CD's will not play on inputs 1 thru 4 on the 976

Posted by: rghinton

CD's will not play on inputs 1 thru 4 on the 976 - 05/24/18 10:19 PM

I have an Outlaw 976 processor. If I connect my OPPO BDP-93 disc player to the Outlaw HDMI 5 input which is HDMI 1.4b standard and I configure the inputs to HDMI 5 with video to HDMI 5 and audio to HDMI, I can play Blu-ray discs and audio CD discs and get audio and video. If I move from the Outlaw HDMI 5 input to Outlaw HDMI 1 input which is HDMI 2.0b standard, the Blu-ray discs play the audio and video fine including 3D discs but I don’t get any audio when I try to play a an audio CD on this input. I see the screen showing the CD being played but there is no audio.
I sold my Outlaw 975 because it would not play 3D discs. Now I have a processor that has only one usable (to me) input. I have other equipment that will only play the audio and video using HDMI input 5. I don’t want to run a cable outside of my rack to use HDMI input 6.
Is there something wrong with my processor? I read that HDMI 2.0 is friendly and backward compatible.
If this way it is suppose to be, it will be a poor purchase for someone gradually moving into high end video. I would have rather seen three 1.4b inputs on the rear and two 2.0b inputs on the rear so that our existing gear will work.
Posted by: rdgrimes

Re: CD's will not play on inputs 1 thru 4 on the 976 - 05/24/18 10:45 PM

The Oppo BDP-93 does not support HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 without a firmware update. Contact Oppo support directly and ask for that special firmware. Its not available publicly.
This will be true for the Oppo and ANY HDMI-2.0 processor. (Its not Outlaw's fault)
Posted by: rance

Re: CD's will not play on inputs 1 thru 4 on the 976 - 06/25/18 01:34 PM

Turn HDCP decoding off in the OPPO.