BLS vs. Klipsch Heresy III

Posted by: jrichard

BLS vs. Klipsch Heresy III - 10/09/09 02:18 AM

I'm trying to decide on a new pair of speakers for my 2 channel system. Hafler DH-500, Hafler DH-100 pre all designer caps, Rega P2. The price of the BLS with a decent pair of stands is almost the cost of a new pair of Klipsch Heresy III's, $1600. If you add a sub to the BLS's, it's more. Any thoughts or opinions on one vs. the other would be appreciated. Thanks
Posted by: loopy

Re: BLS vs. Klipsch Heresy III - 10/10/09 01:00 AM

The Heresys are a great speaker,but some say you will need a sub with them.I have a set of heresy 2's that I bought new in 1984 I love them, but a little lacking in the very low bass.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: BLS vs. Klipsch Heresy III - 10/10/09 10:03 PM

Both the BLS and the Heresy III are rated to 57/58 hz. It is hard for me to imagine the rating since the Heresys have 12 in woofers compared to the BLS at a little more than 5 in. The BLS are true bookshelf speakers whereas the Heresys aren't, unless you like really big books. The Heresys are much more efficient (+12 dB) and will not need nearly the power that the BLS will to fill a room. I have always thought that big woofers are the way to go for big sound. I have a set of original Advent loudspeakers with a 10 inch woofers in 12 inch frames. They sound great, but they sound even better with a good sub backing them. I would go with the Klipsch and an LFM1 EX.
Posted by: gonk

Re: BLS vs. Klipsch Heresy III - 10/11/09 02:30 AM

Keep in mind that the Heresy III is sealed and the BLS is ported. Compare the BLS's rating to the LCR's rating, and you can see the difference between the two: same set of drivers, and distinct difference in low frequency extension. That's why the BLS can match the Heresy on the low end. Either speaker deserves a sub.