Klipsch RC-3 v LCR

Posted by: inacoma

Klipsch RC-3 v LCR - 12/11/10 12:37 PM

System: Outlaw 990 with 7125

Pre/Pro will be replaced by Marantz av7005 (in box right now). I wanted to compare speaker to speaker with the currents setup before I introduced more variables.

I've had the Klipsch RF-3/RC-3/RS-3 system for around 10 years, it has never let me down.

I went ahead and bit on the LCR sale and bought 3 LCR and 2 sets of surrounds.

I only unboxed one LCR, turned off my subs and all speakers except the center channel. I started to watch Lord of the Rings only center channel mode wit DTS. I wanted to compare center to center...

How long do the LCRs need to break-in? Right now it's a dead heat between the two center channels (except for the fact the LCR cost a ton of money). The Klipsch seems to have a "fuller" sound...I'm speculating here that the horns and age contribute to this. The LCR seems to have a more midrange driven sound. Actually a bit disappointed in it's "breadth" compared to my Klipsch. I have a well dampened room, set the LCR to 0 for boundry (no walls near it), Center position, and +2DB for the high.

I guess i'm asking...how long should i give the LCR to "break in"...maybe that's the issue?

thanks.

Kumar
Posted by: inacoma

Re: Klipsch RC-3 v LCR - 12/11/10 03:12 PM

I Just did a similar test with right and left....I just don't think these LCR speakers sound as good as my RF-3....am I crazy? They don't sound "Full"...I tried with and without the LF1-EX sub...it just seems that the LCR are missing something. Maybe it's cuz I'm used to Klipsch horns and the larger fuller sounding cabinet? I have all the speakers setup just about the same. even the 39" above the floor (tweater to floor). I'm fixing to return all the speakers unless someone can tell me a tip, trick. I Have almost an equalateral triangle with the proper toe-in as well. Speakers are around 30 degrees from viewing position. I think all is optimal. My wife says the same, she notices little to no difference, if anything she thinks the klipsch bring the movie more to life. Ugh, i was really hoping these would be all they were cracked up to be. Now I have to spring around 100 bucks to ship them back....
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Klipsch RC-3 v LCR - 12/11/10 11:04 PM

I have always trusted my Klipsch to perform well no matter what the input. Unlike others, I enjoy the horns immensely.
Posted by: Keta

Re: Klipsch RC-3 v LCR - 12/12/10 12:40 AM

Trust your ears. Keep what sounds good to you.
Posted by: Scott

Re: Klipsch RC-3 v LCR - 12/13/10 03:14 PM

Hi Kumar,

I didn't see it mentioned in your post, but what subwoofer are you using in the LCR system? Unlike the Outlaw BLS speakers and your Klipsch RF-3's, the LCR's require a subwoofer as they roll off quite aggressively below 80Hz. I suspect the "something missing" you and your wife have observed is the bass!

Scott
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Klipsch RC-3 v LCR - 12/13/10 11:15 PM

Also, how do you have them mounted? The Klipsch have the height for your ears when sitting. They are also much more efficient than the LCRs so will sound better for a given amount of power because they will be louder.
Posted by: Trekkie

Re: Klipsch RC-3 v LCR - 02/01/11 02:44 PM

a tangent:

hey if you want to sell that RC3 to someone my kids ripped mine off the wall recently and I was trying to find a used one to replace it. I'm still in love with mine and not ready to do a full upgrade laugh
Posted by: Retep

Re: Klipsch RC-3 v LCR - 03/28/11 12:54 PM

Horns and dome tweeters sound completely different. I have a klipsch surround system and M&K S-150. They sound very different and both are good for movies.

For music, I have to say Klipsch sound great for rock and acoustic, but I don't like them for symphony, dance or ambient.

I also have a pair of Polk Audio SDA-2A's, which are over 20 years old. I prefer them for listening to music.

I imagine the LCR's are similar to my M&K's as they have the same size mid's and tweeters. I don't know how much a stereo image they give off, but the M&K's are extremely flat, very similar to studio monitors, which I also have. Klipsch tend to color the music a bit more and are much more in your face.

Depends what you like, but I think you need to give both a long listen to before you decide. In big scene's the klipsch will produce a wow factor, but in more subtle scene's I think you'll be able to detect placement and nuances better with the LCR's. Just a guess since I haven't heard them and that's my experience with the M&K's.