I hope outlaw appreciates

Posted by: rmilewsk

I hope outlaw appreciates - 01/16/11 01:50 AM

those of us that have patiently waited for years as they work out the issues with the new processors. I could easily have taken by business elsewhere but have stuck with the Outlaws because they are a special company and have created great products coupled with great service.
Posted by: PeterT

Re: I hope outlaw appreciates - 01/16/11 09:17 AM

rmilewsk,

We really do appreciate your loyalty. Our canceling the 997 last year was a necessary decision. We literally had thousands of interested customers, but we found so many things wrong that the factory was unable or unwilling to address that the decision to us was clear even though we knew we would take a large hit.

We are planning an update soon on the 978. As it is obvious to many, the development process is slower than we want but the progress towards what we want in this product is moving nicely. Based upon some customer feedback we have altered some features and that necessitated a more robust DSP. We will soon send out an update to all on what the 978 will contain.

We are also being extremely cautious about ease of use, and reliability. Every company, regardless of size, has had problems in varying degrees when launching their processors. Some have had severe ongoing issues and we very aware of what that means for customer confidence.

Our friends at Marantz did an absolutely great job with their processor, but even they had a few glitches that had to be addressed. Also please appreciate how long it took them to launch an HDMI 1.4 product (and they are part of a billion dollar conglomerate). We have a design team that is scattered around the world (Europe, India, China, and here in the US) We are working to get it right and of course we are also working with Audyssey to make sure their interface and ours ties together.

Logic would tell you that we need this product as much as you want it (After all we have a line of power amps that will be paired with this processor to say nothing of other accessories). So are efforts are not casual. That said, our task is to correctly pull all of the various elements together and I can say with no hesitation this is the most complicated product we have ever developed, in a world where technology is changing every year.

Thanks for keeping the faith.

Peter
Posted by: GaryB

Re: I hope outlaw appreciates - 01/16/11 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: PeterT
We are planning an update soon on the 998... Based upon some customer feedback we have altered some features and that necessitated a more robust DSP. We will soon send out an update to all on what the 997 will contain.

...we are also working with Audyssey to make sure their interface and ours ties together.

Peter, assuming you are referring to a single pre/pro in the quoted bits above, do you in fact mean the 978?

And if you're hinting that you needed to upgrade the DSP to accomodate Audyssey MultEq XT32/Sub EQ HT (and other features) in response to feedback from myself and others, I must say I'm gratified and delighted.
Posted by: jimmy

Re: I hope outlaw appreciates - 01/16/11 07:20 PM

I see new power amps are in the future . Are they digital?
Posted by: skiman

Re: I hope outlaw appreciates - 01/16/11 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: rmilewsk
those of us that have patiently waited for years as they work out the issues with the new processors. I could easily have taken by business elsewhere but have stuck with the Outlaws because they are a special company and have created great products coupled with great service.

+1

The Outlaws can appreciate us by extending the loyalty discout that was to be offered on the 997.

While I eagerly anticipate the 978 update, it would be reassuring to know that the 998 will in fact also be coming.
Posted by: Hank

Re: I hope outlaw appreciates - 01/17/11 10:50 PM

Well Peter, it was nice to meet you at CES and listen to the impressive Atlantic Tech speakers. I note that you said you'd post a pre/pro update a week or two after CES, so, here we are at week two. What say you? I know you'll include a much asked-for feature, but when will the product ship, or at least when will final beta testing commence/end?
Keeping the faith with my old 950...
Posted by: Retep

Re: I hope outlaw appreciates - 01/18/11 12:21 PM

I am looking forward to seeing what the 978 is going to offer. I will hold off for the 998 and I wonder if it too has had some scope creep. I did consider the Marantz, but I really don't need an upgrade as much as I just want to upgrade. I love toys.
Posted by: Windmiller

Re: I hope outlaw appreciates - 01/18/11 06:30 PM

I believe that there are many of us who understand the position you guys were in Peter and are glad that you made the decision you did. We are so excited about a "Outlaw Made" Processor and wish you and the team all the best as you work on this most challenging endeavour.
Posted by: Pumori

Re: I hope outlaw appreciates - 01/26/11 09:03 AM

Just received the update email. Will there be any incentives for a previous 950 owner?
Posted by: legivens

Re: I hope outlaw appreciates - 01/26/11 10:30 AM

I would like to know if there will be any incentives for 950 owners as well please.
Posted by: skiman

Re: I hope outlaw appreciates - 01/26/11 02:17 PM

There was an incentive for 950 owners for the 997. I think it was $100. I still have mine, and hope it keeps working long enough to be able to decide if I want the 998 vs. the 978.
Posted by: Prof_TM

Re: I hope outlaw appreciates - 01/26/11 03:20 PM

I too have been waiting alooong time to upgrade. My 950 is still going great guns (pun intended) but the handwriting is on the wall. I was on the verge of pulling the trigger for the Marantz 7005 and now this update. Well I've waited this long,another month should be easy. I too hope they support the early adopters and supporters and give us a price break on the 978. And now that I mentioned it - any info on price point would be greatly appreciated (hello Peter?). Please keep it close to the Marantz 7005 - the WAF is inversely proportional to the cost...
Posted by: legivens

Re: I hope outlaw appreciates - 01/26/11 03:29 PM

I'm still quite happy with my 950, but it is about time for an upgrade. Thanks skiman for the heads up.
Posted by: Brandon B

Re: I hope outlaw appreciates - 01/26/11 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: rmilewsk

I find myself having taken my business elsewhere (got an Onkyo 885 when they came out, needed HDMI), but will probably still end up with their new unit when it comes out.