The movie is not that scarrrrryyyy. I never turned the TV off not even once

Lasher
Posted by: Spiker

Re: L.O.T.R. Return of the king. - 05/26/04 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bestbang4thebuck:
IMHO, most theaters are not in excellent audio condition. It's a business, not an audiophile's dream. All they need to do is get paying customers to come through the door and all they have to do to do that is not disappoint the average Joe/Jane. While I have not seen the third Rings DVD yet, almost without exception I think my HT with DVD has outperformed any regular theater I have been to in years.

I envy you buck.
Most HT owners I know do not have equipments that can be considered audiophile grade. Some have decent components but the speaker placement and room treatments are not done properly if at all.

So, I’m going to take a wild guess and say most people would answer the way curegerog did to my question on theater versus home theater sound. It could be geographical. It may just be that theaters in and around Chicago have decent set up.

Lasher, I’m just wondering why you wanted to start a new thread instead of adding to the existing one http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000131.html . Just nitpicking…

Re: L.O.T.R. Return of the king. - 05/26/04 06:23 PM

i still like going to the movies... yeah its a ripoff, but so what. the theaters around where i live are good for the most part. all of them except 1 or 2 are very new and have good sound. i watch a bunch of movies at home, more than the theater, but the good ones i try to see at the theater first. some movies i like more at home (audio included), while others i enjoy at the movies. i thought lotr3 was better at the movies. i thought the last lotr was also better at the theater than in my ht, maybe just a bad transfer to dvd or something. the audio was still good, just not great. you guys could always rent the movie, and buy it later...

Re: L.O.T.R. Return of the king. - 05/26/04 07:23 PM

Spiker: I forgot that thread was even there............ooops. Well I only make 1 mistake about every 10 years so at least it's out of the way

Lasher

Re: L.O.T.R. Return of the king. - 05/26/04 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
i still like going to the movies... yeah its a ripoff, but so what. the theaters around where i live are good for the most part. all of them except 1 or 2 are very new and have good sound. i watch a bunch of movies at home, more than the theater, but the good ones i try to see at the theater first. some movies i like more at home (audio included), while others i enjoy at the movies. i thought lotr3 was better at the movies. i thought the last lotr was also better at the theater than in my ht, maybe just a bad transfer to dvd or something. the audio was still good, just not great. you guys could always rent the movie, and buy it later...

No doubt. It's good for us to get up and out once in awhile.

Re: L.O.T.R. Return of the king. - 05/27/04 01:48 AM

a rare agreement with me is always fun, too!

Re: L.O.T.R. Return of the king. - 05/27/04 12:49 PM

I wouldn’t say I have an ‘audiophile grade’ (I’m not sure how to define what that means) HT. It’s just that I have not been greatly impressed by the audio I hear in theatres and find my home audio gear to provide better overall definition and lower bass extension.

And my comment about a theatre being a business and not an audiophile’s dream is not said as an angry stab, but I hope rather even-handed. Theatres are there to make money, not impress those of us who are audio-finicky. If they didn’t make money, they wouldn’t be there, feature films wouldn’t be made and I’d have no DVD’s to wait for!

Re: L.O.T.R. Return of the king. - 05/27/04 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bestbang4thebuck:
I wouldn’t say I have an ‘audiophile grade’ (I’m not sure how to define what that means) HT. It’s just that I have not been greatly impressed by the audio I hear in theatres and find my home audio gear to provide better overall definition and lower bass extension.

And my comment about a theatre being a business and not an audiophile’s dream is not said as an angry stab, but I hope rather even-handed. Theatres are there to make money, not impress those of us who are audio-finicky. If they didn’t make money, they wouldn’t be there, feature films wouldn’t be made and I’d have no DVD’s to wait for!

there are a few distinct advantages to dvd: you can watch from a couch in your underwear drinking a beer, and pause it when you have to take a leak from drinking too much. no noisy people, no sticky floors, no slow exit, less money for 2 people to see. there are some good sounding theaters and some bad sounding theaters, some are even thx certified. hopefully they will understand (continue or begin to in your case buck) that audio is a key element to a good film.
Posted by: Unferth

Re: L.O.T.R. Return of the king. - 05/27/04 01:01 PM

Theaters also have to deal with multiple surround speakers often being in front of the listener... it's really difficult to create a "sweet spot" over the entire floor of the theater...

You've got far more control over that in a personal HT environment... on my couch, the ideal spot is only about 2 people wide...

Re: L.O.T.R. Return of the king. - 05/27/04 01:18 PM

Well that lower cost for 2 people to see can change once you factor in the price of building your own theater.

Re: L.O.T.R. Return of the king. - 05/27/04 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JT Clark:
Well that lower cost for 2 people to see can change once you factor in the price of building your own theater.

doh, i overlooked that tiny detail.

Re: L.O.T.R. Return of the king. - 05/27/04 02:54 PM

In an effort to avoid further hijacking of this thread by making another movie theatre vs. home theater comment, I started a new thread in the Outlaw to Outlaw section.