Oppo working on Bluray transport

Posted by: BloggingITGuy

Oppo working on Bluray transport - 02/22/08 07:14 PM

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/02/20/oppo-next-to-create-a-new-blu-ray-player

Looks like the end of the format war will be a good thing indeed for those looking for a good transport.

Sound like Oppo will be coming out with a Bluray transport sometime later this year (hopefully).

Definitely something worth waiting for as most of the current transports seem to be lacking features or are too expensive.

Oppo definitely has a knack for delivering high quality products at the right price point.

Interesting stuff indeed...Anyone else hear about this through other sources?
Posted by: gonk

Re: Oppo working on Bluray transport - 02/22/08 07:33 PM

Indeed they are... , but I get the impression that this is less a change in internal policy and more an admission of existing plans. It also sounds like they are still in the early stages. We might start to hear some news about planned features this summer (based on the comments in the Engadget post), but I have my doubts about actual hardware appearing before early 2009.
Posted by: BloggingITGuy

Re: Oppo working on Bluray transport - 02/22/08 07:37 PM

Yeah, you may be right, but a pre-christmas 2008 release would be the cats meow.

Regardless, I think I'll wait until their bluray offering is released for general public consumption.
Posted by: gonk

Re: Oppo working on Bluray transport - 02/22/08 07:51 PM

I think there are a fair number of folks who are planning to sit it out until OPPO gets something to market, especially since the Engadget blurb appeared.
Posted by: edcon

Re: Oppo working on Bluray transport - 02/22/08 11:02 PM

You can put me down for one of those who will have to give serious consideration to waiting for the OPPO. I was already waiting for release of the Panasonic DMP-BD50 expected sometime this summer.Given the quality and price point history of OPPO I may just wait it out!