I need a phono preamp recommendation

Posted by: cp1966

I need a phono preamp recommendation - 10/12/08 09:13 PM

I plan on getting the 997 as soon as it becomes available, and I want to keep my turntable too.

So, since it looks like the 997 will not have a dedicated phono input, I will need to get a seperate phono preamp.

I would rather not spend more than $100.00. Any suggestions?
Posted by: jgambino

Re: I need a phono preamp recommendation - 10/13/08 01:50 PM

At that price your best bet is a used one on Ebay or Audiogon. I have a Rotel RQ970 that lists for $200 new, but it can be found for $100 used. Also NAD, Parasound and Cambridge Audio have phono preamps for under $200 new that can be found used $100 or less. Any of them would be a good choice.
Posted by: Jamester

Re: I need a phono preamp recommendation - 10/21/08 05:58 PM

The Cambridge Audio 540P Phono Pre-Amplifier sells for around 100 bucks.

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=28&Title=Azur+540P+Phono+pre-amplifier
Posted by: Daryl

Re: I need a phono preamp recommendation - 10/21/08 09:18 PM

To bad Outlaw Audio didn't have one of there own or re-market someone elses.
Posted by: gonk

Re: I need a phono preamp recommendation - 10/21/08 09:35 PM

I do seem to recall some folks suggesting to Peter Tribeman in another Model 997 thread that the RR2150's phono pre-amp section could get packaged in its own little chassis and have some interest around here. He didn't dismiss the idea, but I doubt anything could happen in time to accompany the 997 to market even if they'd already decided to go ahead and do it.
Posted by: Laventura

Re: I need a phono preamp recommendation - 10/22/08 02:07 PM

I've got the 540P from Cambridge that Jamester mentions ....
and I must say....It revived my vinyl collection cool
Posted by: Lizard King

Re: I need a phono preamp recommendation - 10/23/08 02:58 AM

Marchand Electronics makes a nice, small, Tubed based unit!
Posted by: Mike in Virginia

Re: I need a phono preamp recommendation - 11/08/08 12:43 AM

I've been reading about some phono preamps that are available with built-in USB ports. Anyone have first hand experience with this? Is the quality as a phono preamp any good?
Posted by: scubadj

Re: I need a phono preamp recommendation - 11/17/08 11:24 PM

CP, You might look into a Zphono preamp by Parasound. They can be had for around $75 used (new around $150). Check it out:

web page

Don
Posted by: dcbingaman

Re: I need a phono preamp recommendation - 02/16/09 02:46 AM

The best phonostage you can buy for less than $ 2000.00 is the Pass Pearl. Unfortunately you need to build it yourself, (see www.PassDIY.com) (Even a Geico cavemen can do it.) It is essentially a simplified unbalanced version of the Pass Xono, which is Anthony Cordesman's reference. Some think the Pearl sounds better than Xono, but it only has 60 dB of gain, so you will need a X-Former for an MC. Use a Lundahl Type 9206 from K&K Audio.
Posted by: vläd

Re: I need a phono preamp recommendation - 02/16/09 07:02 AM

dcbingaman thanks for that link, but you may want to remove the parenthesis from it. wink
Posted by: barumba

Re: I need a phono preamp recommendation - 02/17/09 09:12 PM

Best available. Price is right.
I have used this NAD preamp (link below) for many years. It has been quite reliable. The price is reasonable, given the performance.
http://spearitsound.amazonwebstore.com/N..._source=froogle