Where does everyone stand on the 997?

Posted by: petemc

Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/07/10 11:38 AM

There are currently 6687 members of the Outlaw forum, it would be interesting to know everyone's thoughts on the status of the 997. I admit that I have jumped ship, but it would be good for Outlaw to see how many are patiently, or impatiently waiting for the 997 to be released.
Unfortunately this forum doesn't enable polls, but maybe we could all vote our thoughts based on the following:

1. I want the 997 and am patiently waiting
2. I am impatiently waiting
3. I am on the fence right now
4. I am close to jumping ship
5. Sorry, I have already jumped ship

Which of the above reflect your opinion and a short reason why to help us all see your viewpoint, maybe?

Pete
Posted by: petemc

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/07/10 11:43 AM

Let me be the first to respond with my vote...

The wait made me re-think my needs, and I realized that while Trinnov sounded like it could be a big deal, it wasn't on my top 10 list. My highest priorities were full HDMI switching, the ability to handle all current audio formats and the flexibility to setup the system as I wanted ... preferred audio decoding based on source material.

I am assuming, of course, that video and audio quality is an absolute must have.

Pete
Posted by: gunslinger

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/07/10 11:58 AM

I have to say I am currently a #2.

I am happy right now with my 970/OPPO BDP-83 combo, but am thinking of upgrading. I am in no hurry and can probably wait for what ever it is Outlaw decides to do.
Posted by: gunslinger

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/07/10 12:01 PM

The only reason that I am a #2 is because Outlaw is irritating me because they seem to be letting so many long time customers down, and are forcing them to seek alternate solutions to their audio needs.
Posted by: aeroguy

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/07/10 02:08 PM

1. For me I'm patiently waiting. Have my OPPO-83 and enjoying the 7.1 direct input on the 990, that is, when the grandkids aren't exercising the Wii. By mid summer, if something doesn't happen, I may jump ship. Currently my investments are to upgrade speakers and I thinking about replacing my home built amplifiers since they are quite large and will not fit in the "designer" approved equipment cabinet.
Posted by: SRW1000

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/07/10 02:32 PM

A year ago, the 997 may very well have been an immediate buy, based on what a great value the 990 has been.

But that was a year ago. The incredible string of problems associated with the Sherwood Newcastle really have to give one pause. It's reasonable to expect some delays with a new product. We can all understand that. This is especially the case with something as (hopefully) revolutionary as the Trinnov optimizer.

Since that time, I've learned to adapt to the limitations of the 990. The analog inputs have helped with that. So has the addition of some Monoprice HDMI switchers. It's not the ideal fix, and there's no lossless audio via HDMI, but it works.

The 997 once made for a compelling upgrade, but time is passing by too quickly, and features are already lacking. In addition to the yet-again changes to HDMI, it lacks HD radio and an ethernet port. The later is becoming more commonplace and almost a requirement at this time, and especially going forward.

While the 997 is still worth consideration, the time it has to hit the market is dwindling. I'm not sure about the price anymore, either. There are reports of the Sherwood 972 hitting eBay for around $1100. That's not a good sign, and the reported problems are giving it (and the unreleased 997) a very bad reputation. That leaves Outlaw with a product that's going to be a hard sell.

Scott
Posted by: casey01

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/07/10 03:38 PM

Despite my positive experience with Outlaw's equipment and service in the recent past, I am afraid I am also one of those that had to move on, not because I wanted to but because of equipment failure and NO 997 to purchase. In many respects, this does not surprise me since this is what happens when you "get in bed" with a company(S/N) that, even at the best of times, has generally been "notoriously late" with even their OWN product introductions!

What must be of considerable concern to all is, regardless of the potential of Trinnov or overall excellent product performance, by the time the 997 is introduced, compared to much of the equipment that will be available in the marketplace at the time, you could have a unit that is invariably already TWO generations behind and realistically, what is the resale value of a two year old AVR/Pre-Pro?

I would hope lessons have been learned.

As Scott already said, even at a REDUCED price from the original $1399, it could be a hard sell.
Posted by: Bernie

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/07/10 03:40 PM

3) I am on the fence right now. My main reason for wanting to upgrade is HDMI (I want to get rid of some cables) and access to the new CODEC's ( I have a PS3). I will eventually get an OPPO, but don't want to deal with the cables. The 997 looks very interesting especially with the Trinnov processing but the processor has no phono input. The Onkyo 886 looks like a great option to me.

With respect to the "time to market" of the 997 it seems to me that only the large players like denon, yamaha, sony, onkyo etc have been able to successfully implement hdmi and new software quickly. Parasound is still working on it, B&K doesn't even make mention of it. Since my main interest is music, I am not to worked up over all of this.

I think an update from Outlaw would be helpful.
Posted by: mdrconsult

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/07/10 04:12 PM

I guess I just couldn't wait any longer. All the reports on the 972 were not encouraging. I found a 886 for about 1/2 of what Outlaw is selling for so I jumped. I have only had it installed for 2 days and so far I am very impressed. SQ is very impressive, a very noticeable step up from the 990. I still have some concerns about using the SMS-1 with the Audyssey room correction. I may try just removing the SMS-1 all together and see how that works.
Posted by: gonk

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/07/10 04:16 PM

How about a hybrid? 1. because 5. - I picked up an Onkyo 885 almost a year and a half ago to use with beta testing the BDP-83. It is good in general, but there are some things (mostly interface or configuration aspects) that I'd like to see done differently and my wife really dislikes it. There are times where I miss the ol' 990, but it went to a buddy in Alabama who I think is enjoying it. I am also very curious about Trinnov.
Posted by: og33

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/07/10 05:03 PM

I'm a 5. The whole 972 mess really makes me wonder if a 997 based on that platform will ever be introduced. While Trinnov is intriguing, I think the rest of unit is going to be somewhat 'obsolete at introduction'. I still have a 970 (which is at Outlaw for repairs) but just ordered an 886. If I don't like that I'll likely get a Pioneer Elite 25/27. I don't think a 997 is in my future.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/07/10 05:31 PM

#5. Sorry but I could not resist the sale on the 886 late last year. I am very happy with the 886 and still have the 990 ready to rumble at my other home. Mostly wanted to get rid of the wires but then hooked up the analog anyway when I got the BDP-83. SQ is awesome when the new codecs are in use. The 886 also has a phono input like the 990. I have a lot of albums which I got to rediscover.
Posted by: Primaz

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/07/10 08:30 PM

My BK processor still works so I am not in a must change yet but have moved from #1 to #2 due to the long delays as its been what over a year? Like many I have full separate power amps (5 in total) so I want a quaity processor mainly for home theater but also audio that is non powered. I just hope they get their act together soon as this is just not good for PR.
Posted by: ndskurfer

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/07/10 08:30 PM

5 and 2

I have to follow gonk's lead with a double answer. I jumped to a 970 to put my 7500 in to operation till the 997 came around. Until 2 weeks ago I was a 1, I've slipped to a 2 (possible 3).
Posted by: Rick S

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/08/10 10:29 AM

With the addition of the Oppo, there's nothing I'm missing.

I won't be surprised if the 997 (as advertised) never shows up and something newer and better does. I don't think Outlaw is just sitting around waiting, doing nothing.
Posted by: ljpchp

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/08/10 11:09 AM

Sorry, I have already jumped ship

The debacle with the Sherwood unit convinced me it was time to move on. If after all of this time the unit has this many problems it will be another year until the 997 appears. It is already becoming obsolete. In addition my 990 died so I had to move forward. My Onkyo PR-SC5507P arrives tomorrow. I will let you know what I think.

I have two systems, one high end stereo system with Aesthetix pre, Halo JC-1s and Sonus Faber speakers, Ayre CD, Clearaudio analog. So I have a pretty good ear. I will evalute the sound of the unit compared to the 990.

For my home theatre set-up I decided that I did not need the highest fidelity unit, but one that works and is available. So far from what I have read most are very happy with the new Onkyo and Onkyo seems responsive to firmware updates to fix the relatively small number of issues.
Posted by: mzpro5

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/08/10 12:55 PM

Like Rick S. the Oppo with my current setup is great and I see no reason to upgrade at this time. If the 997 were available I most likely wouldn't get one at this time because my 990/7700 combo meets all my needs.
Posted by: edcrash1

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/08/10 02:41 PM

1. I am kind of glad the 997 has not yet come out because I don't have to try to convince my wife that I have to replace the 990! I admit though I am mildly concerned that the 997 will be "obsolete" before it is introduced. But, that is an "optical" obsolescence from my perspective because I am not sure what else they would have to add to other systems to make the 997 obsolete for me (e.g.a, I have no desire to add further height channels nor 3-D capabilities, and I do not need any additional HDMI inputs/outputs than what is already planned; but I think that a fully capable 7.1 Zone 2 and/or Zone 3 would be something available in another system that could possibly make the 997 obsolete for me because then I could have another rockin' system piped to my garage, backyard, and/or game room).

Best Regards,
Ed
Posted by: ryck

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/08/10 05:32 PM

Been though all of them.
I have two HT'S. One in my living room the other in my bedroom. My 950 was in the bedroom, the 990 is in the living room. I was patiently waiting to upgrade until the 950 died,and was out of warranty.(Then I was impatiently waiting). My plan was to buy the 997 for the living room and use the 990 in the bedroom. When the OUTLAWS reduced the price of the PR-SC886 I jumped ship. I had OUTLAW BUCKS expiring in February. I got the ONKYO shipped for under $400.00. So for a while I was on the fence again. Along with the PR-SC886 I have a Oppo BDP-83, 5 IRD mb's and a Samsung un46b6000vf. 5 in wall speakers and an OUTLAW sub,XM receiver. I now only use the bedroom HT.
So I'm back to #1,if the upgrade bug starts again when the 997 is available, because I'm not using the Living room HT which consists of:
Paradigm studio CC & 60's front,APD'S side,20's rear, SVS 16-46PC+ SUB,SMS-1,OUTLAW-7125 amp,monster HTS5100,PS-3,SONY DVP-CX995V,VUDU,SONY KDF-60XS955, various cables including OUTLAW. Berkline recliners. When I think how this system will sound with the 997 I'm #2. LOL
Posted by: candyman

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/08/10 11:09 PM

I'm fairly content with my 990/BDP-83 right now. I'd like to upgrade, primarily for HDMI and Trinnov, but it's not driving my upgrade-itis just yet. An additional complication is that the money I had hoped to use for purchasing the 997--and a few more important purposes--is tied up by a business owner who will not refund my money on a cancelled pre-paid speaker order. My circumstances and good experience with Outlaw purchases and service allow me to continue to wait a while longer.

Rob
Posted by: rangler

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/09/10 10:13 AM

I understand and appreciate Outlaw's decision not to release a product with existing performance issues. That doesn't mean 2 years + is easy to take. Ever since the 997 was 1st mentioned I have been waiting for that "place your order" email.
Posted by: Paul J. Stiles

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/09/10 02:53 PM

I'm about a "1.5". Definitely will be in the market, but unwilling buy unless the 997 is really woth it. I'm patiently waiting for the 997 to come out and I'm hoping it is a truly killer product.
Posted by: EEman

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/09/10 04:17 PM

I'm a "1" with a giant caveat that I want to upgrade my speakers first then add a second sub, all of which will have to wait a while because the wife and I bought a boat at the Detroit Boat Show last month.

The boat has a decent sound system though. Any plans for a dash mount, 2.1 channel Outlaw with a 6-disc changer?
Posted by: ColonelPackage

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/09/10 05:37 PM

Put me down as a 2.

I'm currently living with a Rotel RSP-1068 and RMB-1075. The RSP has lost its left front channel. If/when I get it fixed, it will be the second time I've had to send it back to Rotel to be serviced. I've been pretty happy with this Rotel setup but the fact that it doesn't handle HDMI has proved itself to be a big limitation. I like to watch streaming movies on my PS3 and the only way to preserve the AC3 audio is either to connect HDMI from your PS3 to your processor or jump through multiple hoops, repackaging the video file.

In addition, I'm quite anxious to see if Trinnov can better calibrate my speaker settings.

I have an LFM-1 which I love. My neighbors even feel it from time to time. C'mon Outlaw, please get this thing rolling!

Mike
Posted by: Kubrickfan

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/09/10 06:07 PM

I'll have to go with a:

3. I am on the fence right now

I had been very happy at a #1 for the longest time until the BDP-83SE came around. I was living in wait for HDMI control and my desire to try out Trinnov. The Oppo has me quite happy now with all things audio in the analog world. My scoring will change should my 950 finally decide to say good-bye. My new direction then will all depend on current product availability and features.
Posted by: vläd

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/09/10 07:50 PM

I'm going w/ Gonk on this one, a combo of 1 & 5.

I had to pick up something since the 950 that I picked up used to hold me over til the 997 was available, had a failure that would not allow me to select the 7-channel analog input any longer.

If the 997 appears and the reviews are more promising than it's "cousin" then I would probably jump back on the correct ship. ;-)
Posted by: shimrod

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/09/10 09:01 PM

1.5. I warned the wife over a year ago that when the 997 was released I would replace the 970. She is happy it hasn't happened and I was patient. For the last month or so the 970 has been displaying signs of age, with occasional no-audio episodes on startup, so I'm becoming impatient. If the 970 problems become too severe I'll have to go elsewhere. All my music and many of my movies are played from computer files, so the lack of ethernet connectivity (presumed) on the 997 will make it much easier to ditch outlaw and go with another processor. Trinnov is great in theory, and I had high hopes it would be the difference for my bad room, but it's been too long. Right now it's a race between the 997's issue and the 970's death.
Posted by: Retep

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/09/10 11:01 PM

2. I'm patiently waiting. Even when it comes out I wont make an immediate decision. I don't "need" a new pre/pro, but if it's all cooked up to be what I'm hoping for, then I'll go for it. I'm very biased and like Outlaw quite a bit. I've bought into the whole concept of internet direct. I'll probably never buy this type of equipment from a brick and mortar again.
Posted by: bobliinds

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/10/10 02:26 AM

5. Got a good price on a very full-featured alternative and couldn't resist it. Ironically, to help offset the expense a bit, I finally sold my Outlaw 950. To demo it for the prospective buyer, I reinstalled it in my system (I hadn't been using it for awhile) and was impressed all over again with what a clean, good-sounding piece of gear it is.

I'm still a loyal Outlaw, but I needed an upgrade. If Outlaw gets the firmware on the 997 done right (which S/N seems not to have done with the receiver), there's nothing stopping me from selling my new gear and coming back to the corral.
Posted by: tkntz

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/10/10 11:13 AM

1. I appreciate Peter's acknowledgement of the discontent that's been brewing in the silence. I had been approaching a 3 and considering other options, wondering if there was ever going to be a 997. Fortunately for me, my current unit is still operable. Just completely outdated. Believe me, it is not that I haven't wanted to upgrade. I have been waiting for an HDMI capable unit from Outlaw and have been for quite a while. When they announced the 997 over a year ago, I bought an amp on Audiogon and it is still sitting in the box. I had planned to buy one of the first units to be released, but given the bugs on the R-972, I'm going to need to wait to see if the 997 fares better.
Posted by: Hank

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/10/10 01:54 PM

I have slipped down the slippery slope from #1 to #3. Currently looking forward to the news from Peter at week's end.
Posted by: southpark

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/10/10 01:58 PM

#4 for me.
Posted by: Robert Holloway

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/10/10 10:12 PM

Sorry I jumped ship today Onkyo HT RC180
I'm a 5 :-(

I hope the new preamp is awesome though and one day I'll return

Rob
Posted by: PeteC

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/11/10 02:58 PM

I've gone through stages 1-4 and am close to becoming a 5. I started building my system a little over 2 years ago but was in no rush. I actually started with the intentions on buying a 990 but when the whole HDMI thing took off, I figured I'd wait until Outlaw's next processor. I started getting all the other components and as you can see from my signature there's one thing missing. I've thought about buying a $300.00 receiver to use in the meantime but then I'd have to pursuade to the wife why it wasn't good enough come upgrade time. I'm cautiously on edge waiting for Peter T's news at weeks end, but also close to pulling the trigger on an Integra DHC 80.1. I've considered ADCOM GTP-870HD (not HDMI 1.3), NAD and Rotel comparable products but they don't have balanced outs. I've also wanted to give Outlaw every chance possible for my business. So here I am. Now a 4.
Posted by: jimmyjames8

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/12/10 05:17 AM

Was a 5 long before the Outlaws flushed the 997. I bought a Marantz HDMI receiver at least a year ago and use it as a prepro and video switcher only. Time to market is critical in this day and time. Outlaw should have rebadged something a year ago. Life is too short to wait on some pie in the sky wonder box. I have been enjoying Blu-ray and the attendant audio codecs for some while while Outlaw has been losing sleep and sales. Too bad.
Posted by: AGAssarsson

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/12/10 05:54 AM

IT'S DEAD. TIME TO MOVE ON.
Posted by: Paul J. Stiles

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/13/10 11:12 PM

The 997 should NOT be listed as "discontinued" because it never was "continued". It should be listed as "cancelled"!

While many of us potential customers have been waiting patiently or impatiently and may be very disappointed or even angry, we did not lose any money. However, I'm sure Outlaw has lost a big chunk of change, lots of man or woman hours, and some credability.

I hope they have a lot more success with the 998!
Posted by: E'pin Sen Ob

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/16/10 01:09 PM

Cancelled or whatever doesn't really matter to me. It is dead and gone so time to move on to the next big thing. I am just wondering if they are going to transfer everyones information to a new waiting list or if they will start a completely new list for the 998. Also, I have waited this long and I guess I will stay aboard what has now become the 998 ship. I just hope they give us regular updates on their progress.
Posted by: tkntz

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 03/16/10 01:22 PM

Given that they have more control this time, more updates are a possibility, but I'm not holding my breath...
Posted by: mazda

Re: Where does everyone stand on the 997? - 01/11/11 09:12 AM

Thanks for the info..........