auto signal detect issue

Posted by: Chewchilla

auto signal detect issue - 12/18/08 03:09 PM

Hey all,

Just picked up a system from Outlaw (RR2150, 2 BLS, LFM-1 Compact). Have only had it set up for a day or so, and only have had the system turned on 3 times, BUT noticed an issue with the auto setting on the LFM-1.

2 of the 3 times I've turned the system on, the sub did not turn on when the switch was set to Auto (light remained red). Should that instantly happen when the receiver is turned on? Does it only happen once I start playing music? Or does it only happen when the Low-frequency signal reaches a certain threshold level? What should I expect here?

Reaching over to switch the sub on manually is not such a big inconvenience, but I'd like to know what should be going on.

And second question - the bass x-over switch is labelled IN/OUT, the manual refers to switching to BYPASS to rely on the receiver's integrated bass management. I presume OUT=BYPASS?
Posted by: butchgo

Re: auto signal detect issue - 12/18/08 03:33 PM

I have the same problem with my LFM-1 EX.
The auto sensing circuit is not very sensitive so the sub will not come on until it sees a certain signal strength so at low volumes the sub will not come on automatically.
If you crank the volume up then it works just fine in the auto mode.
What I do is just turn the sub on and that way it works just fine even an the lower volume settings.
If you are not comfortable leaving it on all the time then just switch back to auto mode when you are done.
Posted by: gonk

Re: auto signal detect issue - 12/18/08 03:39 PM

The sub's automatic sensing will not be triggered until there is an audio signal going to the sub - as a result, it should not come on immediately when the receiver is turned on. It'll take a certain level of signal to trigger it.

As for the sub crossover, I believe that your read on the in/out setting is correct (out bypasses the sub's crossover).
Posted by: Chewchilla

Re: auto signal detect issue - 12/18/08 07:38 PM

Thanks for feedback. I've taken to turning it on ans switching immediately to Auto so that it'll turn itself off automagically.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: auto signal detect issue - 12/18/08 08:17 PM

Is there any reason not to leave subs on all the time? I leave mine on and haven't had any issue but if I am causing some degardation over a long time it would be nice to know.
Posted by: Oy of Mid-World

Re: auto signal detect issue - 12/18/08 11:13 PM

I have the LFM-1 Plus and had the same problem with the "auto" sensing. I played with 990's settings and the sub's dial for a while, then finally flipped the sub's switch to "on" and left it there. The sub has been "on" for 8 to 9 months now without a problem.

Oy