RR2150 vs RR2160

Posted by: whitster

RR2150 vs RR2160 - 01/01/18 02:50 PM

As an RR2150 owner I wonder if anyone has done a direct listening comparison between the two units? Also, can Ben or someone tell us at what wattage the two amps change from class A to class B? (Assuming an 8 ohm load.)

Re: RR2150 vs RR2160 - 01/01/18 03:08 PM

Additionally, has anyone done a listening or measuring comparison between the A and B speaker outputs for either unit? (I'm wondering about the possible effect of the bass management / subwoofer crossover switch on the back panel.)
Posted by: EEman

Re: RR2150 vs RR2160 - 01/03/18 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By whitster
As an RR2150 owner I wonder if anyone has done a direct listening comparison between the two units? Also, can Ben or someone tell us at what wattage the two amps change from class A to class B? (Assuming an 8 ohm load.)

Interesting question. Do we know that the RR series operates linearly for some low power level? My understanding is that this is a special topology of a class A/B amplifier and that not all A/B amplifiers work that way. I don't recall this ever being discussed...
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: RR2150 vs RR2160 - 01/04/18 12:49 PM

The advantage of the AB design is that the crossover point from A to B is a smooth change that we are not supposed to notice. I am not a engineer but my understanding is that at some point the two amp classes share the duty so that there is not an audible changeover. Class A amps are very linear but very inefficient so they are good for low power uses. Class B amps don't due low power very well as they take a definite value of input signal before they begin working. However, they are more efficient than class A amps but not as linear. They are good for high power uses. Combine the two and you get the best of both worlds - Linear low power operations and High power capability.
Posted by: EEman

Re: RR2150 vs RR2160 - 01/04/18 02:23 PM

Here's a good description of amplifier classes along with an example of a class A/B amp that operates linearly at lower powers.

Re: RR2150 vs RR2160 - 01/09/18 01:18 PM

Thanks guys for the "feedback". I've been wondering if the new features of the RR2160 along with the additional power would justify replacing my RR2150 with it. Currently I use the B speaker outputs to avoid the bass management circuitry of the A speaker switch. I do use a sub much of the time, but I run my current speakers full range and use the sub's crossover to augment low bass. (Sometimes I just use the 55hz EQ setting.) Also, I am one of those who had a problem with the bass management switch. I found that the 60hz crossover position was actually the real bypass!
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: RR2150 vs RR2160 - 01/10/18 02:03 PM

You won't notice the extra 10 watts of power except maybe a little extra headroom. The difference between 100 wpc and 110 wpc is less than one db. Using a subwoofer probably provides more power available for your mains than the power increase does.

The real advantage of the 2160 is updated electronics and connectivity to digital devices.
Posted by: No Good Points

Re: RR2150 vs RR2160 - 01/16/18 10:33 PM

I have both and as amplifiers and to me they sound more alike than different. After a couple weeks of listening/comparing, the 2160 sounds cleaner and more balanced, the 2150 warmer but this is very slight, not something that would cause me to purchase the newer unit unless you wanted the better dacs and additional features of the 2160. I don't listen at ear-bleeding levels or in a big room so can't say I hear much difference in dynamics or power.