Emotiva UMC1

Posted by: kscharf

Emotiva UMC1 - 01/20/10 09:44 PM

I looked at Emotiva's website a few days ago. They FINALLY have a user manual for the UMC-1 posted. From the manual this rig looks impressive. The UMC-1 can be set up for 16 virtual inputs, and you can select from ANY of the video and audio inputs. You can rename any of the inputs except for the tuner (since you can't reassign the tuner input to anything else anyway). You can have several inputs assigned to the same audio or video connections and just change the processing selections. For someone who has a lot of legacy equipment and ran out of jacks on the back of the unit this thing is a dream come true. Use the analog a/v inputs for that old VCR, tape deck, add a preamp for the turntable. Use the digital inputs for BD, upscaling DVD, component video and coax digital audio for the cable/sat box, etc. Even add a computer for on line sources. There is also a second zone (stereo only). I can't wait to read a review on the UMC-1.
Posted by: Ritz2

Re: Emotiva UMC1 - 01/21/10 07:32 AM

Seems like a nice unit at a very attractive price. Too bad it's made in China. That rules it out for me (along with the Outlaw 997).
Posted by: gonk

Re: Emotiva UMC1 - 01/21/10 11:37 AM

I like the virtual inputs. The "legacy" analog inputs are actually kind of sparse for a typical surround processor, but having the digital inputs (coaxial, optical, HDMI) and component video inputs separated out is a nice refinement of a trend we've been seeing for several years now. I hate the lack of discrete input commands on the remote. There should be discrete codes available for Harmony (and presumably URC and Pronto) within the next month or so, which will help, and I kind of see why they did it now (16 input buttons would be a bit dense on the remote). I just think that from a user interface standpoint it's a pain, even though you can remove unused inputs from the rotation.
Posted by: KOYAAN

Re: Emotiva UMC1 - 01/21/10 12:06 PM

Just scanning the product information on the Emotiva website, I don't see any mention of SACD or DVD-A decoding. Am I just overlooking it ?

Re: Emotiva UMC1 - 01/21/10 02:47 PM

DVD-Audio decoding is covered by compatibility with multichannel PCM via HDMI. DVD-Audio players have to unpack the MLP data into LPCM anyway. As for SACD, I didn't see any mention of DSD support, so you'd need to have a player that converted DSD to LPCM if you wanted to use HDMI.

Re: Emotiva UMC1 - 01/21/10 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: gonk
I like the virtual inputs. The "legacy" analog inputs are actually kind of sparse for a typical surround processor, but having the digital inputs (coaxial, optical, HDMI) and component video inputs separated out is a nice refinement of a trend we've been seeing for several years now. I hate the lack of discrete input commands on the remote. There should be discrete codes available for Harmony (and presumably URC and Pronto) within the next month or so, which will help, and I kind of see why they did it now (16 input buttons would be a bit dense on the remote). I just think that from a user interface standpoint it's a pain, even though you can remove unused inputs from the rotation.
The input method is similar to what's on my Visio TV. To select an HDMI input you have to scroll between the 4 inputs, and the newer sets have 5 or 6 hdmi inputs. I do hope they publish discrete codes for everything including discrete on/off for use with remote control systems such as the Niles IC2.

Re: Emotiva UMC1 - 01/21/10 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: kscharf
The input method is similar to what's on my Visio TV. To select an HDMI input you have to scroll between the 4 inputs, and the newer sets have 5 or 6 hdmi inputs. I do hope they publish discrete codes for everything including discrete on/off for use with remote control systems such as the Niles IC2.

The arrangement is very common on TV's, especially on the factory remotes. My Zenith 32" HDTV had undocumented discrete input codes, as does my Sony 40" LCD. I don't think that my cheap Sceptre in the bedroom does. As common as it is, though, it is also kinda frustrating (especially when programming a universal remote). For a surround processor, though, it's pretty unheard of to omit discrete input commands.
Posted by: og33

Re: Emotiva UMC1 - 01/22/10 02:54 PM

Haven't been on Emo's forum, but there's a thread over on AVS stating there are problems with the UMC1..it already needs a fix. Sounds like they may have released it too soon without getting all the bugs out.
Posted by: butchgo

Re: Emotiva UMC1 - 01/22/10 06:41 PM

It looks like the have a small software problem but they are expecting a firmware update here shortly.
Any processor based device is going to have some problems when it finally gets in the hands of the consumer.
Oppo went through it with the BDP-83 and Outlaw will when the 997 comes out.
It is impossible to work out eveything in beta testing.

Re: Emotiva UMC1 - 01/23/10 06:57 PM

There was a note on their website that indicated there already was a fix out for the latest units shipping and a download would be available for those with product in their hands. Hey we all remember the 970 'no audio' bug and the two or three software updates to fix that.

Re: Emotiva UMC1 - 01/24/10 10:28 AM

I hadn't been following the UMC real closely (I have an account at Emotiva Lounge but rarely log in). I did come across thus AVS thread this morning, though. It seems like a lot of problems to have crop up as unintended consequences of a firmware update.
Quote:
Oppo went through it with the BDP-83 and Outlaw will when the 997 comes out.
It is impossible to work out eveything in beta testing.

This is very true. I think that Emotiva may have been a little too insistent that it would be "perfect" when it shipped, especially since some of the bugs that are appearing are a bit on the "easy to spot/irritating" side.

Re: Emotiva UMC1 - 01/24/10 08:56 PM

They think they have it under control now. http://emotiva.com/news.shtm

There is a section in the manual on what to do if the unit locks up. I thought THAT was a bad sign. Hellofa thing to have in the manual!

Re: Emotiva UMC1 - 01/24/10 09:55 PM

Hopefully it is all resolved, but they have declared it to be working "perfectly" before (I recall something similar in early December). Best bet is probably to wait for the firmware to go out and prove itself - which sounds like it could happen in the next few days.
Posted by: Ritz2

Re: Emotiva UMC1 - 01/25/10 07:44 AM

Originally Posted By: kscharf
They think they have it under control now. http://emotiva.com/news.shtm

There is a section in the manual on what to do if the unit locks up. I thought THAT was a bad sign. Hellofa thing to have in the manual!

A number of folks here have had their 990 go catatonic in the past and there is a procedure to "reboot" it as well. I'm not sure I understand your comment.

Not really a big UMC fan, but I see the ability to "reboot" and reflash as a feature, not a bug.

Best,

Re: Emotiva UMC1 - 01/25/10 04:29 PM

Having the reboot instructions in the manual is a good idea. What I meant was that Emotiva seemed to EXPECT that it would be required in the wording they used. Sounded like the possible drug side effects mentioned in all those drug ad's.

Re: Emotiva UMC1 - 02/13/10 11:05 AM

Emotiva has posted the software update and instructions on their website. Seems the problems may have been fixed. They also have a video posted on the UMC-1 that is quite interesting. They have also posted some discrete IR input codes for the unit.