Yes, I need help hooking up a VCR

Posted by: titleist

Yes, I need help hooking up a VCR - 01/07/09 10:14 PM

Periodically my parents ask me to tape a movie for them on TCM and my girlfriend also has a number of Shirley Temple VHS movies that she likes to watch. I jut got a new Pioneer Elite Receiver and I need help getting this hooked up. The hookup needs to include the Dish Network VIP 612, a Pioneer Elite VSX01 receiver, a basic Zenith VCR, and a Pioneer 1140HD TV. I just want the ability to play movies and record movies off of the Dish Network DVR. Thanks in advance for your help
Posted by: gonk

Re: Yes, I need help hooking up a VCR - 01/07/09 10:47 PM

If you only plan to record to the VCR from the Dish DVR, you might do something similar to what I've done: connect the composite video and stereo analog output of the DVR to the VCR's line input, connect the DVR to the receiver using HDMI or component/digital audio, and connect the VCR to the receiver using composite video and stereo analog.

Re: Yes, I need help hooking up a VCR - 01/07/09 11:49 PM

Gonk, I'm getting the audio but not the video. D I need a composite video connection from the receiver to the tv

Re: Yes, I need help hooking up a VCR - 01/08/09 01:18 AM

I ran a composite video from the receiver to the display as well as swapped out a couple cables that may have been bad so I'm not sure what the problem was but it works now...Thanks Gonk
Posted by: gonk

Re: Yes, I need help hooking up a VCR - 01/08/09 03:28 AM

I don't know how the receiver you are using handles video switching, but a composite input can sometimes be transcoded to component (as the 990 does) or even deinterlaced and converted to digital for HDMI output. Depending on what is available, you may need a separate monitor output cable.