CES?

Posted by: ColonelPackage

CES? - 01/10/12 07:23 PM

Sorry if this has been asked/posted already. I searched the forum for "CES" and got nothing (which I find sort of weird).

Any chance the Outlaws are going to be at CES? Any chance they might be flaunting an pre-production 978?

Is this a dumb question?
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: CES? - 01/10/12 08:37 PM

PeterT will likely be there for Atlantic Technology and maybe for Outlaw. Someone asked in another thread and I think PeterT said he would be there.
Posted by: gonk

Re: CES? - 01/10/12 09:31 PM

Outlaw does not exhibit a CES. There may be some people from Outlaw at the show, but no booth.
Posted by: Ritz2

Re: CES? - 01/10/12 10:07 PM

Didn't Peter say he'd be in the Parasound booth? And I believe Scott Jackson is in China. smile
Posted by: legivens

Re: CES? - 01/10/12 10:29 PM

I believe so, if I remember correctly. I'm thinking Parasound and Atlantic Technology are sharing a booth. Ritz2 I'd like to ask why you've let most of your stuff die and it looks to me by most posts you're not in the market for anything. Just curious...

Re: CES? - 01/11/12 08:57 AM

Originally Posted By: legivens
Ritz2 I'd like to ask why you've let most of your stuff die and it looks to me by most posts you're not in the market for anything. Just curious...

Well, they're not really dead. The 990/755 and one of the LFM-1s are boxed up and I haven't figured out what I'm going to do with them yet. There doesn't appear to be much of a secondary market for any of it. My second LFM-1 is currently being used with my computer and doubling as an end-table. smile

We're hunting for a house here in the US after a few years of me commuting back and forth to China so I haven't had the bug to rebuild a real system yet, especially since we're in a smaller 2BR apartment until we move.

That said, I have been eyeing the Integra 80.3/Onkyo PR-SC5509. smile I've just been reluctant to spend the $$$ until I've got some proper space to install everything. I'll also probably get a complement of Maggie MMGs (which I'll mod) and might even return the 755 to service to drive them. I'd rather go to a more efficient "digital amp" if I can identify one that I like when it's time to buy.

Best,
Posted by: legivens

Re: CES? - 01/11/12 12:31 PM

That's cool man. I took the RIP as dead. LOL I understand now. Wasn't sure if something had turned you off of home theater. Thanks for answering; I was only curious.
Posted by: mdrconsult

Re: CES? - 01/12/12 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Ritz2
I'd rather go to a more efficient "digital amp" if I can identify one that I like when it's time to buy.

Best,

OK, I have to ask. What's a digital amp? Is that an amp that take 1's and 0's as input and outputs 1's and 0's that are bigger?

Ritz2, I hope you know I'm just kidding around with you. I've seen you posting here for sometime and I know you're a fairly knowledgeable guy, so I must assume you're referring to Class D amplification, correct? In another life I used to design and build amplifiers of all different varieties, Class A, B, AB, C(not good for quality Audio), and even played with D. The most common misnomer about Class D amplifiers is that people call them "digital" amplifiers. The fact of the matter is that D is simply the next letter after C. I could go into a big long dissertation on the merits of Class D and how way back in the 70's I though that was going to be the De facto amplification methodology once they perfected this new fangled thing called ICs. I really thought that once they started designing Integrated Chips solely for audio purposes that Class D amplification would be a no brainer to take over. I guess I was wrong, huh! Anyway, I'm glad to see that there are more and more manufacturers developing quality Class D amplifiers.

OK, I'm now officially stepping off my soap box and you may all go back to whatever it was I distracted you from doing.

Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

Re: CES? - 01/12/12 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By: mdrconsult
Originally Posted By: Ritz2
I'd rather go to a more efficient "digital amp" if I can identify one that I like when it's time to buy.

Best,

OK, I have to ask. What's a digital amp? Is that an amp that take 1's and 0's as input and outputs 1's and 0's that are bigger?

Yes, a class D amp. smile Amplification without the boat anchor and without a lot of the energy wasted on heat output.

Best,
Posted by: Retep

Re: CES? - 01/12/12 08:28 PM

While talking about amps. Did any of you see this announcement by THX

THX® ANNOUNCES HIGH EFFICIENCY ANALOG AMPLIFIER TECHNOLOGY

http://www.thx.com/press-releases/thx-announces-high-efficiency-analog-amplifier-technology/

http://www.hometheater.com/content/thx-rethinks-power-amp
Posted by: gonk

Re: CES? - 01/12/12 08:40 PM

I heard about that. It sounds like an interesting alternative to class D amplification, combined with an interesting battery tech that would be useful for portable devices but not terribly relevant to home theater.

Re: CES? - 01/12/12 08:54 PM

I don't know enough to comment but from their own press release it appears they will be targeting home theater.

Quote:
This scalable THX technology enables the low-profile design of cool-running, high-powered amplifiers for use in everything from HDTVs, powered speakers, automotive audio systems and handheld devices to performance-driven applications, such as top-of-the-line audio/video receivers and audiophile-quality amplifiers.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: CES? - 01/12/12 09:56 PM

It could be combined with a display of some sort to become a home theater receiver which could bluetooth to speakers in the room without AVR or Amps. Lots of WAF potential. Hurry, kill it now before they find out!!!
Posted by: thekaleideion

Re: CES? - 01/12/12 10:43 PM

A quote from the hometheater.com caught my attention. "Anyway, the result is a powerful low-profile amp that runs cool and efficient, avoiding both the power piggery of Class A and the problematic performance of Class D."

Reminds me a lot of how Yamaha talks about their P series amps. "Class-AB sound quality, response and power with class-D efficiency".

Would be interesting to know how similar their approaches are.
Posted by: happy2

Re: CES? - 01/12/12 11:01 PM

There is also the H class amp which Emotiva used in their MPS-2 which is more efficient.

Re: CES? - 01/12/12 11:28 PM

I have one of D-Sonic's B&O ICE Amps and think it's great, but this sounds ideal. I'm curious what the cost will be for a multi channel home theater unit.

Re: CES? - 01/17/12 10:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Retep
I have one of D-Sonic's B&O ICE Amps and think it's great, but this sounds ideal. I'm curious what the cost will be for a multi channel home theater unit.

I stumbled on these guys the other day:

http://classdaudio.com/

Made in America. Roll your own or let them roll it for you. That might be an interesting choice until some other American manufacturers jump on the higher efficiency bandwagon.

Best,
Posted by: praedet

Re: CES? - 01/17/12 02:30 PM

^^^I have a Class D SDS-254 that I made to go with a Dodd Audio Battery Powered tube buffer and I like it an awful lot for 2 channel...