975 Video output settings

Posted by: grinchnet

975 Video output settings - 07/02/18 11:02 AM

Got my new 975 hooked up and running, went through all the setup menus reading along with the manual, but the manual is vague on the color settings for video output. I've noticed since changing to the 975 that the reds are especially brilliant and intense on my tv, (when I setup the tv, used a professional color setting dvd with all the filters, etc... color looked great until I changed processor) but all the other colors look good still. Would the Hue and Saturation settings be the ones to adjust? and which way for less red intensity? Right now, I have them set to 975 factory default, and have adjusted color using the tv settings (which washes out some of the colors once you get off-axis) any help on which way to adjust these? Thanks for the assist!
PS - love my new 975/5000 system!! Soooo much better than my old surround system! Thank you Outlaw!
Posted by: EEman

Re: 975 Video output settings - 07/02/18 01:38 PM

If you're running the 975 video in the "Native" mode (which is how I do mine for all high definition sources) the Hue, Saturation, etc. do nothing. In Native mode the 975 will pass through the video unchanged and allow you to adjust the TV to get the best color settings.

Are you running native or autoscale on your video inputs?

Re: 975 Video output settings - 07/02/18 03:54 PM

Running Native right now on inputs. Should I run autoscale? Which is better for HD sources? Currently using Mac Mini as home Server for Netflix, Amazon, etc. and Oppo UDP-203 for disc playback thru Sharp 120hz 1080p LCD screen, all hookups are HDMI. Thank you, EEman!

Re: 975 Video output settings - 07/02/18 03:54 PM

Running Native right now on inputs. Should I run autoscale? Which is better for HD sources? Currently using Mac Mini as home Server for Netflix, Amazon, etc. and Oppo UDP-203 for disc playback thru Sharp 120hz 1080p LCD screen, all hookups are HDMI. Thank you, EEman!
Posted by: EEman

Re: 975 Video output settings - 07/03/18 07:25 AM

Personally, I'd leave the 975 on Native then you know it's not changing the video colors. So that leaves the Oppo and the TV as sources of possible color changes.

It's possible your old processor was treating the reds different then the neutral 975 and now that you switched you're just seeing the effects of your old processor. You'll probably just need to re-tune the color setup on the TV and possibly the Oppo to get the colors right. What reference disk are you using?

Aside: I bet the 975/5000 combo makes those Paradigms sing...

Re: 975 Video output settings - 07/03/18 11:04 AM

Feeling a bit foolish now...
Going through my TV settings, noticed that it was on "game" mode...
Thanks, kids!
When I put it back in my "Custom" setting, picture was perfect... no weird color intensities anymore... crazy
Thanks for the info, EEman!
(Yes, they do sing quite a bit better than with the old system) grin