10 Band EQ on the 976

Posted by: Owl's_Warder

10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/08/17 02:59 AM

So I could use a bit of an education here. I see a lot of software acronyms and discussion of using them with the 10 band EQ in the 976 in lieu of built-in room correction. Is anyone willing to shed some light on that process and how it works?

For both the 1050 and the 975, I just used my trusty Radio Shack SPL meter and the test signals to set everything up and then adjusted the .1 channel "by hand" as it never really seemed to register properly with a test signal. I just fiddled with the sub level until it sounded good to me and called it a day. That's given me great results in our home so far. smile

How does a 10 band EQ change this process? What does the software do? Honestly, I'm enough in the dark with this change I'm not entirely even sure what questions to ask but I'm hoping this is a good starting point for a conversation on it.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/08/17 11:46 AM

Your trusty RadioShack meter only measures SPL of the test signal coming from a speaker. Usually the signal is some variation of white noise or other generic tone that includes many different frequencies of the sound. The 10 band EQ will allow you to adjust the relative level of 10 individual bands of frequencies sort of like a very sophisticated tone control. Thus you could boost the midrange and decrease the high end if you so choose. This will allow you to customize the sound in your room to your specific tastes. Note that this is quite a bit like a manual version of the Digital Signal Processing you find in many processors (Arena, Lounge, Theater, Stadium, Opera and many more) although many of those also add some amount of reverberation to get the desired effect. The setup should be similar to what you do now where you measure the distance and adjust the SPL of each channel to be the same at you listening position. After that is complete is when I think you would employ the Equalizer to adjust the sound to your preference. The EQ will basically allow you to attenuate or boost the individual frequencies to your room and tastes. Depending on how much adjustment is allowed by the EQ this can give you an incredible amount of control over the sound. Most companies don't include it as an option because most of us want the output of our systems to mirror what is recorded as closely as possible. For the folks that like to tweek their systems and play with the room a lot the Equalizer will be a joy. Bear in mind Equalizers are available aftermarket.
Posted by: renov8r

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/08/17 12:15 PM

The folks who run the miniDSP organization give a nice overview of how a PARAMETRIC eq differs from a traditional "graphic equalizer" -- https://www.minidsp.com/applications/dsp-basics/peq-vs-graphic-eq

Key points --
In a parametric equalizer, each filter cuts or boosts a range of frequencies. Each filter has three controls:

frequency: the center of the frequency range to be cut or boosted
gain: the amount of boost or cut
Q: the "sharpness" of the boost or cut, with higher Q meaning a narrower filter

Parametric EQ thus allows a single filter to be very narrow or quite wide, and it is therefore very useful for correcting frequency response errors in a loudspeaker or reducing peaks caused by room modes. When implemented digitally, parametric filters can also take the shape of a "shelving" filter, which boost or cuts frequencies above or below the filter frequency.

Here is a very nice overview of how one can easily use the free Room Eq Wizard software to measure in-situ speaker response and have the software calculate suggested settings to achieve a desired target curve -- https://mehlau.net/audio/room-correction-peq/

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/08/17 12:31 PM

I will add that the most well known firm, Audyssey, is rather coy about exactly how many filters are technically available in products they license -- https://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212347743

Quote:
The filter resolution depends on the processor in the AVR. It is where the filters have to run ultimately and so they will be XT or XT32 depending on which AVR you have.

Once upon a time they did offer stand-alone eq -- https://www.avforums.com/review/audyssey-multeq-xt-pro-sound-equalizer-review.2

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/08/17 12:42 PM

I have been very impressed by the products offered by Wisdom Audio, though I do not have the budget that allows me to own them. They are very honest about why they have partnered with Audyssey and I would encourage anyone interested in understanding what makes their solutions so costly to read the FAQs -- http://www.wisdomaudio.com/faq.php

Keep in mind that the technology is about a decade old now, but the various "feuds", coupled with lack of scale, has NOT allowed this part of the industry to advance as rapidly has some had hoped...

Quote:
Why do you use an automated room correction system like Audyssey instead of manual parametric EQ?

A: Actually, we use both.

The SC-1 incorporates active crossovers, parametric EQ that is transparent to the installer, and Audyssey MultEQ XT which must be calibrated using MultEQ Pro software on a PC. (We train our dealers to do the calibration; it is not something the owner has to worry about.)

A few points:

MultEQ Pro has vastly more resolution than any parametric EQ. You would need something like 500 bands of parametric EQ per channel to achieve similar results, assuming you had the time, skill, and instrumentation.
MultEQ Pro optimizes in both the amplitude and the time domains.
MultEQ Pro does have a finite number of target curves, whereas manual EQ can shoot for any given target. It is important to note that our target curves are different than the standard Audyssey curves (since they represent the final "voicing" of our speakers in the room).
It is highly likely that one of our curves will be pretty close to what an experienced installer would try to do. Curve editing (part of the MultEQ Pro software) will likely get the installer the rest of the way (±3 dB from whichever target curve is selected).

There are multiple levels of implementation of MultEQ XT. If you only have experience only with the lowest level, receiver-based implementation, you don't know what you're missing. It is like comparing tone controls to true parametric EQ, saying that they do basically the same thing. They are drastically different in capability.

We find that parametric EQ is excellent for "roughing in" a system; MultEQ's additional resolution works best for the final tuning.

That's not to say that our way is the only way. Far from it. But if you want to get outstanding results quickly, easily, and consistently, it will be hard do better than the SC-1.

Q: Why did you select Audyssey MultEq XT as your room correction technology?

A: Our previous approach to room correction (bi-amping and lots of parametric EQ) delivered great results, but it was extremely time-consuming, and it required a tremendous amount of experience on the part of the person doing the calibration. The hard part is not operating the equipment; the hard part is analyzing the room's many problems and prioritizing them, and coming up with a strategy for tackling them. In fact, one of the most important lessons is learning which problems you ought not to try to fix. (In some cases, the "solution" is worse than the original problem.)

Audyssey's MultEQ XT encapsulates this most-difficult part of the process in software, in effect capturing decades of experience in a program that is installed on a laptop. In the case of the SC-1, we also use the same powerful DSP engine used in the $5000 Audyssey Professional Sound Equalizer to maximize the resolution of the resulting correction filters. The combination is amazingly powerful and effective.

The subjective result is comparable to the calibrations our own people achieved under our old system (in some ways, even better). But these results can be achieved by our dealers (after they go through our mandatory training program), in about an hour. Contrast that with us having to send our own people all over the world, and a calibration process that usually required several days.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/08/17 05:29 PM

At this point we need more info about how Outlaw plans to incorporate the EQ. I would imagine a menu screen which allows you to manually set the parameters within a set band. That would then be the way the system responds to all forms of sound coming out of the sources. The announcement speaks to an automated setup system but doesn't really go so far as to what process is to be used (ie like Audyssey, Dirac or ARC) if any. For the price I would imagine a setup system similar to what the 990 had and then a manual version of EQ.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/09/17 01:51 AM

Hmm.... Some good info to get me thinking here. Thanks! smile

Maybe we'll have to revisit this topic once we know more about how the 976 will roll.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/09/17 10:29 AM

Originally Posted By Owl's_Warder
Hmm.... Some good info to get me thinking here. Thanks! smile

Maybe we'll have to revisit this topic once we know more about how the 976 will roll.

I am sure that the tradition of Outlaw offering a very detailed document that lays out various usage scenarios will be a big part of the work that will differentiate the 976. I can already envision using the PEQ in several ways that would be consistent with how folks currently use external DSP devices...

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/09/17 02:14 PM

IMHO, one of the great disadvantages of a PEQ is that once it is tuned to the masters ears it may sound odd to others. For instance, my 60 year old ears are less sensitive to the 4K-6K band so I may actually boost those frequencies to a point where it sounds weird to my wife who, as all wives do, has catlike hearing. The room corrections which use a microphone to set the processors DSP are at least trying to make the system neutral so that it sound natural to most people. I think that for the most part, higher end equipment tends to shy away from manually adjusted PEQ to discourage users from making their equipment sound different than intended.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/10/17 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By XenonMan
IMHO, one of the great disadvantages of a PEQ is that once it is tuned to the masters ears it may sound odd to others. For instance, my 60 year old ears are less sensitive to the 4K-6K band so I may actually boost those frequencies to a point where it sounds weird to my wife who, as all wives do, has catlike hearing. The room corrections which use a microphone to set the processors DSP are at least trying to make the system neutral so that it sound natural to most people. I think that for the most part, higher end equipment tends to shy away from manually adjusted PEQ to discourage users from making their equipment sound different than intended.

I suppose this is not too different than the questions regarding having your projector or flat-panel "professionally calibrated" vs relying on "factory setting" or just "tweaking" the settings yourself. OT1H it is pretty well accepted that the "showroom settings" default to a "melt your eyeballs" mix of hyper-brightness and super-saturated colors. Too many "calibration professionals" are intent on using settings that may look awesome in a pitch-black theater but are not exactly what you want in any kind of "normal" TV viewing. Fact is even the best sets are not going to do their best when there's sunshine streaming in from the horizon and honest calibrators will gently suggest that maybe some window blinds are a better investment than paying them hundreds to painstakinglu balance minute color / contrast / brightness settings...

Similarly the details of what all the speaker / audio electronics firms say relies on having a listening space that is has had at least some thought given over to control of sonic anomalies -- those big atrium style rooms in modern homes are going to introduce very different kinds of distortion than a foam-covered demo space.

Just as some folks prefer colors that "pop" a bit more than real-life there is nothing insanely "wrong" with have some subtle audio tweaks to make the upper mids a bit "enhanced" but the ol' caveat of logarithmic power increases for modest db boost is the real killer -- http://www.ecoustics.com/articles/secrets-amplifier-speaker-power-requirements/

With a smart understanding of how to gently set the width of the PEQ you can make a subtle or sharp change to the sound -- http://www.therecordingsolution.com/use-parametric-eq-settings-like-boss/

Posted by: Stephen B

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/10/17 01:49 PM

Is there someone who could do before and after REW sweeps of an automated correction set up? I am interested in seeing the graphs to get a feel for what is considered a good result.

I had the opportunity to ask Ben a few questions about how PEQ had been implemented. The PEQ in the 976 will be 10 bands per channel including both sub outs. Adjustable centers as well as adjustable for band width and slope.

Using something like REW to use as a guide there should be more than enough adjustment to solve most room issues.

I am in the same boat as Xenon with hearing loss so do not even bother with trying to set systems by ear. We have free tools available to assist with adjustments so I see no good reason for not using them.

I have no doubt setting a 7.2 system will be more involved than dialing in a 2 channel system. Question is how much more involved?
Posted by: Outlaw Ben

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/10/17 03:21 PM

10 Band PEQ, center frequency, Q (for your width), as well as Gain. Independent EQ for all 7 channels plus the sub channel.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/10/17 05:53 PM

That is independent for each sub channel, correct?

Hello Ben. If you read this could you cover the method of connecting a pc running REW. You had told me over the phone but thought others might be interested.
Posted by: Outlaw Ben

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/10/17 06:33 PM

Because bass frequencies are not directional like higher frequencies, and the fact that the sub and LFE tracks are mono, this is treated as one channel. The EQ will treat it as the same. Both subwoofers will be pumping out your test tone and because they are not directional, or stereo, you will EQ them as one channel to provide room correction at the listening position.

I suspect most people, rather than buy an interface, will want to connect either their computer's headphone or line level output directly to the Model 976's analog 7.1 channels - one at a time and then run REW from their computer through the Model 976 to correct each speaker.

Also, rather than buy a mic pre, you could use a USB mic hooked directly to your computer to interface with REW. REW's EQ window will then let us see what filters you need to apply to address any problems you have.

REW's database is pretty good if you are interested in delving into this before the product is released: https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help.html
I think you might find #5 and #32 helpful.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/14/17 09:36 AM

When the 976 runs its levels/distances/phase adjustments will it adjust for phase on each sub channel?

Sorry if I am beating a dead horse here just trying to get a few things clear in my own head. We run our sub on a side wall firing across the room. When we moved, the sub went to the other side of the room with poor results. After posting here it was suggested to try flipping the phase switch on the back of the sub (cheap sub). Adjusting the phase corrected the issue.

If we had a sub on each side wall I can see where it could be necessary for the phase setting to be different for each cabinet. Could something like this be an issue or is my thinking on this wrong?
Posted by: Helson

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/15/17 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By Stephen B
When the 976 runs its levels/distances/phase adjustments will it adjust for phase on each sub channel?...
If we had a sub on each side wall I can see where it could be necessary for the phase setting to be different for each cabinet. Could something like this be an issue or is my thinking on this wrong?

I'm guessing the levels and distances would be set and the phase would be a check of proper polarity on the speaker wiring, plus the phase switch position on the sub(s). You might need to run the set up one time for each separate sub if that's the case.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/16/17 06:41 AM

Thanks Helson. After reading Ben's post I was just looking for clarification. As long as we get a visual of what correction the 976 has applied getting the subs set should not be difficult.

If I have this right I would run the set up with a single sub letting the 976 make corrections for both levels and any necessary phase adjustment for the sub channel. After making note of the sub channel settings run set up again with the second sub. If the applied correction differs from the first sub then using the controls on the subs make manual adjustments to even the levels and adjust phase if necessary.

I am sure I am making this sound more difficult than it will be in practice. The Outlaws should send a few of us units so we can callaborate on best methods of set up. Hint, Hint

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/16/17 12:26 PM

Oh I'd love to get be part of that collaboration, Stephen B! cool

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/16/17 12:44 PM

I would love to get my hands on one. As we run a simple 3.1 I doubt they would consider us demo worthy.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/16/17 06:05 PM

I think they'd like to get input across a range of setups. They'll want to know how smaller systems perform along with more elaborate configurations. Plus, it's not just about the speakers you're using. They'll also want to test various input component types, too.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/16/17 08:48 PM

I am sure that Outlaw is taking into consideration likely uses of the 976. I expect that this close to launch, the beta testing is almost complete.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/17/17 10:57 AM

I agree with you Xenon. In the reply to the mod from the Emotiva forums Outlaw was quite clear about their view of using buyers as testers. Without full function testing I doubt Outlaw would have announced the new unit.

I had something more like this in mind. At some point someone shopping for a new pre/pro will google "Outlaw Audio 976 peq" (or something like that). How cool would it be if the first return was here to the Saloon where people who have hands on time with the unit could help answer questions?

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/17/17 01:14 PM

Many of those questions will likely be answered by the user manual. Outlaw has been very good about building a usable manual which details the operation of their equipment. Maybe we could get a sneak peek at the manual once everything is ready for release. They typically post the manual when the machine hits the product page and it has in the past been available for people to use before purchase. Once users get some experience they will post on the product forum for future users to review. One of the things I see all the time on the various forums are posts from people who did not review the available documentation before purchase and then find the equipment lacking in some respect. The various reviews from the industry mags will also be posted by Outlaw on the product page with links to allow folks to get all the info up front.
Posted by: mdanderson

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/26/17 09:41 PM

I am looking forward to the 976 since I was an original 950 owner and that unit was quite good for me back in it's time. I have never run REW and I am looking forward as well to trying this out with the 976. I read the rew guide and it says using the hdmi out from your laptop to hdmi in on your prepro is the easiest way to run the software. I would be interested in any thoughts on this. Thanks.
Posted by: AvFan

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 02/28/17 02:00 PM

I hope Outlaw includes in the 976's manual detailed instructions on how to use REW to set the EQ on the 976. The 976 would be a great option for me if I can achieve the same or better room correction adjusting the 976's EQ manually using third party software versus with an automated system. Also, I hope Outlaw will describe what the in-room response should be compared to industry standards. I can appreciate the ability to manually adjust the sound to an individual's preference but I need a starting point for those adjustments.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 03/01/17 06:11 PM

The REW manual is very detailed and large. The actual method to adjust the 976 EQ will surely be in the manual but how to connect the system and take the measurements should be in the REW manuals domain. Using REW is going to give you an idea of what to adjust but it will only be applicable in one measurement position for a single persons ears. REW will provide you areas to improve in your room and may make it easier to tweak your system for perfection for your listening tastes. I am not sure REW is going to be the panacea some think it is because although easy to use it may give a user too much control and allow them to make a decent sounding system worse. Trying to duplicate and improve what most of the room correction software does will be a real task. Of course, it does give the tweakers something to do with their systems since most don't have turntables to play with any more.
Posted by: AvFan

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 03/02/17 03:30 AM

I had a Pioneer HT receiver a few years ago that had EQ capabilities and its manual didn't describe how EQ was going to make my system sound better. Hopefully, the 976's manual will describe how to adjust its EQ functions but also how EQ can be used to address less than optimal room acoustics. But I need a target (flat or curved room response?) to shoot for. Certainly that target is embedded into automated room correction systems so it could be described in the 976 manual too. My experience with REW is limited to generating some test tones but if REW can help reach the room's acoustic target then hopefully Outlaw can include a "Cliff Notes" description of how to use it with the 976's EQ function.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 03/02/17 02:31 PM

This link has some excellent reading material from several sources. http://www.roomeqwizard.com/index.html#reading

The actual use of REW to it's full potential is complicated and to be done right needs a lot of understanding of room acoustics and time and frequency response curves and how to set them up and read them. I would think that the "ideal" response would be perfectly flat but, since we don't live in an ideal world, every room is going to require a specific adjustment curve. All REW can do is tell you where your room response is lacking and give you some capability to alleviate it for your room. REW tries to set your room up for one listening position whereas most other room corrections allow multiple positions but trade off accuracy at the master position to give us some sort of weighted average response.

I would expect Outlaw to give us detailed guidance on how to go about making the adjustments on the EQ menu but not so much guidance on how to use REW as there are so many ways to use it the manual would have to be very large. For those users wishing to really tweak their systems the guidance in the REW program and website will need to be used.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 03/02/17 07:55 PM

REW in and of itself looks more complicated than it is in reality.

Anyone who has not downloaded the free software should just to get their arms around the menus and example plots.

Do you have any way to run REW Xenon? I would like to see REW before and after plots of any and all of the automated correction options.

A stereo system with or without bass reinforcement (subwoofer) has in the past tried to follow what was referred to as a house curve. The house curve was flat more or less down to around 200hz (depending on speaker) then trying to do a gentle slope to +3db at 20hz. I do not like a dead flat house curve for anything other than live recorded full orchestra.

PEQ is different than automated correction in the user can get silly. Xenon commented the user might set PEQ by ear and get it wrong. I flashed back to all of the people I knew in the 70's with 10 band (full octave) eq's where the sliders always looked like smilies.

REW and PEQ is not going to be the bitch we are trying to make it out to be.

In REW you can set a mic point and freeze a plot. You can then set the mic in a new position and freeze a new plot. Move the mic to every listening position and average the plots the same as an automayted system. It is not rocket science.

I know I am directing much of this post to Xenon but you my missed my point in an earlier post.

Outlaw has a chance to use the forums as a marketing tool. You commented reviewers could explain set up where I think it is in Outlaw's best interest for a reviewer to point out "though the set up is manual the Outlaw Audio forums have dedicated users with hands on set up experience who are happy to answer questions and help new buyers get the most from Outlaw products".

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 03/03/17 02:29 PM

I do have the capability to run REW but I won't because I have no interest in tweaking my system endlessly and my system doesn't have an adjustable Equalizer. My rooms are relatively small and symmetrical and very easy to pressurize to extreme levels so I use a manual setup. I use my Radioshack meter and it works pretty well.

The biggest challenge I see to the REW process is getting the curves, reading them, making adjustments and then running the process again for the main seat to check for improvement. For other seats I guess you could run the it over and over again to see if the first adjustments made it better or worse. It seems like a lot of effort to manually what Audyysey does in auto. In the HT system I much prefer to use Audyssey to auto set the system and then check it with my meter.

For those hobbyists that love to tweak their systems, REW will be a great tool to master.

It would probably work for my music system since there is only my seat in that room but for the HT room I think the system will be too narrowly focused.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 03/07/17 08:56 AM

I understand you like how Audussey does the system and in your position I would feel the same. I was interested in seeing the REW info for a before and after automated correction data point.

I just want to see the graphs, was not trying to suggest you scrap Audussey and run a manual system set up. Sorry if my post was not clear on that point.

I have a friend with a newer Integra unit so will try to get over to his place this weekend to run sweeps. If I find anything interesting I will post the results.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 03/07/17 11:40 AM

I think I understand what you want to see from the curves. I know I definitely hear a difference when Audyssey is engaged and the adjustment is done. Since I would use my RS meter as the mike and AVS suggests it is not very good above 3khz I am not sure any value would be gained by looking at my curves.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 03/07/17 12:59 PM

We are on the same page. I want to see before and after curves to see the problems that might exist then how the correction handles everything.

If REW lists your RS meter in its mic list it might be worth playing with a bit. I doubt there is much going on above 3k. I am not sure about this but what about using the set up mic for your AVR?

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 03/07/17 04:19 PM

I thought about the setup mike but it would need a calibration file for REW. My original 990 setup mike was lost for 4 years but recently reappeared and is really geared to the 990s sensors. The Audyssey mike that came with my Onkyo uses a funky werbling sound for the setup and I don't know if it could be calibrated to REW specs. The RS meter is in REW but has its downsides. REW really wants us to use a specific calibrated mike.
Posted by: sdurani

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 03/08/17 02:36 AM

I flashed back to all of the people I knew in the 70's with 10 band (full octave) eq's where the sliders always looked like smilies.
They were doing loudness compensation, whether they realized it or not, boosting the parts of the spectrum (bass & treble) that fell off quickest when the volume was lowered to moderate listening levels.
Posted by: 975 destroyer

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 04/14/17 10:40 AM

Originally Posted By Helson
You might need to run the set up one time for each separate sub if that's the case.
users should try separate & together. My concern for users is the EQ for one sub may complement or clash w/the other.

For that matter, EQing one channel or sub at a time doesn't allow the software to adjust the channel's output particularly in the lower octaves. You may end up w/a "bassy" sounding system and not understand why.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 04/14/17 11:08 AM

We are on the same page. I want to see before and after curves to see the problems that might exist then how the correction handles everything.
me too! Further if the 976 allows even limited "tweaking" on the fly, that would be killer! The 975 allows amost every setting changed on the fly.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 04/15/17 06:49 AM

Originally Posted By 975 destroyer
You might need to run the set up one time for each separate sub if that's the case.
users should try separate & together. My concern for users is the EQ for one sub may complement or clash w/the other.

For that matter, EQing one channel or sub at a time doesn't allow the software to adjust the channel's output particularly in the lower octaves. You may end up w/a "bassy" sounding system and not understand why.

I think you will need to EQ each channel at a time first, then use the set up mic to adjust for levels.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 04/16/17 12:50 PM

I think you will need to EQ each channel at a time first, then use the set up mic to adjust for levels.

I am not trying to pick an argument with you Helson but I would think it would be just the opposite.

I would think the levels and time alignment would need to be first. If you eq to mismatched levels your PEQ settings will be off when you change the levels.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 04/18/17 11:21 AM

I would think the levels and time alignment would need to be first.
When setting levels, either manually using a SPL meter or automatically using the 976's included mic, a large peak in one of the channels can throw off the measurement, resulting in mismatched levels. To avoid mismatched levels, better to first EQ the response smooth and then set levels, as Helson posted.
If you eq to mismatched levels your PEQ settings will be off when you change the levels.
Levels shouldn't affect the EQ step. A 6dB peak will remain 6dB louder than adjacent frequencies whether you turn the level up or down.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 04/19/17 05:42 AM

Interesting. Seems to be the exact opposite of doing pro sound.

In a concert hall situation trying to eq is pointless unless the levels and time alignment are at least close. Everything will require adjustment along the way.

I have not made it very far into the REW site but what I have read has a section regarding time alignment. Looking at the screens there is detail shown that did not exist to us back then so can see minute adjustments to levels and distances as part of the process.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 04/20/17 10:51 AM

Thanks Sanjay. I was thinking more along the lines of adjusting the response of each channel first, before matching all the channel levels/distances.
I don't have experience with setting up pro sound. Not much I've done with PEQ in my own system either.

Can't wait to get this piece and use REW to fix some of the issues in my listening room. It will be interesting to see where the channel adjustments are needed. I know I probably need room treatments, but my area is dual purpose and I can't do everything needed as far as treatments go.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 04/20/17 12:56 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of adjusting the response of each channel first, before matching all the channel levels/distances.
If you think about it, distance settings can't be affected by frequency response because you're setting delays for each channel independently. Not like you're setting delays based on the interaction of two or more channels, where incorrect delays can result in constructive and destructive interference. So you can do distance settings before or after the EQ step.

It's different when setting levels. As mentioned before, frequency response can affect levels setting: e.g., a large peak can throw off a SPL meter, making the channel seem louder than it really is, resulting in the level being set to low. Smoothening out the response for each channel first (to whatever extent you can) will subsequently make for more closely matched levels.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 04/21/17 10:01 AM

"If you think about it, distance settings can't be affected by frequency response because you're setting delays for each channel independently."
@Sanjay, I see your point. I've been accustomed to setting the levels and delays together. Not so much with the EQ process. Looking forward to that.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 04/21/17 08:05 PM

I pray no one tries to EQ a small bookshelf flat to below 30hz.

Anyone boosting 5-6 dB below 100hz; 3dB below 50hz can & likely will get themselves in deep doodoo. Either blown woofers, tweeters or both.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 07/24/17 07:49 PM

The 10 band EQ will allow you to adjust the relative level of 10 individual bands of frequencies [much] like a very sophisticated tone control.
Yup

Thus you could boost the midrange and decrease the high end if you so choose. This will allow you to customize the sound in your room to your specific tastes.
Avoid getting "too tasty" especially in the bass. Otherwise you may be a frequent new tweeter buyer.

A pro sound tech will tell you: use the EQ to "carve the sound" as in wood or stone, remove what you don't want. At the same time, a Body shop guy will tell you: a little putty is ok here & there, but a lot in any one place is bad. Same applies to boosting more than a little.

The Destroyer

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 07/29/17 07:20 PM

After running REW will I be able to use it when listening to multi channel music(sacd for example) through the analog outs of my Oppo 205? I hope this is not a stupid question. I realize REW is not a room correction software like Dirac but as I understand it, REW is a tool for measuring the acoustics in your room and then use the PEQ of the 976 prepro to smooth things out. Thanks for any input.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 07/29/17 10:25 PM

It will likely depend on where it is in the analog domain. I would think that all analog output will go through REW before the amps. As long as the multichannel input to the 976 is part of that domain all should be well.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 08/01/17 01:59 PM

It will likely depend on where it is in the analog domain. I would think that all analog output will go through REW before the amps. As long as the multichannel input to the 976 is part of that domain all should be well.

Thanks for the informatuon.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 09/02/17 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By sdurani
If you think about it, distance settings can't be affected by frequency response because you're setting delays for each channel independently....

Yuuup...

...So you can do distance settings before or after the EQ step.
You set distance BEFORE messing w/levels or eq. You made clear why in the latter part of your post.

It's different when setting levels. As mentioned before, frequency response can affect levels setting: e.g., a large peak (or dip) can throw off a SPL meter, making the channel seem louder (or softer) than it really is, resulting in the level being set incorrectly. Smoothening out the response for each channel first (to whatever extent you can) will subsequently make for more closely matched levels.
Yes!

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 09/04/17 02:24 PM

You set distance BEFORE messing w/levels or eq. You made clear why in the latter part of your post.
No. Peaks & dips in the frequency response don't affect delays like they do levels, so distances can be set before or after equalization.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 09/04/17 10:46 PM

Peaks and dips may not effect time alignment but changes in time alignment will show on waterfall plots generated by REW.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 09/05/17 06:28 PM

How will delaying a signal change its waterfall plot?

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 09/06/17 09:39 AM

It is not just one signal. If time alignment is off across multiple sources as we have in theatre systems REW will see it.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 09/06/17 05:31 PM

You're measuring multiple signals/channels simultaneously? Why would you do that when each channel is EQ'd independently of other channels?

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 09/08/17 10:27 AM

I start one channel at a time then run all together to check interactions.

I start by setting distances and levels then go channel by channel finishing by running all channels.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 09/08/17 10:53 AM

Each channel gets independent signals, so if you're checking their interaction using the same signal, that doesn't tell you anything about what it will sound like in actual use.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 09/08/17 07:02 PM

You do understand the concept of multi channel disks? I am not trying to be a smart ass, only asking. For 5.1 you run five seperate channels plus sub of pink noise. Do each channel plus sub seperate then all together.

Do you eq stereo one channel at a time only? If you do then you are going against every stand alone eq manufacturer on the planet.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 09/08/17 09:38 PM

I start w/one channel at a time ...
With a test signal, (e.g. pink noise)...
...then run [test again] all together to check interactions.
such as room modes. So far, so good.

Each channel gets independent signals...
...only when watching a movie or listening music
...so if you're checking their interaction using the same [test] signal, that doesn't tell you anything about what it [or they] will sound like in actual use.
Checking "their interaction" (or correctly) the final calibrating, is not supposed to "tell you" what your system will sound like in actual use.
If your system's "interaction" has balanced tone and all channels (2, 5, 6, 7, or 8) are wired w/ matching polarity*, in theory, the system should not "have a sound." It should be "invisible to your ears."
* incorrectly referred to as in-phase

Examine my signature carefully. You will see a very complex system. Tri-amped LCR channels & dedicated surround L&R channel subs not to mention an LFE/sub. I used the same thought process as SteveB to guide me from from a to z. The final steps I use selected tracks from CDs* I've heard thousands of times on many systems over the last 35 years, some costing well up in the 5 figures.
* and certain video passages

Tony

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 09/09/17 09:56 AM

I do it the same way Tony. When I still ran SDA's the procedure was to do each channel separately without the interconnect cable then run both channels together with the cable in place for the final tweaks.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 09/10/17 07:36 PM

No. Peaks & dips in the frequency response don't affect delays like they do levels, so distances can be set before or after equalization.

So why not do things as eq makers dictate things should be done?

I am still not trying to break your balls just saying. I have never met a pro sound guy that would agree with your method.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 09/10/17 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By Owl's_Warder
So I could use a bit of an education here. I see a lot of software acronyms and discussion of using them with the 10 band EQ in the 976 in lieu of built-in room correction. Is anyone willing to shed some light on that process and how it works?

For both the 1050 and the 975, I just used my trusty Radio Shack SPL meter and the test signals to set everything up and then adjusted the .1 channel "by hand" as it never really seemed to register properly with a test signal. I just fiddled with the sub level until it sounded good to me and called it a day. That's given me great results in our home so far. smile

How does a 10 band EQ change this process? What does the software do? Honestly, I'm enough in the dark with this change I'm not entirely even sure what questions to ask but I'm hoping this is a good starting point for a conversation on it.

It really is as simple as can be. The 975 sets distances for time alignment and levels for equal output between channels.

The 10 band peq (parametric equilization) now allows us to read and compensate for rings or nulls. A ring is a hot spot where a null is a low. Bass nulls have also been refferd to as a suck out as all the bass is sucked out.

In my room I have the left speaker in the corner which is the junction of two brick walls. The right speaker has the brick wall behind and a panneling wal to the side. To get the levels correct the brick corner speaker is a full db lower than the paneling wall speaker.

REW (room eq wizzard) is a freeware piece of software that when connected to a microphone reads the rings and nulls in your room.

Your rat shack meter is fine for most of what you might need. Specs say it should be good up to 3k with user reports giving it closer to 2k. Most any room issue you may have will be well below 2k.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 09/11/17 02:24 AM

Do you eq stereo one channel at a time only?
Sure. EVERY room correction system (Audyssey, Dirac, Trinnov, ARCOS, etc) measures and EQs each channel independently. NONE of them measure or EQ the interaction between channels.
Posted by: EEman

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 09/11/17 12:29 PM

This is very interesting and I've been trying to frame a response for a week or so, but it's very complex.

There's two basic things going on with audio systems: Magnitude Response and Phase Response. Each speaker in your system will have a these responses that vary depending on where you measure. Of course we measure where we listen.

Our systems are also linear time invariant, which means if we play a disc today then tomorrow it will sound the same (unless something breaks). This means that the response of each speaker run individually and added together is equal to the response of both speakers run together.

However when we add responses we have to add the combined Magnitude/Phase response (the Complex Responses).

Now, delay is phase. It has no effect on magnitude for a single source. For example, if we add two equal sine waves that are 180 degrees out of phase we get nothing (perfect cancellation). However the magnitude response of both signals would be the same but the phase responses would be opposite and when you add the complex responses you get zero. (This is hard to explain without equations, but I'm controlling myself)

So if you set the delay and flatten the frequency response on each channel individually then we should be happy.

Except I can think of a couple gotchas.

1. If you don't actually look at the Phase Response of each speaker (Does REW do this??) then you have no way to check if you wired one speak in backwards (180 degrees out of phase). Also most people don't really have a good sense of phase and what it looks like in a graph.

2. While we do our best to make the response flat there might be some interactions between speakers that may cause slight perturbation in the magnitude response. For example, if both your mains happen to have a 0.5 dB bump at the same frequency they would add together and might be noticeable under test. Will it be noticeable with real world material? Who knows?

Testing speakers in pairs would eliminate both those. Actually I would pick one and check the others one at a time against the one.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 09/11/17 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By EEman
Does REW do this??
Yes, REW can generate phase plots for each speaker, as well as split them into separate minimum phase & excess phase graphs, and derive group delay for both.

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 09/13/17 10:36 AM

Great post EEman. I for one would love to see you go deeper into the technical side of parametric eq. I think the ten band peq will be simple to set as long as a person understands what REW is showing for issues.

I do have a question. Does overall phase change with frequency based phase shifts in crossover components?

You also mentioned setting for a flat response. With stereo the common practice is to set a "house curve". Starting at or just below 200hz dial in a gentle slope to +3db at 20hz. Do we not do this any longer?
Posted by: EEman

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 09/13/17 08:16 PM

Great post EEman.

Thanks.

I do have a question. Does overall phase change with frequency based phase shifts in crossover components?

Yes. Linkwitz and Reily have become quite famous for designing a crossover filter that is not only is flat in frequency but quite well behaved in phase too. What this means for the speaker is that, in the crossover region, they are moving in the same direction at the same time (i.e. in phase).

With digital signal processing becoming affordable for home theaters it became possible to design filters with perfectly linear phase (FIR filter-Finite Impulse Response filter). These types of filters are popular because linear phase implies that the output in the pass band is the same as the input except shifted in time, usually by half the filter length. It's simple to line up multiple filter outputs (say 10) when you reconstruct the signal.

That's the purist view. Infinite impulse response filters can be made to work also and usually require fewer computations.

You also mentioned setting for a flat response. With stereo the common practice is to set a "house curve". Starting at or just below 200hz dial in a gentle slope to +3db at 20hz. Do we not do this any longer?

idk. I understand the signal processing aspects well enough but the human perception of the acoustics is not my area of specialty. I just do what the experts say. The trick is figuring out who the experts are. laugh

Re: 10 Band EQ on the 976 - 09/14/17 09:43 AM

Wow! I REALLY enjoyed the last 3-4 replies.

They struck serveral cords inspiring comments & questions, like 2nd order Butterworth versus 4 LR. Finishing up my coffee break. Later tonight I may have time to process and post. However w/a wedding Saturday and 10 hour days @ AT&T in Georgia I doubt it.

The 975 Destroyer, Tony