7900 and slight hum

Posted by: mgdurand

7900 and slight hum - 06/23/16 01:02 AM

Hi, cowboys! Has been a long time since I have visited. Have upgraded a lot of components, but still have my Outlaw Audio 7900 heating the HT room. Question. If I turn all noise producing sources down I get a very slight hum coming from the amp. With any gain it is not audible. May try this weekend to see if I can be a sleuth and track it down. Could be a ground loop and successfully dealt with that issue a few years back. Still love this amp and the power for the price.
Posted by: Outlaw Ben

Re: 7900 and slight hum - 06/23/16 12:23 PM

Feel free to send us an email at customerservice@outlawaudio.com so we can be of further assistance. If you do, please start with whether the noise is emanating from the chassis of the amp, or from the speakers, and if it fluctuates in pitch or amplitude.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: 7900 and slight hum - 06/23/16 07:32 PM

When you hear the noise, remove your speaker grills and lightly touch the speakers to feel if the noise is coming from them.
Posted by: Helson

Re: 7900 and slight hum - 06/27/16 12:03 PM

It is normal to hear a slight hum coming from power transformers when AC current is flowing through the coils. The hum is normally audible only within a foot or two. Ground loop issues will cause hum though all speakers, not from the amplifier.

Re: 7900 and slight hum - 06/28/16 02:18 PM

If the noise is coming from the amp you should be able to feel the vibrations at 60hz just by touching the amp.

Re: 7900 and slight hum - 07/19/16 11:53 PM

Taking the analysis road very slowly as I don't have time right now for an extended session. Turned off all lights, fans, etc. and then only turned on pre-pro and amplifier. No hum or noise whatsoever. Will start by turning on most common appliances first to see what gives. Then will move on to inputs/components. Would love it if gremlins struck and noise just magically went away!
Posted by: Helson

Re: 7900 and slight hum - 07/21/16 11:32 AM

Check any lighting that powers on with toggle switching. Had a friend that figured out the DC on his line was caused by his range hood lighting switch.
Posted by: butchgo

Re: 7900 and slight hum - 07/25/16 12:35 PM

I had the same problem with my 7500 so I bought a Channel Islands filtered power outlet and that took care of the problem.
You might want to look into the Outlaw Surgex or the Emotiva CMX-2.

Re: 7900 and slight hum - 07/26/16 12:13 AM

Thanks! May have to look into that!

Re: 7900 and slight hum - 07/26/16 12:49 AM

Did some reading and the Emotiva unit looked like it might fit the bill. I noticed that the combined load recommendation for both outlets is 15A. Given the two power cords on the 7900 I went with 2 of the Emotivas. Will hook up this weekend and keep my fingers crossed.

Re: 7900 and slight hum - 07/26/16 11:59 AM

If it is a ground loop hum it will come from your speakers. Make sure all of your equipment shares a good common ground including your cable/satellite tv wiring.

Re: 7900 and slight hum - 07/28/16 10:28 PM

Got the Emotiva units in. Hum had returned like a thief in the night. I connected a power cord to each Emotiva unit and fired it up. I did not hear hum. Even more convincing - wife did not hear hum. Nothing from the amp except silence! Will hold off celebrating until a week or two pass as I know things like this can come and go. But am very pumped and enjoying the silence. Thanks to butchgo for the suggestion!

Re: 7900 and slight hum - 07/29/16 09:15 PM

Glad they are working for you.

Re: 7900 and slight hum - 08/06/16 04:24 AM

They are definitely working. Hum gone for almost 1 week now. Am very pleased at the sounds of silence. Worth the $175.00 easily!

Re: 7900 and slight hum - 08/08/16 01:41 PM

Good deal.
I know how annoying the humming can be after going through it with my 7500.