Disc lockup ?

Posted by: kiwiaudio

Disc lockup ? - 12/31/19 01:54 PM

Dont know quite where to put this, sorry.
Hoping someone can throw some light on an issue that has just cropped up. My Oppo BD103 has never failed to read and/or play a disc. It will not however play one i just received (Dire Straits Alchemy Bluray). This disc successfully plays on several other players i have, but not my Oppo !
Audio is non existent, my 976 cannot detect what audio format is being sent, regardless of which one i select within the disc menu ( which has never happened before) and i get total Oppo lockup inside a minute. Only way ive found to clear the lockup is to power down the Oppo, powering it up by hitting the disc eject button.
Any idea what may be going on ?
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Disc lockup ? - 12/31/19 02:57 PM

Is it possible you have the non USA region disc? If so it won't play in the OPPO. You can try to get a firmware update from OPPO to see if it now allows the disc to play

Re: Disc lockup ? - 12/31/19 03:40 PM

Then it wouldnt play in my other players right ?
A cheapo samsung bluray player and an xbox one have no issues playing it.

Re: Disc lockup ? - 12/31/19 04:23 PM

I tried changing hdmi audio output in the Oppo from Auto to Bitstream, and then to pcm. Failed in both cases !
Tried another disc of course with no problems.
Thumbs up for Melissa Etheridges excellent "little bit of me - live in LA" Highest video quality ive seen in a concert dvd/bluray, but im still stuck in 1080P for a few years yet frown
Posted by: AvFan

Re: Disc lockup ? - 12/31/19 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By kiwiaudio
I tried changing hdmi audio output in the Oppo from Auto to Bitstream, and then to pcm. Failed in both cases !
Tried another disc of course with no problems.
Thumbs up for Melissa Etheridges excellent "little bit of me - live in LA" Highest video quality ive seen in a concert dvd/bluray, but im still stuck in 1080P for a few years yet frown

So the problem is intermittent or depends upon the disc? I agree that you should try a firmware update if yours is behind. My situation was different as the popping sound happened with both my OPPO 203 and 83 so the 976 was suspect. In your case other players accept and play the discs so it sounds like the OPPO. Their repair services are still available so I'd open a ticket with them to see what they think might be the issue.

Re: Disc lockup ? - 01/01/20 06:18 PM

Firmware says it has the latest update (from 2017 ! - i would have thought there would be a more current version but apparently not)
I have a ticket open with Oppo, but they have yet to respond.
Thanks for your suggestions guys !
Posted by: Helson

Re: Disc lockup ? - 01/02/20 04:51 PM

Have you tried resetting to factory defaults? Just the simple settings reset. You don't need to erase the accounts. That'll clear the memory cache. This has worked for me when my 203 has locked up.