What To Do????

Posted by: ljpchp

What To Do???? - 02/28/10 10:19 AM

My 990 dvi switching just died and the volume control already does not work anymore (have to use remote) I have been waiting patiently for the new 997, but I have had it and now I need something that works and is real.

Any sugesstions, any opinions?

Is Anthem really worth the high price tag?

How are the Marantz 8003 and the Onkyo units. Any help appreciated.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: What To Do???? - 02/28/10 01:27 PM

The Onkyos are great alternatives. I have the 886 but many of the newer entries have most of the same fetaure set and are a lot cheaper. Have you checked the cables for problems? You can directly feed your display with the sources and still use the 990 for audio processing until your new unit arrives.
Posted by: og33

Re: What To Do???? - 02/28/10 04:12 PM

I'm looking at replacing my 970 with either an 886 or a mid level receiver to use as a preamp. Lots of alternatives out there between Onkyo refurbs or Pioneer Elites. Anthem is out of my price range.
Posted by: petemc

Re: What To Do???? - 03/02/10 01:39 AM

I went for the Integra 40.1 which is working nicely for me, and is in the same price range as the 997. It is a good quality, well built unit.
  • HDMI switching for audio and video
  • 2 HDMI outputs (main and sub)
  • Audyssey speaker calibration
  • Good sound quality (I play SACD/DVDA/DTS/TrueHD etc)
  • Good picture quality (can't complain)
  • Integrated internet radio
  • No phono input
  • Supports 7.1

There is also the 80.1 which has some upscale features.
Posted by: ljpchp

Re: What To Do???? - 03/04/10 10:00 PM

I have officially jumped ship. I purchased an Onkyo PR-SC5507P that everyone seems to be happy with. I heard that there is some relay noise when skipping commercials on a dvr but I contacted Onkyo and they got back to me in less than 24 hours telling me that a firmware update was coming in a week or two to fix it.

It has been months since we have heard anything useful about the 997.

I will send my 990 back to Outlaw since it is still under warranty and you will find it on Audigon or ebay soon.

Thanks for the info.
Posted by: og33

Re: What To Do???? - 03/05/10 05:33 AM

Guess I don't blame you. I'm going to do the same thing and get an Onkyo/Integra or go the receiver as pre-pro route. My 970 has been with the Outlaws 2 weeks now. Don't know what I will do with it whenever it returns.