DTS and the 975!!!

Posted by: Outlaw Nancy

DTS and the 975!!! - 11/14/13 04:08 PM

Outlaw is proud to announce that we are not only a DTS licensee, but that DTS relies on the Model 975 in their labs and demo facilities!
Posted by: sdurani

Re: DTS and the 975!!! - 11/16/13 11:30 AM

Outstanding!
Posted by: Owl's_Warder

Re: DTS and the 975!!! - 11/16/13 12:44 PM

Well done, Outlaws!
Posted by: Hank

Re: DTS and the 975!!! - 12/02/13 01:19 PM

Congrats, Outlaws!
Posted by: eurorom47

Re: DTS and the 975!!! - 11/08/14 09:51 PM

Job well done!
Posted by: beyond 1000

Re: DTS and the 975!!! - 01/07/15 11:52 AM

Ok you guys and gals

I just saw that DTS-X will is announced and more information will be given in March. From what I read, Outlaw is interested in this.

Will DTS-X, which is touted as object-based, be incorporated in the 975? If so does this mean that the 975 will have 11.4 pre-outs? John Kellogg of DTS said in a interview about a year ago that their new MDA file (DTS-X?) will render object-based audio into a standard 5.1/7.1 bed and even 2.0 as well. He did say the more speakers the greater the effect but MDA will be designed to be immersive with the standard bed. I wonder if DTS-X will be that "MDA" file and if Outlaw is looking at that prospect into the 975 without adding additional outputs.

In my humble opinion what will work for the masses, that is soundbar to 11 speakers, will be the industry default which was what Kellogg was speaking about a year ago.

Can anybody chime in on this. I am waiting for final parameters to be met before replacing my Onkyo 906 with a 975 to join my AWARD WINNING 7500 power amp.

Good job Outlaw in the 7500/7700 and other power amps and in the superb 975!
Posted by: EEman

Re: DTS and the 975!!! - 01/10/15 10:17 AM

I don't see Outlaw releasing a SW update to the 975 incorporating DTS-X. I would imagine there's some significant development cost, assuming it would even fit within the fixed memory size of the 975. I don't see Outlaw giving that SW away and I don't think they've ever had a SW upgrade for purchase, although it's an interesting idea.

For the new processor, from the little I read, the hardware should be the same for Atmos and DTS-X so it's "just" software. I would expect to see both formats implemented, especially given recent announcements.

Re: DTS and the 975!!! - 01/10/15 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: beyond 1000
Will DTS-X, which is touted as object-based, be incorporated in the 975?
I don't see how that's possible, considering the 975 pre-dates the DSP chips needed to run Atmos and DTS:X. Heck, there's even talk that DTS:X won't be incorporated into current Atmos-based AVRs and pre-pros.

However, back in September, Dolby's press release outed Outlaw as an Atmos licensee, as did the recent DTS:X press release. So we know something is coming with both those formats, just don't know what that something is.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: DTS and the 975!!! - 01/10/15 05:22 PM

I think maybe Beyond1000 was referring to the newer Outlaw processor which has yet to be designated. I recommend the processor be named the 999.

Re: DTS and the 975!!! - 01/10/15 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: XenonMan
I think maybe Beyond1000 was referring to the newer Outlaw processor which has yet to be designated.
I guess the five times he repeatedly mentioned the 975 in his post in a thread specifically about the 975 threw me.

Re: DTS and the 975!!! - 01/10/15 11:04 PM

Yeah Me too.
Posted by: beyond 1000

Re: DTS and the 975!!! - 01/11/15 12:56 PM

Thanks a bunch Sanjay and Xenonman. Yes the 5 times I mentioned the 975 I guess threw you guys off. Sorry, what I should have mentioned is perhaps will they either put NEW processing chips on the current 975 as an upgrade for DTS-X or will Outlaw release a NEW machine such as a "999" as Xenonman stated.

Re: DTS and the 975!!! - 01/11/15 04:32 PM

Outlaw is planning a new machine in spring 2015 which is likely to include Atmos and DTs-X capability if all the speculation is close. Since Outlaw is now licensed by both, I think the expectation is that they will have both in the new processor. This was sent in an email to current owners a while back.

Re: DTS and the 975!!! - 01/11/15 04:38 PM

By the way, there is no way they will change out the chipset in the 975 to allow either Atmos or DTS-X capability as it would be too labor intensive and would require new firmware. Better to get the new processor out on time.

Re: DTS and the 975!!! - 01/12/15 01:33 PM

"Outlaw is planning a new machine in spring 2015 which is likely to include Atmos and DTs-X capability if all the speculation is close."
"Better to get the new processor out on time."

UH-OH! A product introduction date and an on-time urge. Let the games begin!!

Re: DTS and the 975!!! - 01/12/15 11:29 PM

I am a veteran of the past issues with the previous vapor processors. It is never too early to urge completion of the project but we must recognize that whatever is coming, it is past the drawing board and is likely already beyond any suggestions for the various bells and whistles. We should concentrate on the big things that we may have some evidence for. In the past the Outlaws have been very cautious about not getting ourselves into a frenzy. This leads them to not post information because we tend to turn it into an Anthony Wiener event.

Re: DTS and the 975!!! - 01/14/15 01:16 PM

You're preaching to the choir, brother