Reon in 886

Posted by: Grog

Reon in 886 - 03/12/10 04:22 PM

I'm wondering how well 886 owners feel the reon video scaler works...
How good is the picture when scaling (and/or "processing video") a regular cable/sat tv channel with reon compared to the HD channels that your cable/sat service provides going thru something without a scaler?
Any opinions apreciated.
Thanks,
Grog
Posted by: gonk

Re: Reon in 886 - 03/12/10 04:58 PM

I've used Reon in my 885, so I can offer some comment regarding its use with cable. The Reon chip is a pretty nice video processor, but it's not going to make SD channels look like HD. You'd be hard pressed to find a video processor that would do that. What it can do is make those SD channels look less like an over-compressed and badly-deinterlaced than the cable box will. The cable boxes I've used have dreadful scaling/deinterlacing performance, so if you can set the box to output a basically unprocessed video signal the Reon can do a consistently better job.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Reon in 886 - 03/13/10 12:17 AM

I only have two video sources hooked up to my 886 and both output HD so no upscaling is used.
Posted by: Brandon B

Re: Reon in 886 - 03/14/10 02:36 PM

The improvement in satellite for me was not worth any mucking it might do with my HD sources, so I have it bypassed.
Posted by: ryck

Re: Reon in 886 - 03/14/10 06:14 PM

I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250 HDC cable box. I use a Monoprice 1 in,2 out splitter (HDP-102). All connections are HDMI. With this setup I can watch cable TV with or without the 886. The only reason I use the 886 is for sound processing. I don't see a difference in the video.