Gear that is no longer produced

Posted by: jwb474

Gear that is no longer produced - 04/30/08 06:32 PM

While discussing the RR2150 USB in a thread above, I just noticed that all of my Outlaw gear is no longer in production (950, 7100, ICBM, 200, LFM-1 s2). Kinda makes me feel obsolete as in an old Twilight Zone episode. Any one else in the same boat?
Posted by: Altec

Re: Gear that is no longer produced - 04/30/08 06:36 PM

The only possible way your equipment could be "obsolete" is if the preamp (950) does not support a video or movie audio format you wish to use.

Power amps and line level gear like the ICBM reached technological maturity a couple decades ago.
Posted by: jwb474

Re: Gear that is no longer produced - 04/30/08 06:50 PM

I still us analog multichannel inputs and a "Smart Surround" decoder to simulate a center back channel. As I understand it the Blu Ray players do internal audio mixing for some of the special features which would require a analog output. Maybe the newer HDMI ouputs can contain a mixed signal or the newer recievers can decode multible streams and mix them. I do have a lot of catching up to do with the new audio formats.
Posted by: gonk

Re: Gear that is no longer produced - 04/30/08 07:43 PM

If you choose a player that offers internal decoding of the new audio formats and you connect your video directly to your display (or through a standalone video switch), you can use your Model 950 and miss out on absolutely nothing.
Posted by: butchgo

Re: Gear that is no longer produced - 04/30/08 11:41 PM

That is why it is worth waiting for the Sony S-550, Panasonic BD50 or an Oppo offering.
All of these should offer the 7.1 analog out and internal decoding for all of the HD audio formats.