USB input to USB type C

Posted by: tru blu

USB input to USB type C - 04/29/18 07:32 AM

Hey 'Slingers. Just encountered a tiny weirdness concerning the RR 2160's USB input. I've been using it with a MacBook Pro since I got my 2160, as I did with my previous 2150. Sweet sounds, indeed. But I just got a new MacBook, which no longer has the old USB type A output/connector. Apple has moved to the smaller, reputedly faster USB type C connector. Faster data transfer is better, correct?

Only one problem: When I use an adapter to connect the old USB-A input from the RR2160 to the new MacBook's USB-C output, the music is marred by intermittently faint pops, almost as if I was playing an older LP in fair condition. It's bearable, but also a tad frustrating. I've tried a few different adapters now, thinking quality might be a factor. To no avail. It'd be cool if someone, maybe the Outlaws, could come up with a solution. I really like using my laptop as a source.

-tru blu
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: USB input to USB type C - 04/29/18 09:20 AM

Is the cable an active cable? If so, is it possible the chip is messing with the signal? Have you tried using the other USB input (USB-B type). Would also need adapter but may work better since it is designed for PC input.

Re: USB input to USB type C - 04/29/18 09:36 AM

OK, so I just learned something: there's another USB input? Hadn't realized that. What's it for exactly? I'm using the USB-A cable that I'd been using with my old MacBook and 2150. Might have to look into the other (USB-B?) input.

Re: USB input to USB type C - 04/29/18 09:46 AM

Oh, wait, I got confused. The cable I'm running to the USB input is a USB-B type. The ends are USB-B to USB-A, which connected to the USB-A on my old MacBook Pro. I should see if I can find a USB-B to USB-C type cable.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: USB input to USB type C - 04/29/18 01:24 PM

Why not just use the old Mac as a music server? The DACs in the new Mac are not as good as those in the 2160 and you aren't gaining anything with the new Mac from a sound quality standpoint. The only time you are actually using the DACs in the Mac are when you have a 3.5 mm jack in use. Otherwise the USB should put straight undecoded data to the 2160 for it to decode using its DACs.