Is anyone using this for rear surrounds?

Posted by: jamst174

Is anyone using this for rear surrounds? - 06/01/11 01:46 PM

I've been running a 3.1 system for nearly 2 years now as a compromise with my fiance. While she is willing to deal with my obsession until we get a dedicated media room, she doesn't want to deal with wires running through the living room. I've also been planning on upgrading from my 1050, but I haven't spent the money yet since I won't be able to enjoy true surround sound anyway.

Would the OAW3 and a 2 channel amp be a solution for my rear surrounds? I don't think I'm willing to spend $700 on two 2200's, but there has to be a decent 2 channel amp out there that would work for this application. Once I have a media room and can run the wires, I would use the OAW3 for my subwoofer. Or should I just stop being lazy and run the many feet of wire around the wall? Thoughts?
Posted by: EEman

Re: Is anyone using this for rear surrounds? - 06/01/11 02:49 PM

The OAW3 will work fine for you application.

I was going to use the Behringer A500 amps (~$200 for 2-channel) before I chose the Outlaw 7075. The outlaw combo deal was just too good to pass up. Finding a decent two-channel amp for not too much $ should be pretty easy.
Posted by: gonk

Re: Is anyone using this for rear surrounds? - 06/01/11 04:00 PM

I agree with EEman. The OAW3 and a stereo amp would work fine. Lots of good amps on Audiogon, plus some little stereo amps floating around that could work well enough for surrounds. You'll still need a place in the rear of the room for the amp and its wires to live, but that avoids the need to get wires from the receiver.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Is anyone using this for rear surrounds? - 06/01/11 07:22 PM

You could get two self powered speakers and feed them signal from the OWA3. Likely to cost more $$$ than Gonks plan though. Another possible path to go down is to use some computer speakers with a sub and two satellites. You just plug it into the OWA3 and voila instant sound. You can usually find a set that has a bass volume control so you can turn the bass down and leave the satellites as your surrounds. Cheap and it might do in a pinch until you can get it all set up the way you want. Who knows, maybe the fiance likes it well enough to let you go whole hog.
Posted by: gonk

Re: Is anyone using this for rear surrounds? - 06/02/11 12:29 AM

I'm assuming from the sig that there are a pair of Outlaw Bookshelves sitting unused. A nice little amp of some sort would be worth tracking down in that case...
Posted by: jamst174

Re: Is anyone using this for rear surrounds? - 06/02/11 09:37 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone. That Behringer has gotten good reviews, and it is about the price I want to spend. And yes, I do have a pair of Outlaw Bookshelf speakers collecting dust!

I was looking at the manual for the OAW3, and it only shows a hookup for a subwoofer. Mono of course. Would the setup for rear surrounds be: stereo RCA to 1/8" wire -> transmitter unit -> receiver unit -> 1/8" to stereo RCA wire-> amp -> speakers?
Posted by: EEman

Re: Is anyone using this for rear surrounds? - 06/02/11 10:29 AM

Originally Posted By: jamst174
Would the setup for rear surrounds be: stereo RCA to 1/8" wire -> transmitter unit -> receiver unit -> 1/8" to stereo RCA wire-> amp -> speakers?

Yes, that's how you'd do it. The OAW3 docs say that it comes with only one stereo 1/8" to stereo RCA adapter, in which case you'd need to buy another one. I'm having trouble remembering if mine actually came with two of the stereo adapters. I thought they did but I'll have to check as I suffer from mild CRS.
Posted by: 73Bruin

Re: Is anyone using this for rear surrounds? - 06/02/11 07:46 PM

Don't forget ebay. I have seen some nice Parasound amps sell for under $300 with the older high wpc amps like the HCA 1200 going for near the top of that range and lower wpc amps like the 750 (75wpc) going for under $150.