Projectors

Posted by: EEman

Projectors - 04/07/11 02:15 PM

I'm thinking about upgrading from my 50" DLP TV to a projector system. Anybody have any suggestions?

I have room for a 92" diagonal screen but since my viewing area is the basement I only have 7' cielings.

Currently I'm considering the Panasonic PT-AE4000U.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Projectors - 04/07/11 04:43 PM

I have been looking at some projectors over the last few months and the Epson 8350 and 8500 are looking very nice for a budget minded electronophile.

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-PowerLite-Ci...2392&sr=1-1
Posted by: Brandon B

Re: Projectors - 05/11/11 07:26 PM

Budget?

Panasonic is good bang for the buck. Epson is arguably the master of LCD, as they make the panels for pretty much everyone except Sony, and usually do a very nice job of engineering good heat management and durability along with solid picture performance.

Since your TV is DLP, you are plainly good with 1 chip, so you ought to look at some of those as well.

Looking for screen advice too, or are you going DIY?
Posted by: EEman

Re: Projectors - 05/12/11 08:42 AM

Budget isn't really set yet. I'm OK with the Panasonic projector cost. Screens run from about $100 to infinity, so yeah, I could use some help there also. Not sure on the make vs. buy: I could go either way.

For a screen I need:
1. 92" diagonal w/ assumed throw distance of 12 feet
2. Acoustically transparent
3. Semi-portable. I'm thinking about having it in front of the DLP, hinging it at the top and flipping it up out of the way for "normal" TV viewing.
Posted by: Brandon B

Re: Projectors - 05/13/11 10:23 AM

Acoustically transparent makes it harder. Perf screens are somewhat more money, and not readily DIYable.

The usual suspects make them, Stewart, Harkness, etc.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Projectors - 05/14/11 07:35 AM

Check out some of the DIY sites for making your own screen. Its very cost effective and the performance is pretty good. I will at least try the DIY route before I spend big $$$ on a screen.