surround mode for music and movies

Posted by: gooomz

surround mode for music and movies - 02/18/07 01:44 PM

just curious to know what surround mode you guys use for listening to music? (stereo, 5 channel stereo, bybass, dolby music, dts music)

how about movies? (DTS or Dolby)

i know its about personnal preference but just curious to know what the pros like?

Re: surround mode for music and movies - 02/18/07 01:47 PM

Just taking a Poll for music and movies
Posted by: AvFan

Re: surround mode for music and movies - 02/18/07 01:55 PM

For music I listen to upsampled stereo most of the time. I occasionally use 5-channel stereo when I'm not going to sit and listen. For movies my first choice is DTS (though I'd be hardpressed to tell the difference from Dolby) when it is available on the disc.

Re: surround mode for music and movies - 02/18/07 02:08 PM

when in dolby for movies, do you like to play with dimension, center width, and panarama? thanks avfan.
sincerely,
angelo
Posted by: palmer

Re: surround mode for music and movies - 02/18/07 02:11 PM

Music: Stereo when I'm sitting in one spot, 7 stereo otherwise.

Movies: Dolby PLIIx-C
Posted by: gonk

Re: surround mode for music and movies - 02/18/07 03:55 PM

I use stereo (specifically upsample with my 990) for two-channel music. DVD-A and SACD, of course, don't get any processing.

For TV and movies, I use Pro Logic IIx-Movie (when the source is PCM stereo or Dolby Digital 2.0 it is used by itself, but when it'd a Dolby 5.1 source I apply Pro Logic IIx-Movie on top of Dolby 5.1 because I have a 7.1 speaker setup). If a disc includes a DTS track, I most often use it (with Pro Logic IIx unless it's a DTS ES track). Flagged Dolby EX tracks force EX decoding, but otherwise I use Pro Logic IIx.

Re: surround mode for music and movies - 02/18/07 07:26 PM

gonk, what is upsample stereo? do you listen to bypass often?
Posted by: KOYAAN

Re: surround mode for music and movies - 02/18/07 07:45 PM

For CDs, I often use DTS neo6 ( I find that the DTS gives me a richer sound than Dolby. It's particularly nice for strings)or upsampled stereo. No processing for SACDs and DVD-Audio.
For Movies, DTS when the track is there, or Dolby prologic IIx when I want to emphasis the dialog.
I only use 7 chan. stereo for parties.

Re: surround mode for music and movies - 02/18/07 09:07 PM

Upsample is an option in the 990 that converts digital audio (such as the 16-bit, 44.1KHz from CD's) to 24-bit, 192KHz.

I don't use analog bypass because the 990 has better DAC's than my DVD player (OPPO 981HD).
Posted by: RedSIinPA

Re: surround mode for music and movies - 02/19/07 09:49 AM

I use Dolby PLIIX-C for most of my movies unless the DVD has a DTS. Even then I like to keep the 6th channel running and I don't think the DTS mode on the Outlaw runs the rear channel. Example, Das Boot [Superbit Format] includes both Dolby Digital and DTS. I like playing around with both to hear the differences.

I used Stereo 2.0 for all my music.

Question: is 7 channel stereo even an option for me when my setup is 6.1?

Re: surround mode for music and movies - 02/19/07 10:27 AM

You can use Pro Logic IIx in conjunction with DTS 5.1 sources with the 1070 in order to have the sixth speaker active. You can also use NEO:6 (what was once called DTS ES Matrix).

You can also use "6 Stereo" in a 6.1 setup, assuming that the source is analog or PCM digital. The 5/6/7 Stereo mode can't be used in conjunction with Dolby Digital or DTS sources.
Posted by: UMtiger

Re: surround mode for music and movies - 02/20/07 01:54 PM

For music I use stereo analog
UMtiger