Outlaw 976

Posted by: Alien

Outlaw 976 - 05/21/17 12:45 PM

Anyone have any thought regarding how the upcoming 976 would compare to the Emotiva MC700?
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Outlaw 976 - 05/23/17 12:30 PM

Without actually hearing or seeing the 976 it is hard to tell. They both appear to have similar features.
Posted by: Stephen B

Re: Outlaw 976 - 05/23/17 01:10 PM

Originally Posted By Alien
Anyone have any thought regarding how the upcoming 976 would compare to the Emotiva MC700?

I had opportunity to compare the M-975 to the comparable Emotiva of the time. I ordered the Outlaw at the same time a friend ordered the Emotiva.

We both ended up with the Outlaw based on the SQ. I am expecting good things from the 976.
Posted by: TCat

Re: Outlaw 976 - 05/25/17 09:33 AM

The Emotiva MC-700 has had more than a few teething pains, and is currently not available (planned for about a week out.) The 976 also isn't available yet, but hasn't yet been released. So the ability to hear it, once released, seems more likely.

Of course it's hard to do a real comparison. Likely differences:
1. Outlaw has newer HDMI support - 4 x 2.0b (plus 2 x legacy), while Emotiva has 3 x 2.0a. This will provide the ability to use HLG (hybrid-log-gamma) HDR through the processor. For video wonks such as me, this is pretty important, but if you don't upgrade your sources - won't have a UHD/4K BluRay or Roku in the near future - it won't impact you.

2. Outlaw names their DAC (TI/Burr-Brown), although the context is rather odd (LCR only); Emotiva doesn't name theirs.

3. Conveniences. 976 can play, out of the box, Bluetooth, so that will sound better. wink It has better (and powered) USB support also.

I'm not an Outlaw fanboy - don't own any Outlaw yet. But the MC700 seems to have come with the usual drama from that company. Not only do I need a good sounding pre during the music, but one where I don't hear the gnashing of my own teeth during the quiet parts.
Posted by: Helson

Re: Outlaw 976 - 05/26/17 08:27 AM

Originally Posted By TCat
The Emotiva MC-700 has had more than a few teething pains, and is currently not available (planned for about a week out.) The 976 also isn't available yet, but hasn't yet been released. So the ability to hear it, once released, seems more likely.

I've read most of the MC-700 issues thread. Haven't been there for awhile so, I wasn't aware they weren't currently available. Gives me a better understanding of why the Outlaw piece hasn't been released yet. They've shown to care about getting things right before release. This was one of the reasons why they cancelled one of their products before release. (The model that was to have Trinnov room correction.) Must've invested quite a bit of cash on that, but dropped it regardless, instead of selling a product to customers that wasn't right.
Posted by: J.H.

Re: Outlaw 976 - 06/13/17 08:38 PM

About the TI/Burr-Brown DACs, I have been trying to track down the number. Usually there is a number associated with the DAC. Anyone know the TI/Burr-Brown number? Thanks for any help.
Posted by: EEman

Re: Outlaw 976 - 06/14/17 12:54 PM

I looked a little and have no idea. Here is the link to the Searchable TI Audio DAC Page.

Lots of choices and there's no saying that Outlaw and others don't have a "Special" part number that is not on the website yet.

Re: Outlaw 976 - 06/14/17 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By EEman
I looked a little and have no idea. Here is the link to the Searchable TI Audio DAC Page.

Lots of choices and there's no saying that Outlaw and others don't have a "Special" part number that is not on the website yet.

Thanks for looking. Anyone from Outlaw like to enlighten us on the DAC number? That would be really cool.
Posted by: Helson

Re: Outlaw 976 - 06/15/17 11:12 AM

Originally Posted By J.H.
Originally Posted By EEman

Thanks for looking. Anyone from Outlaw like to enlighten us on the DAC number? That would be really cool.

Thanks for the TI link! I threw in some spec parameters such as, 192k/24-bit; 2-channels for ins and outs (LCR, and single channel didn't go thru); I also chose the highest SNR spec: 127dB(cause Outlaw cares about SQ) There is another spec for control interface, so I left that blank and came up with 5 choices for DACs. Try it if you like wink

Re: Outlaw 976 - 06/19/17 08:55 PM

I am patiently waiting for an announcement for a release date. Can't wait to see customer and professional reviews.