976 Surround Option - Auto

Posted by: MN_AV_60s

976 Surround Option - Auto - 09/18/18 09:47 PM

On Saturday, 9/10/18, I received my 976 and 5000 amp, both of which are delivering exceptional performance/$$. More on that in a future post. When configuring the various inputs, e.g., CBL/SAT, one of the surround options was Auto which I chose. However, this is a mystery option as there is no information about it in the manual. This merits a deduction of a few points after my many years of experience with Lexicon MC-12B documentation -- yes, there is a major disparity in price point, but documentation!!!
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: 976 Surround Option - Auto - 09/19/18 10:57 AM

I agree the documentation is weak but I suspect that it senses the desired listening mode and sets the system as required.
Posted by: Outlaw Ben

Re: 976 Surround Option - Auto - 09/19/18 12:10 PM

"Auto" takes the detected audio format at the input and uses it as is, without post-processing listening modes, for playback. Surprisingly, I don't think I've been asked about this; possibly because it is the same, standardized nomenclature used on most processors and AVRs (Denon, Marantz, Yamaha).
Posted by: MN_AV_60s

Re: 976 Surround Option - Auto - 09/19/18 10:07 PM

Thanks for response. Intuition suggested that should be the case, but after many decades of being a high end audio enthusiast, intuition failed me often. Also, I will post my current AV system soon. As a precursor, the 976/5000 replaced an Onkyo TX-818 AV receiver which died completely after 4 years of use. That was a 1st, since no audio component I've ever owned departed so completely. However, it was time to move on to much better performing components, after I dismantled my outrageously expensive home theater 4+ years ago. Now, if the 7140 was in stock... So many balanced cables; so little use.
Posted by: 975 destroyer

Re: 976 Surround Option - Auto - 10/13/18 11:53 AM

I concur 1000X on complete, ACCURATE, detailed documentation!