Pulled the trigger!

Posted by: lanion

Pulled the trigger! - 08/11/07 01:09 PM

Outlaw LFM-1 EX on the way. First major sub for me -- will post impressions in about a week!
Posted by: butchgo

Re: Pulled the trigger! - 08/11/07 02:00 PM

Please do. I am seriously thinking about one also but I would like to hear what others have to say first. I would really like to know what difference the plug makes in the overall performance.
Posted by: gonk

Re: Pulled the trigger! - 08/11/07 02:00 PM

Looks like a pretty substantial "first major sub" - look forward to hearing your impressions.

Re: Pulled the trigger! - 08/11/07 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by butchgo:
I would really like to know what difference the plug makes in the overall performance.
From a purely "numbers" standpoint, the plug and associated switch should decrease output volume by a few dB (roughly 3dB, just enough of a change to be detectable by the human ear) while allowing the sub to go about 6Hz deeper (16Hz instead of 22Hz) - sort of a case of "do you want louder or lower?" Although in the case of the EX, the "lower" mode should still give you rather a lot of volume...

Re: Pulled the trigger! - 08/14/07 02:30 PM

Arriving in a few hours! Will post impressions tonight!

Re: Pulled the trigger! - 08/14/07 04:09 PM

smile - Looking forward to it.

Re: Pulled the trigger! - 08/14/07 08:46 PM

Well, LFM-1 EX is up and running and sounds great. As I was hoping the aesthetics go wonderfully with my ebony Polk LSi speakers (with the glossy black top).

The Oliphant Charge in Return of The King and the final scene of The Host at 1:43:10 had some sub 20hz bass and it was certainly very loud and very impressive.

I played around a little bit between max extension and max output, but not enough to tell a strong difference, in part because in max extension it gets louder than I would ever want it in my rather small room (13x10x8).

I don't have much to compare it to as my last sub was a cheap end 8" Velodyne that got down to 37hz (though I do use a Buttkicker LFE that goes down to 5hz... but that is very different). The differences have been pretty astounding, for example the fight scenes in 300 with the giant you can really feel the punches and blows. Great stuff.

The ButtKicker has gotten me used to really feeling deep bass (at least on my... butt), but this is still a huuuge improvement as now I can feel it everywhere and experience heavy room compression and that punch-in-the-chest feeling. I have yet to do any proper setup with SPL meter and calibration disc, so it may improve a bit later down the road.

Re: Pulled the trigger! - 08/15/07 11:57 AM

Sounds like the EX is working out nicely for you!
Quote:
Originally posted by lanion:
I played around a little bit between max extension and max output, but not enough to tell a strong difference, in part because in max extension it gets louder than I would ever want it in my rather small room (13x10x8).
smile - Yeah, in a room that size, I guess an EX could give you all the SPL you'd want even in max extension mode.

Re: Pulled the trigger! - 08/26/07 10:19 PM

Well, I picked up an SMS-1. I have only spent about 10 minutes with it, but it is very easy to use.

Anyway, the LFM-1 EX in maximum extension is pretty much flat to 15hz in my room, so it certainly goes deep!

Re: Pulled the trigger! - 08/27/07 02:48 AM

Flat to 15Hz in-room in maximum extension mode... Yeah, that's getting pretty darn deep. smile

Re: Pulled the trigger! - 09/11/07 01:37 AM

I've switched to maximum output mode and I think I might prefer it. Could just be my imagination though.... I have not had decent time for A/B testing (new job... too much work).

In other news I have a used HSU MBM-12 on the way. I am also thinking of getting some bass traps soon from realtraps.com I think the end is near for all of my bass needs!... for a while.

Re: Pulled the trigger! - 09/14/07 01:00 AM

Well, after recalibrating with the SMS-1 the max output roll-off was about 8db earlier than in Max extension (must be my room!), so I am sticking with max extention. After re-calibrating again it sounds great. I have an MBM-12 and Bass Traps (mondotraps from Realtraps) on the way as well. I will report how big a difference those make.

Re: Pulled the trigger! - 09/14/07 09:47 PM

the Hsu-mbm is up and running... and man. It is VERY awesome. My chest is getting pounded!
Posted by: JohnK

Re: Pulled the trigger! - 10/26/07 08:18 PM

Mine arrived on Tuesday! It comes in two big boxes, one inside the other. Nice packaging! Also very heavy.

Set up is reasonably easy even without a manual. I used the instructions from the LFM-1 Plus to figure it out. Hopefully the manual will be posted soon.

The bass is incredible. Very deep, very musical and tight. I've been listening mostly to music as I just replaced all my speakers. Even with full-range speakers up front, with the LFM-1 EX in the system, there is nothing missing. I hear notes that weren't being reproduced in my old system, even with a subwoofer.

Thanks Outlaw.
Posted by: rychern

Re: Pulled the trigger! - 11/29/07 02:06 PM

Just got my very first Outlaw pruduct, the LFM-1 EX also. I have to say, I was a bit concerned as I have a pretty long room 15x35ish (living room backs up against the kitchen, seperated by a short 4' wall.) I've owned nearly every SVS cylinder sub (except the Ultra series) and due to some medical bills, was downgrading, (or so I thought) to the LFM-1 EX. I was soooo wrong! This guy rocks and shakes the entire place. Much more musical than my previous cylinders and not nearly as boomy. I loved my cylinders, but I think I have a new love now. Looks great also!
Hoping to get the SMS system sometime down the road. Anyway, saved some coin and ended up with a "better" sub in my option. Fantastic product Outlaw! Now I want to add a 2nd or your MBM-12... smile
Posted by: tleavit

Re: Pulled the trigger! - 11/29/07 09:26 PM

I've had mine several months now and I am very happy with it. I was running my older 12" Energy sub down there but the Outlaw rock the place enough so that I took the Energy out. This sub really friggen hammers. Its amazing. Watching Transformers at what is it 1:59 into the movie during the city battle scene makes my walls ripple. This sub is so power full that even through my sound proofing in the room, I can go upstairs on the other side of my house and feel the bass thumping the floor even when I don’t consider it "turned up". I still run the thing at the 4 volume mark (of 10).

Heres the best pic I have of its location:

Posted by: butchgo

Re: Pulled the trigger! - 11/29/07 09:32 PM

rychern,
I have been living with an EX for about a month now and I couldn't agree with you more.
I upgraded from a Polk PSW505, which I thought was a decent sub but the EX showed me what I had been missing all this time. The EX is definitely much more musical than the Polk was and, even though it is rated at only 50 watts more, much more powerful. It blended with my speakers just fine and when the LFE throws something major at it it responds with eager enthusiasm. Congrats & enjoy.
Posted by: mahansm

Re: Pulled the trigger! - 12/13/07 03:23 PM

Two LFM1-EX cartons arrived Monday. They are intended to replace the existing LFM1+. However, right now all three are scattered around the room and active. I haven't had time to play with any elaborate calibration yet, but I think I'm close to having sufficient bass energy available. All three are in maximum bass extension mode (one port plugged, switch set accordingly) and are fed from the subwoofer outlets (with one Y cable) of the 990.

By the way, Outlaw uses the same manual for the LFM1+ and LFM1-EX
Posted by: nfaguys

Re: Pulled the trigger! - 12/13/07 05:31 PM

to mahansm:

Please let us know your thoughts on the following regarding working with the KEF 107s:

(1) 107s with LFM1+
(2) 107s with your new EXs
(3) Whether using the KUBE (I don't recall).

I personally found that the KUBEs weren't necessary due to the addition of the SUB. KUBEs were helpful, I guess prior to incorporation of subs into systems, i.e. when there was just good-old stereo.

Your thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Pulled the trigger! - 12/13/07 07:45 PM

1. In my system, the 107's are set as large in the 990 setup; they get the full range signal. LFE channel and the bass from the surrounds and center channel goes to the LFM1+. I use the KUBE that came with the speakers, as they have no deep bass response without it. Also, each KUBE is serialized and tweaked to work with that particular pair of 107's.

With my room configuration I ended up with the LFM1+ in the right rear corner (only place it would reasonably fit). I could detect a "hole" in the low frequency sound field; the system sits facing across the end of a 33'x 17' room and the subwoofer is in one of the corners. Also, at high volumes on particular movies (intro to Serenity in particular) the combined low frequency response of the system was not sufficient.

2. I've only had the LFM1EXs in place since Tuesday night and have had a very few hours to listen to them. I was distracted by a tweeter failure on my center channel (fixed) and haven't had/taken the time to do a proper setup. 1 EX replaced the LFM1+ in the corner and one went out towards the middle of the room (to the other side of the listening/viewing position(s)).
For now, and just for grins and giggles, the LFM1+ is sitting in front of the stand between the center channel and right front. All three are driven.

Bass response from the 107's with KUBE is tighter and more accurate than either the LFM 1+ or LFM1 EX. However, even with 300 watts/channel they don't develop the impact and depth of the EX.

Dark Side of the Moon is a real experience. Mannheim Steamroller's Christmas album (Little Drummer Boy and Carol of the Bells) played at moderate volume (-18 dB) in 5 channel stereo mode is amazing. I've got to try Still Life Talking by Pat Metheney (track 1, about 6:45 in) for the deep bass notes as well as some movies. My time at home will be limited for the rest of the year, so there won't be much experimentation until then.

Re: Pulled the trigger! - 12/13/07 07:59 PM

Wow!!!
With your feedback it makes me kinda want to use the KUBE. I am also set to large. I don't use the KUBE because I'm running balanced.

Might try unbal.
I'm sure we would all like to see a pic or several of your setup.
Enjoy!!!!
I can tell you do.

Re: Pulled the trigger! - 12/14/07 03:01 AM

Pictures can happen. I didn't mention the custom stand for all the electronics...

Changing from balanced to unbalanced will not have any major effect on the sound. It won't even change the individual channel volume levels. The minor effect could be slightly increased noise, depending on quality of cables and length of run.

I'm actually running three channels balanced and two unbalanced between the 990 and 7500 (the KUBE only has unbalanced inputs/outputs).

Without the KUBE in the system I feel you should set your speaker size to small and cross at about 60 Hz. The Kefs have a pretty substantial rolloff below resonance without the KUBE and you're missing all the bass energy that is intended for the mains. Rather a shame, because with the KUBE they have bass extension and accuracy that few, if any, speakers can match even today.

The downside of using the KUBE is that the electronics inside are 20 years old and the power supply is not up to true audiophile standard. The KUBE will introduce some noise and you will lose a little bit of clarity on the mid and high frequencies.

It would be a very interesting exercise to measure the transfer function of the KUBE and design/build a replacement at today's performance standards. I wonder what it would do for the sound and whether there would be sufficient market for it to be worthwhile. Most sets of 107s that I see for sale are without the KUBE.

Re: Pulled the trigger! - 12/14/07 03:16 AM

manahsm's reply makes sense.

The distance between 990 and 7700 is only 2 feet, so I could probably get away with unbalanced for the fronts and use a KUBE there. Might not add noise since the run is so short. OTOH your point about old electronics is a good one.

Re: Pulled the trigger! - 12/14/07 03:45 AM

From an article by John Ross (original can be found at http://www.john-ross.net/pdfs/maghist.pdf )

My friend Delmar Benjamin is an air show pilot who is best known for his performances in the 1930s Gee Bee racer replica that was built by Steve Wolf and is now in Kermit Weeks’ Fantasy of Flight museum in Florida. Delmar has often and for many years said that for an air show airplane, there is no such thing as too much power. Air show pilot Jimmy Franklin (who was killed in a midair collision in Canada in June 2005) had always agreed with Delmar’s assessment.
Then, around 1998 or 1999, Jimmy mounted a military surplus jet engine with 3000 pounds of thrust between the landing gear legs of his 1937 Waco open cockpit biplane, which already had a 450 HP Pratt & Whitney Wasp Junior radial mounted on the firewall, producing over 1600 pounds of prop thrust.
After performing several test flights to make sure the biplane flew well with a jet engine mounted underneath the fuselage and that everything was working okay, Jimmy lit up both engines, gave the radial full throttle, and did a normal takeoff. He then pulled the airplane vertical and gave the jet engine full throttle as well.
With over 4600 pounds of combined thrust and an all-up flying weight of around 3000 pounds, the 60-year-old biplane had the highest thrust-to-weight ratio of any aircraft on the civilian registry, and it soon accelerated to its never-exceed design speed while going straight up. After easing off the throttles, leveling off, descending, and landing the aircraft, Jimmy got out of his plane, went to a phone, dialed the number of his old friend, and uttered three words:
“Delmar, we’re close.”

As far as having sufficient bass response goes, "I'm close."