Do I really need $400 speaker cables?

Posted by: Dog_lover

Do I really need $400 speaker cables? - 05/01/08 05:07 AM

I was not sure where to ask this question so I chose this topic. I recently bought a non-Outlaw stereo amplifier to complement my 7500 that's driving my surrounds. My stereo amp puts our 250 watts per channel and will be driving a pair of Martin Logan Vantages. As I was leaving Magnolia, a whole light lighter my sales person chirped, "Do you need speaker cables?" (They used to be called wires.) Four-hundred dollars lighter I slunk out of the store. I milled it around for a couple of days and then returned them. Suggestions??
Posted by: Bob Becker

Re: Do I really need $400 speaker cables? - 05/01/08 11:56 AM

The general answer is "No." You don't say how long your cables need to be, or whether you would/could biwire them. Several years ago I replaced my antique 2-channel system with a Classe integrated amp. I retired the antique ADC 303AXs for B&W towers. I found that a pair of DH Labs Q10 cables made a big difference over my old lamp cord. New DH Labs cables are only moderately pricey, but you can buy them used, in good condition for about 1/2 the cost of new ones. I did that for the mains in my HT setup. But I bought bulk cable from Blue Jeans Cable for the surrounds, and that works fine and cost about $1 a foot for 4-conductor cable.

So skip the exotic stuff, or, if you're hankering for some, buy it used on Audiogon/eBay.
Posted by: gonk

Re: Do I really need $400 speaker cables? - 05/01/08 12:13 PM

I would agree with Bob. Look to someplace like Blue Jeans Cables for good speaker cable that won't break the bank, and you should be in fine shape.
Posted by: tmdlp

Re: Do I really need $400 speaker cables? - 05/01/08 02:44 PM

Dog_lover,
just adding on to Bob and Gonk.
Run away from any high priced exotic cables...
besides Blue Jeans - there is Signal Cable or even Axiom speaker maker has speaker cables.

The money you save can go into room treatments or other gear.
Posted by: og33

Re: Do I really need $400 speaker cables? - 05/01/08 04:45 PM

I agree with all of the suggestions above. I've only owned high priced speaker cables once a long time ago...and I'll never spend that much again.

There are a lot of cheaper alternatives out there that won't break the bank.
Posted by: 73Bruin

Re: Do I really need $400 speaker cables? - 05/01/08 05:21 PM

Every time I hear about outrageously priced speaker cables I am reminded of two things

1) This article in Absolute Audio http://www.avguide.com/products/product-2850/

You will need to download the actual review to see its not a joke. Someplace else I read a review of the same retailer's Oxygen Free speaker cable that was also moderately priced but not quite this cheap.

2) The phrase "God invented Cocaine for those with too much money".
Posted by: tmdlp

Re: Do I really need $400 speaker cables? - 05/01/08 05:41 PM

73Briun,
I second the home Depot cable. Very cool.
I would also throw in Cat5 or Cat6 network cable as an alternative.

thanks 73Bruin...
Posted by: Oy of Mid-World

Re: Do I really need $400 speaker cables? - 05/01/08 11:00 PM

I actually went the DIY route following this product review from Secrets of Home Theater:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_2/ultralink-CL414-cable-5-2003.html

Oy
Posted by: Dog_lover

Re: Do I really need $400 speaker cables? - 05/01/08 11:37 PM

I am so pleased to again be part of this forum. My thanks to ALL of you for your informed and courteous replies. I have never been made to feel like an idiot on this forum and I have made some pretty stupid moves on the home entertainment front!