2.1 stereo from PR-SC886

Posted by: XenonMan

2.1 stereo from PR-SC886 - 01/30/10 01:24 PM

Is anyone familiar with how to set up the PR-SC886 to output 2.1 stereo? While 5.1 sounds good I prefer my mains handle the signal full range.
Posted by: gonk

Re: 2.1 stereo from PR-SC886 - 01/30/10 02:25 PM

What are you trying to do?

Do you want 2.0 from stereo inputs while still redirecting bass to the sub when listening to multichannel sources? If that's your goal, you may want to look at Pure Audio or Direct modes (as described on page 33 of the Outlaw guide). These disable bass management, which would mean 2.0 inputs would stay 2.0 even if your mains were set to "small."

Do you want 2.1 from stereo inputs? If so, are the inputs analog or digital? Digital sources would be easy, as the bass management will take care of things for you as long as you aren't using Pure Audio or Direct modes.

Re: 2.1 stereo from PR-SC886 - 01/30/10 02:47 PM

I have my iPod outputting to the CD input of the 886 from a DYNEX iPod dock. The output of the dock is analog to the RCA inputs labeled CD. It works really well, but it has always been a 5.1 output from the 886. When I had it connected to the 990 I ran it in 2.1 mode all the time. The 886 has a million features and I was listening via Dolby PL II Music in the Listening Mode Preset. I set it to "Stereo" but I must not have had it up loud enough to trigger the subs. I moved the volume up a little and it seems to be functioning as I had hoped now. The 886 has a feature named "Subwoofer Input Sensitivity" which is what I thought would allow me to adjust the subs trigger feature but alas it is just a way to adjust the subs output from source to source. Does anyone know of a way to adjust the LFM1-EX trigger sensitivity?
Posted by: gonk

Re: 2.1 stereo from PR-SC886 - 01/30/10 03:43 PM

It's not unusual for music to have a harder time triggering a sub's "auto on" mode - there's less low frequency content present when you remove the LFE track, unless you are listening to something like pipe organ.
Originally Posted By: XenonMan
Does anyone know of a way to adjust the LFM1-EX trigger sensitivity?

Best way is to turn down the gain on the LFM-1EX's amp and re-calibrate the sub trim in the processor. It will cause you to increase the gain on the subwoofer output, which will cause the sub output to be higher and make it easier to trigger the sub on.

Re: 2.1 stereo from PR-SC886 - 01/30/10 08:00 PM

Thanks Gonk. I knew you would have a way.