the best DVD's for demo

Posted by: hometheaterguy_co

the best DVD's for demo - 06/05/03 11:54 AM

the best surround sound experience is from 7-channels, (side and back surround speakers), a full 360 degree soundfield. and the best surround format is either a DVD encoded in Dolby Digital EX, or DTS ES, or THX EX. these provide additional back surround effects. visit this site:
http://timefordvd.com/tutorial/SurroundSound.shtml some are Star Wars 1 and 2, Toy Story 2, T2 Remix, Ice Age, but more are coming out each day and more are listed on that site. go EX/ES to show off your system to your friends! it's hard to be surrounded by sound with only 2 speakers. Scott

------------------
Home Theater can be affordable, ask me how.
Posted by: D'Arbignal

Re: the best DVD's for demo - 06/05/03 06:36 PM

Scott,

Thanks for the link, but I should point out that some of the "facts" on that page are questionable (e.g., DTS is better because of a higher bitrate) and others are downright wrong (e.g., THX Surround EX and Dolby Digital EX are equivalent).

Jeff

Re: the best DVD's for demo - 06/05/03 07:16 PM

i agree on the DTS accuracy. many audiophilles praise DTS as the best surround format to date. not me. if it was, more movies would be released in it. there may be a measureable improvement in either s/n, but i doubt freq. i see no problems with Dolby. as far as the conflict in other formats, i do not knnow. i know they are similar, maybe not the same.
Scott

------------------

Re: the best DVD's for demo - 06/05/03 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hometheaterguy_co:
i agree on the DTS accuracy. many audiophilles praise DTS as the best surround format to date. not me. if it was, more movies would be released in it. there may be a measureable improvement in either s/n ...

Not even. To date I know of no test that shows DTS is superior to DD in any way, whereas there have been tests to show that opposite is true.

Quote:

, but i doubt freq. i see no problems with Dolby. as far as the conflict in other formats, i do not knnow. i know they are similar, maybe not the same.
Scott

Well, the difference between THX Surround EX and Dolby Digital EX is a very small one. THX Surround EX uses the original Dolby-ProLogic decoder to extract the rear channel from the surrounds, whereas Dolby Digital EX using Dolby-ProLogic II to do it. In principle, that means that Dolby Digital EX should provide a more seamless soundfield.

Jeff

Re: the best DVD's for demo - 06/05/03 10:53 PM

Jeff, take a low grade Valium bro and re-read my post. i said i feel DTS is NOT better than Dolby Digital. remember, this posting is for great demo DVD's and that is what that site is all a bout. if you disagree with the web site in which i have nothing to do with, email them.

------------------

Re: the best DVD's for demo - 06/05/03 11:41 PM

I'm sorry if I gave you the impression I was angry. I wasn't. I just want to clear up any incorrect statements, such as when you suggested that DTS offered better S/N.

Jeff

Re: the best DVD's for demo - 06/06/03 12:22 AM

np Jeff, but if you see in my post i did not concur that DTS offers better s/n ratio, or anything. my Lexicon audio processer only decodes Dolby Digital and loads THX enhancements. i could have bought one with DTS, but i just look at DTS as another politcal marketing trend in the audio world.
Scott

------------------

Re: the best DVD's for demo - 06/06/03 03:20 AM

Quote:
np Jeff, but if you see in my post i did not concur that DTS offers better s/n ratio, or anything. my Lexicon audio processer only decodes Dolby Digital and loads THX enhancements. i could have bought one with DTS, but i just look at DTS as another politcal marketing trend in the audio world.
Scott

I concur. I own a Lexicon, too, and while it does have DTS, I only use it rarely. If a disc only has DTS, I'll play it. If it gives me a choice, I'll usually use the DD, but it depends on my mood.

Jeff

Re: the best DVD's for demo - 06/06/03 11:33 AM

Long live Lexicon! so do you mostly keep it in Logic 7 mode? i do not have that mode, mine is older. a tech from Lexicon said: "many Lexicon users like Logic 7 mode because it pans more evenly in a enveloping manner". i understand DD and DTS are 5 channel, but Logic 7 is 7. am i correct on this? come tax returns i am getting a DC-1, or DC-2 fromeBay.
Scott

------------------

Re: the best DVD's for demo - 06/06/03 12:53 PM

Quote:
Long live Lexicon! so do you mostly keep it in Logic 7 mode? i do not have that mode, mine is older. a tech from Lexicon said: "many Lexicon users like Logic 7 mode because it pans more evenly in a enveloping manner". i understand DD and DTS are 5 channel, but Logic 7 is 7. am i correct on this? come tax returns i am getting a DC-1, or DC-2 fromeBay.
Scott

Scott,

Why settle for a DC-1 or DC-2? The prices of the MC-1 have dropped so steeply that you should consider getting one. I just heard of one guy who was able to get a used MC-1 for $1,200!

And yes, I listen to Logic 7 almost exclusively. It really is a truly awesome surround mode. And yes, it produces discrete rears and sides so unlike THX Surround EX, Dolby Digital EX, and DTS ES, it truly is a 7.1 surround mode.

Take care,

Jeff
Posted by: sdurani

Re: the best DVD's for demo - 06/06/03 02:23 PM

Jeff,
Quote:
Well, the difference between THX Surround EX and Dolby Digital EX is a very small one. THX Surround EX uses the original Dolby-ProLogic decoder to extract the rear channel from the surrounds, whereas Dolby Digital EX using Dolby-ProLogic II to do it.
How about that other small difference between the two modes: one applies all the THX post-processing and the other one doesn't. (I'll let you figure out which is which.)

Sanj

Re: the best DVD's for demo - 06/06/03 02:28 PM

wow! MC-1's for $1,200! i better dust off my eBay account!

------------------

Re: the best DVD's for demo - 06/06/03 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sdurani:
Jeff,
Quote:
[b] Well, the difference between THX Surround EX and Dolby Digital EX is a very small one. THX Surround EX uses the original Dolby-ProLogic decoder to extract the rear channel from the surrounds, whereas Dolby Digital EX using Dolby-ProLogic II to do it.
How about that other small difference between the two modes: one applies all the THX post-processing and the other one doesn't. (I'll let you figure out which is which.)

Sanj

[/B]

Oh yeah, I forgot that one! Thanks, Sanj! You're still da man!

Jeff
Posted by: Jason J

Re: the best DVD's for demo - 06/06/03 10:29 PM

That site doesn't mention what I would think would be the most popular of all DD-EX, DTS-ES discs; The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, Special Extended Edition. (I think I got that right )
Posted by: MeanGene

Re: the best DVD's for demo - 06/07/03 11:35 AM

You might want to check out...
http://www.aixrecords.com/index.html

Sessions recorded at 96 kHz/24 bits!

All digital high-resolution signal path - no artificial processing

Mixed in 5.1 Channel Surround Sound in the Digital Domain

Alternative Mixing POVs - "Stage" AND "Audience"

Compatibility with DVD-Audio and DVD-Video Players

Multiple Camera Angle Video of the Sessions

Dolby Digital, DTS and MLP Audio Encoding

Comprehensive Setup Info/Test Tones/Demos and FAQs about the DVD format

Web Connection Software and Complete Catalog on Every Disc

When you use the "Point of View" feature of your DVD player and switch between "Stage" and "Audience" you are switching between DTS and DD on the DVD-V side of these DVD's, The DTS being Stage and the DD as audience.

You really sense the difference between the two modes and feel the music in front of you (DD) or you as part of the band (DTS). There is definitely more rear channel information in the DTS mode, although this may have been mixed this way on purpose.

I personally found DTS to be a more enjoyable movie watching format. It seems to me that it not necessarily the format itself, but the extra effort that went into creating a DTS version of the DVD. Kind of like, DD is the standard and when you what to "kick it up a notch" the studio will do their magic and call it DTS.

The DVD-Video and DVD-A (Flipper) DVD's from AIXRecords will not settle the DTS vs. DD argument, but they do point out that a studio can do quite a bit with either format.

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited June 07, 2003).]

Re: the best DVD's for demo - 06/07/03 12:38 PM

thanks for the informative and accurate reply MeanGene. i have heard all along that DTS is the choice for best audio, but i just haven't experienced it myself yet. that site is great. i'd like to hear Bach Tacotta in D Minor on one of those DVD's.

------------------

Re: the best DVD's for demo - 06/07/03 12:50 PM

THX Ultimate demo DVD
http://www.thx.com/mod/company/demoDVD.html
you guys need this one.

------------------
Posted by: Jason J

Re: the best DVD's for demo - 06/07/03 04:18 PM

FWIW, I heard the AIX demo at HE 2002 in NYC. I really wasn't all that impressed with it. It may have been the hotel room the demo took place in, but the "stage" POV to me was just annoying. Putting instruments into the surround channels just didn't work for me.

It might just be my taste. On the DSOTM SACD, the cash registers on "Money" going from speaker to speaker also feels like a gimmick. I really like other parts of that mix where more ambience and even background vocals are thrown into the suurounds creating a wider and "surrounding" soundstage. That to me feels like a better use of surrounds for music.

Quote:
THX Ultimate demo DVD
http://www.thx.com/mod/company/demoDVD.html
you guys need this one.

Can you please tell me where I could get this? Also, if you do have it, what does it feature that isn't on a sampling of THX-certified DVDs?

[This message has been edited by Jason J (edited June 07, 2003).]

Re: the best DVD's for demo - 06/11/03 11:30 AM

you cannot get the THX demo DVD from THX, but from one of their dealers. it includes clips of trailers and radical sound effects from movies. aspirin not included, but great for home theater demo.

Re: the best DVD's for demo - 06/11/03 11:32 AM

Jeff, why would a MC-1 be better than a DC-1, when THX EX is just matrixed, and Logic 7 stereo surround? i will be using the same processing in the DC-1 as that in the MC-1 will i not? is there an advantage, save a better warranty?

Re: the best DVD's for demo - 06/11/03 01:31 PM

Quote:
Jeff, why would a MC-1 be better than a DC-1, when THX EX is just matrixed, and Logic 7 stereo surround? i will be using the same processing in the DC-1 as that in the MC-1 will i not? is there an advantage, save a better warranty?

Scott,

Actually, I think that the DC-1 can run the same software as the MC-1, so if you get a DC-1 with v. 4.0 software, I believe it too will have EX.

However, the MC-1 has more inputs, better components, and broadcast-quality video switching. In addition, I'm sure there are other features (such as triggers) which are improved on the MC-1, though I don't know the specifics.

Jeff