Noise Cancelling Headphones

Posted by: EEman

Noise Cancelling Headphones - 11/11/12 09:23 AM

My daughter bought a cheap set of noise cancelling headphones for listing to music and movies on her laptop. She was bragging about how good they sounded and said I should try them. So I did and as soon as I put them on I was hit with mega amounts of feedback in my left ear. Took them off, put them back on, same thing. Gave them back to the kid, no feedback for her. Put them back on, feedback. Called the boy over, he put them on, nothing. I put them back on, feedback. We tried changing our locations but the only time there was feedback was when I was wearing them. As soon as we turned the noise cancelling off the feedback went away. Turned it back on and the feedback was back.

Any thoughts as to why they would feedback only on me? Other than the obvious conclusion that I’m a robot or have a chip in my or something.
Posted by: S. Sharkey

Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones - 11/11/12 03:51 PM

That's really strange. I have a pair of noise cancelling phones, but they are the Bose QC15. No feedback or anything else. They have a tiny mic outside each ear muff that the system uses to cancel the sound waves with. Perhaps the mic on your phones is picking something up from inside the speaker on the left side. Do the phones seal properly around your left ear.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones - 11/11/12 06:36 PM

Hearing aid? does the feeback occur with the phones on backwards?
Posted by: 73Bruin

Did you try switching ears? - 11/12/12 12:30 PM

I tend to agree about the probable fit issue. Can you switc the earpieces on those headphones?

Re: Did you try switching ears? - 11/12/12 04:10 PM

No hearing aid (yet)

Tried rotating the headset and the problem stays with the left side.

Tried the headphones again on the home theater downstairs. Works great for the kid. Feeds back on me.

More testing tonight.

Re: Did you try switching ears? - 11/12/12 04:41 PM

So to summarize, it doesn't matter whether the right or left transducer is in your left ear, you (and you alone) get feedback. If so I can't imagine its anything other than a fit issue combined with how the unit senses external noise.

Do the headphones allow you to switch earpieces (e.g. my shure earbuds allow the use of 3 different sizes of black cones, two sizes of foam sleeves and silicon cones)?
Posted by: S. Sharkey

Re: Did you try switching ears? - 11/12/12 05:22 PM

Have you determined that you indeed have a good seal around your ears, with for example no eyeglass arms interfering or hair or bone structure which prevents a good seal?

Have you determined if/where the microphones are on these head phones?

Re: Did you try switching ears? - 11/13/12 08:58 AM

Can't switch earpieces.

However the kid did find out that if you apply pressure to a certain area inside the foam surround you could get the headphones to into the feedback mode. And it turns out my glasses, through the years, have become a little bent on the left side. The right side still fits snug. No glasses, no noise. Neither of the kids wear glasses. Mystery solved.

Thanks for the help. smile

Re: Did you try switching ears? - 11/14/12 12:45 PM

Would have never guessed it would be a glasses issue. I was guessing internal ear shape, since the older, apple ipod style earbuds, are painful for one of my daughters and me to wear.