More reason not to buy from Monster: Lawyering up against the little guys

Posted by: BloggingITGuy

More reason not to buy from Monster: Lawyering up against the little guys - 04/02/08 05:17 PM

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014622

Apparently Monster is going after Bluejeans and others for having connectors too similar to Monster's patents.

Can't compete in the marketplace? Then they'll just compete in the courthouse, I guess.

Anyhow, it's further reason not to buy their products (not that we really needed more reasons).
Posted by: gonk

Re: More reason not to buy from Monster: Lawyering up against the little guys - 04/02/08 06:44 PM

That's a shame. It looks like Blue Jeans has pulled the Tartan cables in question off of their site. What's funny to me, though, is that the standard BJC products (which use Canare connectors, not included in the threatening letter) are still less expensive and better quality than Monster's typical offerings.
Posted by: tru blu

Re: More reason not to buy from Monster: Lawyering up against the little guys - 04/02/08 09:34 PM

There you have it…litigation as a refuge for the scoundrel.
Posted by: Hammer

Re: More reason not to buy from Monster: Lawyering up against the little guys - 04/15/08 04:15 PM

Bluejean fights back...this is great!

http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/blue-jeans-strikes-back
Posted by: tru blu

Re: More reason not to buy from Monster: Lawyering up against the little guys - 04/15/08 04:59 PM

Yeah, and apparently Monster's been trying to do damage control. The Tartan offerings are back up on the Blue Jeans site.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/press-releases/monster-cable-responds-a-message-from-noel-lee

Re: More reason not to buy from Monster: Lawyering up against the little guys - 04/15/08 05:19 PM

Yeah that letter from Noel Lee is apparently kind of old and doesn't really pertain to the current situation according to what I've read on the Monster vs BJC thread on AVS.

Re: More reason not to buy from Monster: Lawyering up against the little guys - 04/15/08 07:37 PM

Now that's an impressive response by Blue Jeans, on a number of levels...

Re: More reason not to buy from Monster: Lawyering up against the little guys - 04/15/08 07:43 PM

Oh and the Tartan cables in question are not back up on Blue Jeans site as far as I can tell.

Only the Tartan HDMI cables which were never part of the dispute, as far as I know.

Re: More reason not to buy from Monster: Lawyering up against the little guys - 04/15/08 07:54 PM

The Tartan Cables are on their own separate site. Ironically, I'd not heard about Tartan before now, but based on the prices I'm seeing on the Tartan site , I can see that being my recommendation of choice for friends and co-workers looking for reasonable cables at a minimum cost (those cases when even stuff like Blue Jeans or Outlaw cabling is too pricey) - if others do the same, Monster's original C&D effort is likely to help BJC's Tartan subsidiary...

Re: More reason not to buy from Monster: Lawyering up against the little guys - 04/15/08 08:00 PM

Ahh thanks gonk. smile

Alex
Posted by: rance

Re: More reason not to buy from Monster: Lawyering up against the little guys - 04/17/08 11:56 AM

Booyah!