Need help w/ Listening mode presets

Posted by: cp1966

Need help w/ Listening mode presets - 02/01/10 11:27 AM

I just did a reboot on my 886 and I am still trying to complete the initial set up. The issue I am having is getting the listening mode preset set right.

For example, I have a Toshiba HD A2 HD-DVD player connected to my 886 via HDMI, and it is input "Aux 1" on the 886.

In the "listening Mode Preset", chapter 5.1 on the on screen menu, there are several selections to choose. Here is what I currently have it set to;

Analog/PCM........Direct
Dolby Digital......Dolby Digital
DTS......DTS

However, when I put in a dvd (regular, not HD) the sound is output in "multi".

When I put in the HD DVD of "Troy", which does have Dolby True HD, I cannot get the 886 to recognize the lossless audio track.

When I put in the Blu Ray John Mayer, "Where the Light Begins" in my PS3, I am able to have the 886 recognize the Lossless audio on the 886.

The only difference in the listening mode preset I can see is I am able to select PLX as an option with analog/PCM.

How can I get the 886 to simply play Dolby Digital or DTS, let alone Dolby True?
Posted by: gonk

Re: Need help w/ Listening mode presets - 02/01/10 01:17 PM

First, the HD-A2 is not an HDMI v1.3 device. The HD-A2 cannot pass a TrueHD bitstream via HDMI. Instead, it must decode internally to multichannel PCM and output that. Likewise, unless your PS3 is one of the new Slim models, it cannot bitstream the new formats and must instead decode them to multichannel PCM. So that's why you aren't seeing TrueHD or DTS-HD bitstreams.

As for the other issue, what player are you putting the DVD's in? The HD-A2 and PS3 are both probably decoding the DD and DTS bitstreams from DVD's and outputting multichannel PCM. Your DVD jukebox, HD-PVR, and PS2 should be able to give you DD and DTS bitstreams.
Quote:
The only difference in the listening mode preset I can see is I am able to select PLX as an option with analog/PCM.

Do you have a 5.1 speaker setup or a 7.1 speaker setup? If it is 5.1, then Pro Logic IIx will not be an option with Dolby Digital, DTS, TrueHD, DTS-HD, or Multichannel PCM. That is because all of those are 5.1 formats and there is therefore nothing for PLIIx to do.

Re: Need help w/ Listening mode presets - 02/01/10 04:12 PM

Sorry, I was not aware that the A2 would not pass lossless audio. Not a big deal as I only have 5 or 6 HD DVDs.

I was placing standard DVDs in the A2, but I cannot get the 886 to play it in dolby digital.

I also have the Sony Jukebox and the 886 does recognize the dolby digital and DTS soundtracks.

I also use my PS3 (slim) for Standard and Blu Ray DVD, and the 886 will output Dolby Digital, DTS and the lossless.

The DirecTv HD DVR that I have also puts out dolby digital and the 886 plays that as well.

I have my daughter play the movies that she likes on the A2, but I use it at times as well. But usually I use the PS3 or the Jukebox.

All 4 of these sources are connected by HDMI.

I currently have a 5.1 speaker set up, but hopefully I will be connecting two rear surrounds for a 7.1 system soon. I have had the speakers for the 2 rears for almost 3 years, and I have no excuse for not installing them. frown

Re: Need help w/ Listening mode presets - 02/01/10 04:51 PM

Quote:
I was not aware that the A2 would not pass lossless audio. Not a big deal as I only have 5 or 6 HD DVDs.

It's not actually a limitation since you're using HDMI. The lossless formats are getting decoded - it's just happening in the player instead of in the processor. You are still getting the lossless audio, even if the 886's front panel isn't saying "TrueHD".
Quote:
I was placing standard DVDs in the A2, but I cannot get the 886 to play it in dolby digital.

Again, you are getting Dolby Digital - the player is decoding it. The 886 should be reporting that it is getting 5.1 PCM with both HD-DVD and standard DVD. I wouldn't sweat it.
Quote:
I currently have a 5.1 speaker set up, but hopefully I will be connecting two rear surrounds for a 7.1 system soon.

Once the back surrounds are in place and enabled in the 886, you will find that you can apply Pro Logic IIx to 5.1 sources.

Re: Need help w/ Listening mode presets - 02/01/10 05:06 PM

So, regarding the A2, what should I select for a default listening mode?

And, if the display on the 886 says "multich", does that mean it is doing DD, even though the little "DOLBY DIGITAL" light on the left side of the display is not bein lit up?

Re: Need help w/ Listening mode presets - 02/01/10 06:13 PM

When it says "MULTICH" it is getting a multichannel PCM signal. It has no idea what the signal was originally (Dolby Digital, TrueHD, DTS, or whatever). Since you still have 5.1, there's nothing more to do. Leave it on MULTICH for the A2. When you add the rear surrounds, you can use Pro Logic IIx to expand it from 5.1 to 7.1.

Re: Need help w/ Listening mode presets - 02/14/10 02:03 AM

Gonk,

I finally (after 3+ years) installed my rear surrounds and recalibrated the 886 via Audessy. It recognized them , calibrated them and sound comes out from them during the Audessy test.

I am pretty sure I have everything on my PS3 set to output the lossless audio (HDMI Bitstream) and the 886 displays DTS MA. However, when I play a Blu Ray in my PS3 the Rear Surround lights on the front display do not light up.

Do I need to change the listening mode to Pro Logic IIx?

I cycled all the way thru all of the listening modes (by using the push button on the front of the 886) and I could not get them to light up. I tried Quantum of Solace, Cars, Dark Knight (all Blu Ray) and I cannot get the lights to go on (to indicate the back two rear surround speakers are being used).

Thanks again!
Posted by: fdxsteve

Re: Need help w/ Listening mode presets - 02/14/10 02:18 PM

I don't have a ps3,but I have the same thing happening on my 7.1 set-up with my Oppo blu-ray. The lights only come on when the dvd or bd is using the 7.1 format. I listen with dolby pl2x on tv all the time and it seems to work ok. Try these movies on bd: The Golden Compass, Narnia-Prince Caspian,Hellboy 2,or The Forbidden Kingdom, all in 7.1 sound.

Re: Need help w/ Listening mode presets - 02/15/10 07:47 AM

Originally Posted By: cp1966
I am pretty sure I have everything on my PS3 set to output the lossless audio (HDMI Bitstream) and the 886 displays DTS MA. However, when I play a Blu Ray in my PS3 the Rear Surround lights on the front display do not light up.

It's a new PS3 Slim, right? What Blu-ray are you using? Most DTS-HD Master Audio discs are only 5.1.
Do I need to change the listening mode to Pro Logic IIx?

For the discs with 5.1 tracks, you can use PLIIx to involve the rear surrounds. That's what I do. The front panel display will still not show the rear surrounds lit up, though, because that display is used to identify the speakers that are active with the incoming signal.
I cycled all the way thru all of the listening modes (by using the push button on the front of the 886) and I could not get them to light up. I tried Quantum of Solace, Cars, Dark Knight (all Blu Ray) and I cannot get the lights to go on (to indicate the back two rear surround speakers are being used).

Thanks again!

None of those are 7.1 tracks, so even when the rear surrounds are active because of the processing mode, you won't see them lit up.

Re: Need help w/ Listening mode presets - 02/15/10 05:02 PM

Thanks to both fdxSteve and Gonk;

I have the new PS3 slim. I guess I thought the lights for the rears on the 886 would light up if the speakers were active, not just if the soundtrack was 7.1 surround.

If I select PLIIx as a surround mode, I assume I lose the lossless DTS or Dolby mix? I can use PLIIx for regular (standard definition) DVDs also, correct?

I should also add that when I watch a Blu Ray and the soundtrack is a lossless format, the volume, punch and impact that is heard is incredible!

Re: Need help w/ Listening mode presets - 02/16/10 08:26 AM

If I select PLIIx as a surround mode, I assume I lose the lossless DTS or Dolby mix? I can use PLIIx for regular (standard definition) DVDs also, correct?

No. Pro Logic IIx is applied after decoding - whether it is decoding DD, DTS, TrueHD, DTS-HD MA. It takes the multichannel PCM data produced by the decoder and applies the PLIIx processing to that. You can use PLIIx with DVD and Blu-ray.

Re: Need help w/ Listening mode presets - 02/17/10 08:16 AM

Theater Dimensional is meant for use with just two speakers. If you have surround speakers set up, I would recommend not using it.

Actually, the number of speakers you have is probably the most important detail for offering suggestions to this question. Do you have a 5.1 system or a 7.1 system?

Re: Need help w/ Listening mode presets - 02/18/10 02:49 AM

Gonk, I now have a 7.1 set up. What do you mean by "Theater Dimensional"?

Not that I have done any critical listening yet, but I did use PLIIx earlier tonight on a regular Dolby Digital broadcast and the rear surround speakers were active.

Re: Need help w/ Listening mode presets - 02/18/10 08:33 AM

Theater Dimensional is a processing mode that is meant to be used with two speakers to simulate surrounds. You don't have any need for it because you have actual surround speakers - you are best off avoiding it.

Re: Need help w/ Listening mode presets - 02/18/10 04:10 PM

Is there a DTS mode that is similiar to PLIIx by Dolby?

Re: Need help w/ Listening mode presets - 02/18/10 05:47 PM

Neo:6.

Re: Need help w/ Listening mode presets - 02/21/10 01:01 AM

Thats what I thought, thank you.