IR port on the 976

Posted by: kiwiaudio

IR port on the 976 - 12/18/17 08:29 PM

Hooking up my 976 and wondered if i could use a standard 3.5mm mono cable from my Xantech 789-44 repeater instead of the stick on emitters. Id also like to do this with my Oppo bdp-103.
Anyone done this ?
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: IR port on the 976 - 12/18/17 09:53 PM

It should work. The 976 also will allow you to daisy chain the IR out to your OPPO.
Posted by: drueb

Re: IR port on the 976 - 12/19/17 12:52 PM

Is there a way to increase the sensitivity of the Infra Red when using the remote control? Mine is very limited on angle and line of site. I would like to make the remote work at wider angles with less line of site issues. Possible?

Re: IR port on the 976 - 12/19/17 05:48 PM

Get an IR repeater and angle it towards you at your main seat.

Re: IR port on the 976 - 12/19/17 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By XenonMan
Get an IR repeater and angle it towards you at your main seat.

Thanks, just ordered this one...

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B009ZGK6QS/ezvid02-20

Re: IR port on the 976 - 12/20/17 01:23 PM

It would appear that you are not alone in your frustration with the IR response of the 976 and its remote. Let us know if the repeater helps. There have been at least two people with complaints about the remote so far.
Posted by: AvFan

Re: IR port on the 976 - 12/20/17 01:44 PM

I'm a third and I was hoping my Harmony remote would solve the problem. It didn't so I'm not sure it is the remote but the IR sensor in the 976. I'm looking for a IR sensor/repeater and then connect it to the IR input jacks on the 976, OPPO and cable box. The Apple TV does not have an IR input jack so we'll just have to be in front of it or use a paste-on IR emitter.
Posted by: Outlaw Ben

Re: IR port on the 976 - 12/20/17 05:35 PM

Hi All,

We actually test the units from over 20 ft away in an ideal environment. Also the strength of the IR, from every remote, is measured at the factory to ensure each remote is within acceptable tolerance. I actually have a video somewhere of the Outlaws recording this process when we were there during production.

It sounds like different scenarios here as AvFan's issue is not solved by using a different remote.

I would note the angle of acceptance is slightly picky, so make sure you don't have the remote at a 45 degree angle.

Feel free to give me a call, M-F 9:00am - 5:00pm EST, at (866) OUTLAWS.

Re: IR port on the 976 - 12/20/17 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By Outlaw Ben
Hi All,

We actually test the units from over 20 ft away in an ideal environment. Also the strength of the IR, from every remote, is measured at the factory to ensure each remote is within acceptable tolerance. I actually have a video somewhere of the Outlaws recording this process when we were there during production.

It sounds like different scenarios here as AvFan's issue is not solved by using a different remote.

I would note the angle of acceptance is slightly picky, so make sure you don't have the remote at a 45 degree angle.

Feel free to give me a call, M-F 9:00am - 5:00pm EST, at (866) OUTLAWS.

I agree, the remote is "picky" with regard to angle/line of site. It's dead on and flawless within the 45 degree angle (out from the 976 IR Sensor) so long as no line of site issues, like a table piece. The exact same as my TiVo remote, so Outlaw is not alone. Hopefully the repeater will help, if not alleviate, the problem.
Posted by: kiwiaudio

Re: IR port on the 976 - 12/21/17 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By kiwiaudio
Hooking up my 976 and wondered if i could use a standard 3.5mm mono cable from my Xantech 789-44 repeater instead of the stick on emitters. Id also like to do this with my Oppo bdp-103.
Anyone done this ?

I gave up on this idea. The Xantech only put out 2 volts from the emitter port. I connected a mono 3.5 cable from it to the 976 and daisied to the Oppo. They would both turn on but no other command would work on either.
Worse, the front eye on both components was now disabled. Couldnt have that - i went back to the stick-on emitters.

My Remote works fine but it should have had pistol sights on the case as the shooting angle has to be very accurate. I dont believe its the eye on the 976 faceplate, i think its the remote itself - my equipment is in a media closet outside the theater, and the remote has to be aimed perfectly at my IR repeater too.