Alumni Products

Posted by: MeanGene

Alumni Products - 08/10/07 01:42 AM

In one of your last emails you stated than your 1070 had joined the illustrious company of alumni products. As a long time Outlaw and owner of a 950 I have always resented being part of the discontinued gang. I think it would be more appropriate to be considered an "Alumni". Great idea, disseminate.

Gene

"Thus, the Model 1070 joins our list of "alumni" products."
Posted by: gonk

Re: Alumni Products - 08/10/07 02:57 AM

"Alumni" products is a rather cool way of putting it - maybe even have a "product alumns" page on the web site for them... wink
Posted by: garcianc2003

Re: Alumni Products - 08/10/07 11:23 AM

I am a long time CARVER owner (20+ years) and something that started at CARVER that has been perpetuated by Sunfire is to call those "Hall of Fame products". I think other companies (Polk Audio comes to mind) call them "Vintage", etc.
I have seen the term "alumni" at other places (can't remember where) but, IMHO, I believe it hasn't caught on because the marketing folks might wonder if they are making the company's current line of products seem like they have not graduated yet or, worse yet, give their new products the status of "freshmen".

Young people who look at some of my old gear call it "old school" - I take that as a compliment.

I am OK with any positive label. I just don't like "retired", "discontinued", "not supported", etc.
"Alumni" sounds good to me. As long as we agree that my 990 is working on its post-graduate.
Heeeey... I just thought of something... what if when a product joins the rank of the alumni it gets a "degree" based on popularity, customers' comments, etc.?

And another one! (feeling creative this morning). Since "alumni" doesn't really sound like an "Outlaw", how about "fugitives of justice"? Ha!
I think we would have to deal with marketing again... Alumni is cool.
Posted by: Cadboy

Re: Alumni Products - 08/10/07 02:17 PM

Seeing how these products are "Outlaws", perhaps the discontinued ones could be called "Legends".
Posted by: tedjack

Re: Alumni Products - 09/23/07 02:27 PM

I like "Legends".
Posted by: Helen K

Re: Alumni Products - 07/12/10 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By: garcianc2003
I am a long time CARVER owner (20+ years) and something that started at CARVER that has been perpetuated by Sunfire is to call those "Hall of Fame products". I think other companies (Polk Audio comes to mind) call them "Vintage", etc.
I have seen the term "alumni" at other places (can't remember where) but, IMHO, I believe it hasn't caught on because the marketing folks might wonder if they are making the company's current line of products seem like they have not graduated yet or, worse yet, give their new products the status of "freshmen".

Young people who look at some of my old gear call it "old school" - I take that as a compliment.

I am OK with any positive label. I just don't like "retired", "discontinued", "not supported", etc.
"Alumni" sounds good to me. As long as we agree that my 990 is working on its post-graduate.
Heeeey... I just thought of something... what if when a product joins the rank of the alumni it gets a "degree" based on popularity, customers' comments, etc.?

And another one! (feeling creative this morning). Since "alumni" doesn't really sound like an "Outlaw", how about "fugitives of justice"? Ha!
I think we would have to deal with marketing again... Alumni is cool.

Thanks you for the post.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Alumni Products - 07/13/10 07:58 AM

Perhaps we should call them "Dead and Alive"
Posted by: Jimna

Re: Alumni Products - 07/13/10 10:42 AM

Grateful Dead Gear?
Posted by: ez2bking

Re: Alumni Products - 07/13/10 02:19 PM

Tombstone?

Corralled?
Posted by: tru blu

Re: Alumni Products - 07/13/10 06:19 PM

I think "Legends" is pretty cool, though it may also be a little too vague to put a fine point on "discontinued". Under the circumstances, I don't mind "retired" so much; "Legends…in retirement"?
Posted by: beyond 1000

Re: Alumni Products - 04/29/15 11:38 PM

Prior to getting into Home Theatre I also had Carver products.

M-500t - sold it but can't remember how and to whom
M1.0t (two of them) - sold them, one each to two cousins
TFM-15 - too weak - returned it
TFM-35 - still too weak - returned that also
TFM-45 - good amp - lots of power. Can't remember what I did with it.

Got into Home Theatre and the rest is history.