Blue Man Group: Audio

Posted by: fmcorps

Blue Man Group: Audio - 08/17/02 10:37 AM

Holey Cow!!!

I just picked up this disk the other day. It's a two sided audio only disc with one side having a DVD-A mix, and the second has a DVD-V DTS, and DD mixes so it's compatable withany DVD player. Man, this is an exceptional surround disc...and talk about a workout!!! The bass is amazing...my chair hasn't rattled so much since Saving Private Ryan. The presence of the instrumentation is astounding, the mixing is insane...there are sections that are flying around the room! It's friggin nuts!!!

I cannot think of a better sound demo disc...go out and pick it up now...you will not be dissapointed. There are just so many good things about this disc that I cant realy put them into words. Highly, highly, HIGHLY reccomended.

Jason
Posted by: gonk

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 08/17/02 05:31 PM

I'll second this choice -- very fun disc, with a really unique sound.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review
Posted by: EFSIII

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 08/17/02 05:53 PM

This is one of many DVD-A discs that I'd like to check out (especially now ).

Where do you guys find your selections of DVD-A or SACD music ??
I haven't had alot of luck with my "sources".

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 08/18/02 12:27 AM

I've picked all mine up online. Some at Amazon.com (although they don't do a good job of identifying them), some at dvdplanet.com. dvd.com also has some, apparently.

------------------
Posted by: steves

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 08/18/02 11:21 AM

A fairly large selection of DVD-A and SACD's can be found at elusivedisc.com!
Posted by: baristaman

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 08/18/02 11:33 AM

If you EVER get the chance, see them live.
You'll have a whole new appreciation for the music and have a memory that will never go away.
Trace
Posted by: Everett

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 08/18/02 07:28 PM

Ill definitely get this as I always look for disc to challenge my sound system. I have a recomendation for you.. try Manheim Steamrollers Fresh Aire 8. It may not be your "cup of tea" musically but its an amazing sound. You get a DVD Video, a DVD Audio and a HDCD disc as well. These guys are really committed to producing great sounding music and this one will blow you away!

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 08/18/02 07:34 PM

Im back again! Well, I just ordered it thru Half.com(E bay group) for only $15.11. Ill look forward to it... They also gave it great reviews in sound as you did.. Good listening...
Posted by: BenjaminRigby

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 08/19/02 08:36 AM

I absolutely love this disc. I was lucky and found it at Amazon.com for like $12, I think the price has gone up over the last year. I wish the CD had the bonus track on it as I want to play that one in my car. Infinity Kappa Perfect sub powered by a JBL 600.1 amp.

Everett, Manheim Steamroller is on DVD now? A lot of their music is fantastic! I wouldn't say it's a great workout for a system, but it does sound good. I'll have to keep an eye out for them. Fresh Aire 7 was good as was the Christmas Album (I think there's more than one though).

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 08/19/02 08:50 AM

I think Fresh Aire 8 will push the envelope.There is a gut called "The Big Bang" that yielded more SPL than the opening scene in The 5th Element, as measured by my trusty RS meter/played at reference levels. My M&K's shoot every door jam in the house. They(Chip Davis) even discuss what is now possible to put on a disc and how they can dirrect so much information into a sub channel. This is, in my opinion, there best effort by far esp the DVD A tract. I admit I buy a lot of disc just for sound and the reason I ordered your recomendation. If you are similar, I sure you understand. Another one I like is BACH/Organ Works on Pioneer and Holst the Planets ..both on DVD A A BLAST! Thank God my neighbors arent near!!!!

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 08/21/02 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EFSIII:
This is one of many DVD-A discs that I'd like to check out (especially now ).

Where do you guys find your selections of DVD-A or SACD music ??
I haven't had alot of luck with my "sources".

My local Media Play has a fairly decent selection of DVD-A's. For SACD's I go to my local best buy (althogh the selection is fairly poor, they have had a few recordings that I have been able to use as referance materials in regards to SACD vs redbook CD's.

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 08/21/02 02:13 AM

Ok,

I have to admit that I've listened to this disc nearly 7 times straight through (not all in one sitting mide you). It has reached a definate high on my list of must have DVD-A's, and will become a principal test disc when I audition more gear (mwahahaha...i so need help)

This is definatly one...if not THE most base intensive discs I have heard. (Granted I"m still looking for a copy of the DVD-A version of the Telarc recording the the 1812 ovature...). I dont have a single movie that competes with it. Not Jurassic Park I/II/III, not the Fifth Element (although I will admit that I dont have the superbit version of T5E...so no DTS), Not SWE1, not Saving Private Ryan, NOTHING shakes my apartment like BMG-Audio.

Track 3 scared my cat to death, she hid under my bed for an hour the first time it was on. 5 just about cracked a window pane (I'm not joking, I live in an older apartment with REALY old windows that have a "putty calk" around them. The bass was great enough that it jarred the calk of of one of the windows and left it vibrating viloently untill I taped it down.) Tracks 3,4,5, and 10 had the woofers in my Paridigms bouncing back and forth more then Anna Nichole Smith on a bronco.

And for those of you who like to search for some "extra" content switch over to the DVD video side and cue up the "speaker placement" feature...wait till the end for a good laugh. Then check out the "Recent Technology" feature, and finaly, cue up the track called "Cat Video" (no.12 I think)...don't turn off the TV, jsut let it run for a minute and you'll get a nice little treat.

Have I mentioned I highly reccomend this disc as a great piece of Demo material. Buy it now.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA-(good lord do I ever need help)

Jason

[This message has been edited by fmcorps (edited August 21, 2002).]
Posted by: Matthew Hill

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 08/21/02 11:43 AM

Where can I buy this disk?

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 08/23/02 10:42 AM

Matthew, Amazon or any online store with DVDs should have it. The blue man group website has it too, but for a bit of a premium.

Finally some other people see the bass power of this disc. You have to have a separate sub to really get the full impact of the bass. Unless you have some monster towers with powered subs that have HUGE amps in them (several hundred watts).

For those of you who have heard it, what do you think of the power of the bonus track? I wish it was on the Audio side too, not just the Video.

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 08/23/02 10:47 AM

One more thing, for those of you who have seen the show and have the disc, is the bonus track the one they play during the toilet paper routine? Please don't spoil the show any more than that. I think it's best to go in knowing as few details as possible.
Posted by: Elvis

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 09/19/02 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BenjaminRigby:
One more thing, for those of you who have seen the show and have the disc, is the bonus track the one they play during the toilet paper routine? Please don't spoil the show any more than that. I think it's best to go in knowing as few details as possible.

I've seen B.M.G. 3 times and also have the DVD-A. It is an exceptionally smart, funny, and highly entertaining experience. I really can't compare it anything I have ever seen-felt-heard. As for the Last Train To Transcentral, I will only say "There can be no ritual without community and perhaps there is no community without ritual" - Joyce Carol Oates (as quoted from a B.M.G. program book).
Posted by: cburbs

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 12/06/02 11:22 PM

With this disc play on any dvd Player?
Posted by: m-mmeyer

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 12/06/02 11:27 PM

I believe it will since it has a DD version but check the label to be sure. They do have a couple of regular cd's which are pretty good to, no surround though.

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
Posted by: cburbs

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 12/06/02 11:37 PM

Are the only 2 place to get it Amazon or blueman site?

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 12/07/02 12:28 AM

Nope -- I found it several places.

Tower Records
DVD.com
DVD Planet
J and R
Suncoast

Enjoy!

------------------
Posted by: JT Clark

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 12/07/02 11:14 AM

This disc will play on any DVD player. It has DD 5.1, DTS, and DVD Audio. DD and DTS are on one side and DVD Audio is on the other. My player does not play DVD Audio and I've had no problems. I can play it on my computer too and there is no DVD Audio drive that I know of. There is a sound card that can do it now, but I haven't heard of a drive. DD will be the default on side one, unless you go into the setup and select DTS. The bonus song "Last Train to Transcentral" is DD only, no DTS or DVD Audio that I can find. A salesman and I couldn't find it on the Audio side when I was demoing speakers. Anyone else have luck with this?

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 11/19/04 11:28 AM

This is an old thread, but I thought it was worth revisiting in light of Blue Man Group's newest album, "The Complex." It's available on CD and DVD-Audio, and both versions sound really good. Worth checking out if you liked "Audio."
Posted by: sdurani

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 11/19/04 01:55 PM

Bought the CD some time ago and really liked it. The cover of 'I Feel Love' absolutely rocks! Heard only one track (w/ Dave Matthews) from the DVD-A version and was pleasantly surprised that the vocals were placed in the centre channel (unusual for multi-channel music). Will definitely have to pick up the DVD-A.

Best,
Sanjay

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 11/19/04 05:20 PM

Sanjay,
I also highly recommend the DVD of "The Complex".
It's the actual show that went on the road!! A whole Blue Man concert!!!
"I Feel Love" is absolutely incredible. Wait until you see the costume she's wearing and how it interacts with the music.
Trace
Posted by: JT Clark

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 11/19/04 08:44 PM

Is The Complex available in a studio version now? Not a recorded live version? I've been holding off buying it because of that. I've listened to the CD and enjoyed it.
Posted by: Eddie Horton

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 11/19/04 09:24 PM

It is available as a studio version on DVD-A. I have it and the concert DVD. Good stuff.
Posted by: sdurani

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 11/20/04 12:54 AM

Trace,

Thanx for the tip. Seeing them in action is as much fun as listening to their music. Guess I'll be picking up the DVD-A and DVD-V.
Posted by: Scott

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 12/21/04 10:51 PM

The Complex is amazing! A great DVD-A disc.

Highly recommended, especially for those who have seen a show.

Scott

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 07/08/05 04:14 PM

oops, accidentally posted OLD stuff.
Posted by: Pat

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 08/02/05 07:12 AM

Blue Man Group is an excellent cd for testing a music system. laugh
Posted by: Ritz

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 08/02/05 10:45 AM

After reading about it here, I ordered a copy and tried it out a few days ago. It definitely exercises a multi-channel system. 8-)

Cheers,
Posted by: Holydoc

Re: Blue Man Group: Audio - 10/05/05 02:27 AM

On the recommendation of this thread, I did a blind purchase of this DVD today. I am hoping it has the impact advertised here.