Would like opinions on amplifiers

Posted by: RedSIinPA

Would like opinions on amplifiers - 11/05/08 01:54 AM

Hey all,

Lately I've been thinking that I would like to try experimenting with some additional power in my setup. My speakers are relatively unknown - in fact, quite unknown. I'm aware they're not uber high end - that's ok by me as I got a really nice deal on them. (can be seen here: http://www.sonic.net/soundscape/analogexpert.com/earthquake/speakers.html).
They sound quite nice and in this setup, they can pack a punch. But I'm looking to try and squeeze more out of the system (aren't we all smile ). Specs are here:

Sat-3611 Tower (2)
Magnetically shielded
Enclosure Type: Bass-reflex
One 1-inch high definition silk dome tweeter
One 6.5-inch kevlar midrange driver
Two 6.5-inch carbon fiber bass drivers
Power Handling: 600 watts peak, nominal 15w-400w
Sensitivity: 90dB @ 1W/1M
Net Weight: 49.5 lbs
Dimensions (HxWxD): 41.33"x8.85"x13"

Sat-2511 Center Channel (1)
Magnetically shielded
Enclosure Type: Bass-reflex
Two 5.25-inch kevlar mid-bass drivers
Power Handling: 300W Max, 10-200W Nominal
Sensitivity: 89dB @ 1W/1M
Net Weight: 17.1 lbs
Dimensions (HxWxD): 6.25"x22"x9"

Sat-1511 Monitor (2)
Magnetically shielded
Enclosure type: Bass-reflex
One 5.25-inch kevlar mid-bass driver
Power Handling: 300W Max, 10-200W Nominal
Sensitivity: 88dB @ 1W/1M
Net Weight: 10.2 lbs
Dimensions (HxWxD): 11.5"x7.16"x9.24"

I feel that at higher volumes, I'm losing sound quality. I also think the mids and highs arestruggling a bit in demanding sequences. I would like to achieve more clarity at higher volumes and more punch too. (The subs have plenty of punch at high volumes but I feel like they're "outrunning" the speakers in demanding movie sequences.)

Additionally, I'd like to know what you think these speakers could handle and what would be considered a good upgrade in power. I know the 1070 is no slouch but I also know that based on the specs, these speakers should be able to handle a LOT more power.

I'm trying to do this on a budget, as I still consider it an experiment. So I'm looking for suggestions on makes/models of amps that might be located on Audiogon for relatively cheap (around $500-$600 or less).

I'm open to all suggestions - please share your opinions. Thank you!
Posted by: gonk

Re: Would like opinions on amplifiers - 11/05/08 12:47 PM

There are any number of good amps in the used marketplace. You could keep an eye out for a used Outlaw 7100 or 7125 (there's a couple 7125's on Audiogon right now, ranging from $550 to $725). You might also see some Anthem, Rotel, or Parasound stuff in that price range.
Posted by: AvFan

Re: Would like opinions on amplifiers - 11/06/08 04:01 AM

Another option is ATI, the OEM of Outlaw's multichannel amps. For example the 1505 is a very respectable five channel amp with 150 watts per channel at 8 ohms. They show up on eBay (there is one on there now) and Audiogon pretty often. I don't have any experience with the 1070 but I think as a general rule you can expect some improvement in the sound quality when using a separate amp. There are a lot of variables (the quality of the receiver's amp section, quality of the separate amp, etc) in this statement and there are those in the saloon that explain the technical reasons why this is often the case. I observed a big improvement when I hooked up a separate amp to the receiver I had before the gear I have now. Enjoy your search.

Re: Would like opinions on amplifiers - 11/06/08 02:12 PM

Thanks guys - I'm looking forward to trying to find a good amp on the cheap (relatively speaking, anyway.)
Posted by: Keta

Re: Would like opinions on amplifiers - 11/06/08 03:57 PM

How about Outlaws own 2200 or the older 200 or the closely related NHT A1.

Re: Would like opinions on amplifiers - 11/06/08 07:18 PM

I'm assuming you mean 2 or 5 2200/200's?

I would like to probably do a 5 channel amp as opposed to 5 monoblocks - simply because I'm new to separates. Also, space is a bit of an issue...WAF issues.

I've considered going with a 2-channel for just music. I haven't ruled it out actually. But I'm not sure how that works . If I have a 2 channel amp for listening to music, but a 5 channel receiver for listening to movies, won't my soundstage be all of out whack with the front 2 ampd and the remaining 3 not? if so, is there an easy way to use the receiver for LF and RF speakers when I'm in movie/tv mode?
Posted by: gonk

Re: Would like opinions on amplifiers - 11/06/08 09:09 PM

You could use two monoblocks for the fronts and let the receiver drive the center and surrounds, or use three monoblocks and let the receiver just drive the surrounds. Proper calibration (and of course you will be calibrating after a hardware change like this, right? wink ) will allow you to mix & match amps in this manner.
Posted by: eekyle

Re: Would like opinions on amplifiers - 11/11/08 03:41 PM

As being a brand new member of the Outlaw Saloon I've had a great time looking through the various posts.

Noticing this post in particular, I'd like to interject that what you may be experiencing is not an electronics issues but might be a room acoustics issue.

Please bear with me on the dry reading until I can get to the actual "meat" of this post.

While I don't want to limit anyone from purchasing new equipment (that's the fun part right?), please consider your room acoustics as a potential caviat for your sound issues.

I'm a small A/V installer in the Midwest that has rekindled putting in HT and 2 channel A/V equipment after being out of the business for 15 years. With all the digital advancements in electronics and speakers, I noticed that sonic clarity has been achieved (not to be confused with ear pleasing sound in my opinion) with great success.

However, with great sonic clarity and multi-channel systems, general room acoustics now play a greater part in the overall sonic experience.

My point is this. What you may be experiencing is unforseen bass standing waves on the bottom end of your system (since you reference that bass is more prominent at higher volumes) or that you're actually creating overtones at high frequencies in your room that essentially make "white noise" noted as sharp displeasing sound that limit what you want to hear in your ear at higher frequencies.

I would suggest maybe some ultra critical listening to your present system to determine if the source of your listening issues stem from actual equipment or are an effect of your room creating the above sound effects. Increase the listening volume in discrete jumps and then listen to music that enhances the issue, or just use a pink noise generator (if you have one) with increasing volume to recreate the problem.

If you determine that is, in fact, an acoustics issue, there are simple things to try.

Point your subwoofer in an odd direction in your room (assuming the Earthquake Sound SuperNova MKIV12 is a 12" sub??) or to add any large floor standing vases you have in your house into your HT room (i.e. creating some hemholtz resonators to change the standing wave pattern).

For overtones, throw an additional rug on the floor or put a bunch of pillows (like 10) on your couch/recliners in the room.

Basically, anything to substantially change your room acoustics to define if it's an acoustics issue or actual equipment issue.

After you determine that, you can take more reasonable measures to combat the problem (i.e. add/change carpet, put in sound absorbant materials on the wall/ceiling, etc.)

From recent installation issues I've had, the room has essentailly had just as much to do with the actual sound quality of the HT/listening room as the equipment itself.

If you've considered this approach to your issue already, please disregard the post.

If you haven't, I hope this helps your quest.

Cheers!
Posted by: Lizard King

Re: Would like opinions on amplifiers - 11/19/08 03:57 AM

I use an Anthem amp is it is nice. Ice Module amps look good for HT so check of D-sonic.

Liz

PS. Nice to read a post from you Reds!