Favorite 2 channel media

Posted by: the_h

Favorite 2 channel media - 03/06/13 11:56 AM

I have rediscovered my Steely Dan Collection I have worn out Aja over the years but,gosh, I love Can't buy a Thrill and The Royal Scam now more then I ever did in the past(I think it's my age). Tom Tom Club also a much more enjoyable listen than I remember. Herb Alpert's Midnight Sun is also stunning in parts. What are you listening to for 2 Channel media.
Posted by: jmacari

Re: Favorite 2 channel media - 03/06/13 12:22 PM

McCoy Tyner (NY Reunion), Yellowjackets, Pat Metheny (BR also), Spyro Gyro (Road Scholars),Jorma Kaukonen (Blue Country Heart), Patrick O'Hearn (Trust), Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon)-
really anything that has been recorded properly....
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Favorite 2 channel media - 03/06/13 02:57 PM

Adele Diana Krall Van the Man Jackson Browne Led Zeppelin Steve Wilson

Re: Favorite 2 channel media - 03/06/13 04:08 PM

Quote:
Diana Krall

smile smile smile

Re: Favorite 2 channel media - 03/06/13 08:18 PM

What krall is a must have?

Re: Favorite 2 channel media - 03/06/13 09:12 PM

The Girl In the Other Room is an excellent SACD. Her vocals are amazing and the music is pretty cool.

Re: Favorite 2 channel media - 03/06/13 10:10 PM

Ok. I will try It I like jazz and as Jm stated almost anything that is well recorded am listening to Keiko Matsui at the moment Sapphire is playing. I am always on the lookout for great recordings. Thanks for your recommendations.

Re: Favorite 2 channel media - 03/06/13 11:11 PM

Quote:
I am always on the lookout for great recordings.

The recording process is really the key when it comes to CD audio quality...

To further this thread along, what labels do you find produce the best quality??
I'll start-

ECM, Chesky, Blue Note, GRP, Windham Hill, Verve, certain Warner Bros......

Re: Favorite 2 channel media - 03/07/13 07:23 PM

Audio quest, some MCA universal, white Cat, Unity countdown, bluebird/RCA victor group, most I.R.S stuff I have heard a few bad ones from them, a&m , and I agree with the list you put out.

One recording that I really enjoy from IRS is Puzzle from dada a great listen
Posted by: Logansneo

Re: Favorite 2 channel media - 03/17/13 02:31 PM

My personal favorites of Diana Krall, in order of best sounding and most amazing source material are as follows,

-Love Scenes
-The Look of Love
-The Girl In the Other Room
-Live in Paris
-Live in Rio

All other records are great too, but these recordings best capture the purity of Krall's beautiful vocals and piano work, especially Love Scenes!

2-channel music I've been enjoying most has been on vinyl with my 975 and includes:
YES
Rush - Moving Pictures
Rush - Grace Under Pressure
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Boston - Third Stage
Journey (ANYTHING)
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

For some reason vinyl sounds best to my ears when 70's era rock is being played! smile

Re: Favorite 2 channel media - 03/27/13 08:48 PM

Well the Diana Krall girl in the other room was absolutely worth the purchase. Thanks for that!!! At the same time I got into some jack Johnson also a good listen. I slowed up on new music because I got a new subwoofer so I am going back and re-listening to most of my collection like one does, ya know. The new sub was definitely worth the investment but it is slowing my plans on a a shiny new 7500 amp. (Which is prolly a good thing) best to string out upgrades further apart than I have been in the last few months.

Re: Favorite 2 channel media - 03/28/13 11:20 PM

Try to get a copy of Amazing Grace sung by Judy Collins. She does it acappella and it is truly excellent. You can really crank it up to hear her voice. She also sings a song with whales as the background called Farewell to Tarwathie. If you like a true singing voice give her a listen. I have the vinyl version of the album and it gets really scary when its loud.
Posted by: EEman

Re: Favorite 2 channel media - 04/01/13 11:13 PM

Mozart: Requiem on the Telarc disk.
anything by Eric Johnson
Don Ross: Passion Session
Jim Chappell: Tender Ritual

And of course,
Van Halen, SRV, Rush and too many other rockers to be named.
Posted by: rubbersoul

Re: Favorite 2 channel media - 04/07/13 06:11 AM

EE...since you enjoy EC so much there are a couple of DVD 's/ Blu-Ray that are out namely Crossroads Guitar Concert from I Think 2007 and another by the same name from 2010. They can be had on Amazon if you want to save a few bucks.
A variety of artists on on this DVD/blu-ray not just Clapton but it opens your mind up to a variety of artists. EC's Cocaine on the blu-ray is one of the best I have heard him do live and I have seen him in person several times.

I was viewing and listening to Crossroads (2007) last night. Joe Walsh was performing "Rocky Mountain Way"... He is an awesome guitarist.

Enjoy!
Posted by: rubbersoul

Re: Favorite 2 channel media - 04/07/13 03:50 PM

Sorry EE I just check my post and I realize you wrote "Eric Johnson" and I quickly looked and thought you wrote Eric Clapton.

My apologizes, Frank
Posted by: EEman

Re: Favorite 2 channel media - 04/13/13 08:55 AM

No need to be sorry. I like Clapton too-I just don't have any recording that I feel are exceptional. I'll have to check out the blurays.
Posted by: Logansneo

Re: Favorite 2 channel media - 04/13/13 08:23 PM

If you dig N'Orlans' style blues then I could not recommend enough that you do yourselves a favor and either download or go out and buy "Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton Play The Blues"! Absolutely outstanding and TOTALLY unique!