Feature request re: USB power

Posted by: Brian 2160

Feature request re: USB power - 02/11/19 09:58 AM

Hello,
I'm using a google chromecast on one of my optical inputs and I'm powering it with the RR2160's USB ports. This saves me running a power line to the wall socket and helps the system look nicer.

But when the amp is turned off and back on, the USB port doesn't get power, even if I switch source to another choice then back to the optical input. I only get power if I physically unplug the USB port and put it back in.

If this is something you could fix in a software update it would be really nice. The chromecast is a handy way to listen to music and it would be good if it powered up with the amp.
Posted by: Helson

Re: Feature request re: USB power - 02/11/19 06:00 PM

If it works by unplugging/re-plugging the cable, I wouldn't suspect the RR2160's USB port. That would seem like it's putting out the 5 volts. I would suspect the USB cable or the 4 pins being oxidized, either on the cable or the port.
Try plugging in and out several times and leave it plugged in. That will scrape the pin contacts together and remove any surface oxidation.
Then turn the RR2160 off and back on and see if they power up together.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Feature request re: USB power - 02/11/19 10:50 PM

Contact Outlaw service. It doesn't seem right the way you describe it and it is the first time this has come up in the forum.
Posted by: Brian 2160

Re: Feature request re: USB power - 02/20/19 03:42 PM

Interestingly it seems to be working fine now. The last three or four times I've turned the amp on (with the standby button, not the main switch on the back) the chromecast has been there and ready to play.

Gremlins! Gremlins everywhere smile
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Feature request re: USB power - 02/23/19 11:35 AM

As long as you use the standby switch the power to the USB port is maintained so the chromecast is ready to go.